Thread: Rigel plugged in tone

Default Rigel plugged in tone

I would like some opinions from the Rigel owners about their plugged in tone, whether be PA, regular electric guitar amp ; solid state or tube, acoustic amp. What pre-amps are you using? I have used Fishman and currently Wedge piezo that "wedges into my bridge. I'm thinking of either going the way of Rigel, or finding a Collings MT or good sounding Eastman A style and install the Baggs pickup internally... I figure these particular models I can drill the endpin without having to feel too terrible about doing damage to them. I have a nice mando that I want to keep as acoustic.

Thanks in advance.
    Hubert
    Hubert

Default Re: Rigel plugged in tone

I have a Rigel A+ Deluxe and I have played plugged in with it a fair amount. I think the plugged-in tone is as good as it gets for a pizeo. It is way better than my old rig, which was an Alvarez A800 with a Fishman bridge pickup. The Rigel has a much more even and clean-sounding plugged-in tone.

Sometimes in a pinch I will go right in to a Crate AC30 acoustic amp and it sounds pretty good. Usually, though, I either use a Baggs Gigpro preamp or if I need a direct box, a Boss AD-8 processor. Either of those seem to clean the sound up somewhat. Of course, just about any microphone is going to give you better tone than a pizeo, but mikes have their own PITA factors.

I have a Rigel R-100 Deluxe. I go into a standard Boss direct box then straight into the mixing board. My channel has high, mid and low EQ and that's it. In both the mains and my in-ear monitor it sounds awesome - as close to the acoustic sound of the instrument as my mediocre ears can discern. I bought the Rigel specifically for the pickup, but have been more than pleased with the acoustic sound and playability. The instrument's acoustic sound is developing nicely with time. It sounds much better than when I bought it in 2001. I am a BIG fan of my R-100.
    Bob Kirkland
    Rigel R100 Deluxe
    Mix F5
    Epiphone Mandobird VIII

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I have a Rigel A+ and I've been pleasantly amazed at the true sound of the pickup.

On my first use of it, in my studio, I used a passive DI into a no-big-deal solid state mic preamp and then right into a ProTools channel and the mandolin sounded virtually identical to its acoustic sound, without EQ or any other processing tweaks.

I've run it into several PA systems (Rigel-> 1/4"-to-XLR transformer-> PA mixer preamp/channel) with the same result. I haven't tried the Rigel thru an instrument amplifier.

Considering all the discussions I see here on the Cafe about folks struggling to get even
    -acceptable- sounds from nice mandolins via after-market pickups, I feel really fortunate and happy that the Rigel is so good and worry-free.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Though it's not the best premium pick-up made, I think they are very good in general. I always like it when an instrument is designed around the p/u, rather than the other way around, so it's miles above many other aftermarket solutions.

I used a Boss AD-3 acoustic processor. It warms the sound with a little reverb, and has enough simple EQ to dial it in for harshness or warmth depending on room ambience. As a preamp, it also boosts the best acoustic qualities out of the Rigel.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Baggs Para Acoustic DI for an A+ Deluxe; mellowed and "naturalized" the tone; I'm pleased with it.

Thank you for the all feedback. I will definitely keep an eye out. Hopefully there is one out there looking for me as well. I like the notion that it was built around the p/u. The p/u I had in the past were okay, and needed other gear to get it sounding as close to your satisfaction. Again thank you!!
    Hubert

Blog Entries

I have a Gold tone copy of the Regal and I play it straight into a guitar amp and use the Pa mic ot amp it from there
    fred davis