Thread: Chords again...

Default Chords again...

Looked all over for mandolin chords to the lyrics of a song done by Lonesome River Band called "Listen to the word of God"

I found the lyrics but would really like to find where the chord changes are. Yes I know, I should learn where they are from sound but just i'm still a beginner and it's easier for me to learn where they GO after I see it in print and play it a few times the right way!

Thanks...
    Ace

Default Re: Chords again...

Come on guys! With all the talent that is out here, NOBODY can help me?

Think!
    Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Come on guys! With all the talent that is out here, NOBODY can help me?

Think!
    Yeah, think. This one is EASY! Also, you might have had more responses in the Song and Tune Projects forum.

Yes I know, I should learn where they are from sound
    Yep. The best way ever to learn a song.
    but just i'm still a beginner
    Everybody has to start to learn somewhere. It's as good a time as any to begin learning songs by ear.

The song is basically a I,IV,V song with a bVII thrown in there. It is in E and the intro, the choruses and the breaks all go:
    E D E A E A B E (x2)

The verses go:
    E D E A E B E (x2)

I never heard it before 10 minutes ago. Rhapsody is a wonderful thing.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Thank you! Sorry to bother you and I will make it a point, NOT to ask again! I Promise!
    Ace

<Thank you! Sorry to bother you and I will make it a point, NOT to ask again! I Promise!>

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking if you can't figure something out. But many songs are easy to figure out, even if you only know a handful of chords. If you understand the Nashville Number System, then the I, IV, & V chords are the primary suspects. After that, there's the II chord, and the VI chord. You'll often find the VII chord, which is usually flatted (in other words, two frets lower than the root note, rather than one). Sometimes you'll hear a III chord, like in "Old Home Place". Any of these chords might be minor chords. Just that much will get you a long way.

It's empowering to be able to figure out chords quickly, without struggling over it. It gives you more time to concentrate on actually playing.

Thank you! Sorry to bother you and I will make it a point, NOT to ask again! I Promise!
    I have posted a lot of tabs and chord charts on this site. I am not against helping people learn songs, but what got my goat was your second post which basically chastised the Cafe for not coming to your rescue, and then you demanded that we "Think!" You say you are a beginner, as if that excuses you from using your own ears to try to figure out chord changes. We all started as beginners. If you need a teacher to get you started, get one, but don't come on the Mandolin Cafe and demand to be helped.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

I don's think Ace meant to be as demanding as you might "read". Some times the sarcasm and or joking that someone means in a post gets lost due to the fact that it is text someone is reading and not the voice of someone.

Anyways, don't be hesitant to ask for help, there are lots of very knowledgeable people here. Just be patient, and be cautious of how you write your thoughts in a post.

... Yes I know, I should learn where they are from sound but just i'm still a beginner and it's easier for me to learn where they GO after I see it in print and play it a few times the right way!
    After you've played a while you might notice you actually learn more when you play a wrong chord. They usually stick out like a sore thumb and your brain says Don't do that again!

GVD

You might want to google "circle of fifths" and print it out. If you can distinguish the key
    signature, then refer to printed circle chart you should be able to find the chords for most
    any song. But like anything, practice only makes you better.
    dwight in NC

Well I wasn't going to lower myself to some on this board but thought one more won't hurt!
    Although I visit here daily and have learned a lot, I really thought I could save some time by asking rather than searching and listening to a particular song is sort of like searching.
    I already have a teacher! Problem was he was in the hospital with his son. I was really wanting to work on this particular song while he was busy!
    I meant no harm when posting "think". I figured with 60 some views someone somewhere has heard the song and could direct me, not teach me, to a place I could actually see where the chord changes occurred. I have seen lyrics with tabs and chords before and thought maybe one of you would know of a "different" source for the same type information.
    If I thought for a moments notice that I would be chastised like I was from Jim, I would have never even signed on.
    I see now that this site is like some of the jams I have attended. If your not a "pro" player, sit back and listen!
    If your a beginner, don't get involved with "us". You get the feeling, you just don't fit in!
    Yes, he gave me that same feeling!
    Thanks Jim!
    With that, I will delete my account here and just read!
    Thanks to everyone else who has been kind enough to overlook the beginner syndrome from not only myself but others as well!
    Maybe Jim forgot he was once in our shoes until he made the big time, who knows!
    Thanks again everyone!
    Ace

I am sorry to have sounded like I was telling you that you don't fit in with "us." That was not my intention at all. Re-read my second post above. I thought you were demanding to be helped and it wasn't coming fast enough to suit you. I have posted tabs, posted chord charts and many other ways of helping folks who were having trouble getting songs figured out. I have no problem with that at all, in fact I enjoy it. Here's the problem - a lot of people come on here and they basically say, "Please, Mandolin Cafe, pour musical knowledge into my head, because I want to play mandolin really well, but I don't want to put a lot of time into actually learning, practicing and developing my ears to be able to figure songs out." When you told us to "Think!" it sounded very demanding to me and I just reacted. I'm sorry to have offended you. I hope you don't delete your account on my account, (pun intended.)

As far as where the chord changes occur in your requested song - they happen right where you would expect them to. I posted the chords in their proper order, so all you would have to do is play along with the recording, and when the chord changes on the recording, you play the next chord in the chart. It really is that easy. If you want additional help, shoot me a PM and I'll do a chart with the chords entered above the words so you can see where they are, but I strongly urge you to try to pick it up strictly by ear with the help of the chord chart I posted.

<If I thought for a moments notice that I would be chastised like I was from Jim, I would have never even signed on.
    I see now that this site is like some of the jams I have attended. If your not a "pro" player, sit back and listen!
    If your a beginner, don't get involved with "us". You get the feeling, you just don't fit in!
    Yes, he gave me that same feeling!
    Thanks Jim!>

I really have to disagree with this. I don't know Jim but I have seen many posts by him aimed at helping people by answering their questions. I think this is just a case of "incomplete internet communication", that is, all the nuances of what someone says can't be expressed. I hope you don't feel unwelcome here. Stick around and see if you're impression doesn't change over time. Don't forget, I offered you unqualified help, as did others. Mandolin Cafe is a pretty "beginner-friendly site, imho.