Thread: Wilhelm Lippoth: Funky Swiss 12-string

Default Wilhelm Lippoth: Funky Swiss 12-string

Here is a composite photo I got from a guy in South Africa. This instrument is labeled "Wilhelm Lippoth, Basel." The decorations are burned into the surface of the wood. Ever seen anything like it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lippoth.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	38452  
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

maboka

Default Re: Wilhelm Lippoth: Funky Swiss 12-string

This is exactly the mandolin I have inherited from my grandfather. Mine bears the number 172. If anybody could tell me the rough contruction year - that would be great. I suppose it's around 1910. The drawings/decoration on the mandolinbody are the same.

I guess that the luthier got himself a wood-burning kit for Christmas. I remember when I got mine as a child. It certainly was a short-lived fad back then.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    ...Ever seen anything like it?
    No.

Mandriolas (12-string, four-course mandolins) aren't super-rare, but almost all the ones I've seen have been bowl-backs. The elaborate headstock with the "scroll" ending and decoration is most often seen on continental European instruments (here's Mistinguette's Pearloid-covered show-stopper), so no real surprise on a Swiss-made instrument.

As an aside, it's interesting that the emphasis on "bling" and appearance-before-acoustics that we often criticize in certain Asian-made mandolins, has been around for a long time, and often shows up in European instruments. So we get extensive inlay work, marquetry, painting and other decorations in fairly inexpensive French, German etc. mandolins and banjos.

Wonder how this one sounds? I gather the "missing top piece" is soundhole purfling…?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen: Martin's original post dates back almost 6 years ago. I guess no one ever answered his question. Maboka just revived this thread and has one just like it. Perhaps Maboka can post pics of his (or hers) here?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

maboka

To Jim Garber - hello from Switzerland. You asked for more pics of a mandolin made by Wilhelm Lippoth (between 1919 and 1924, he died in 1925) in Basel/Switzerland.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161210_114411.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	860.8 KB 
ID:	152049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161210_114525.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	732.9 KB 
ID:	152050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161210_114436.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	757.1 KB 
ID:	152051

8. The following members say thank you to maboka for this post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Interesting instrument. Thanks for posting this.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Hi to all,

My name is Michael, I'm doing some reseaech on the life of Wilhelm Lippoth and his instruments. The idea is to create a documentation including pictures of most of his surviving instruments (with the help of the historical museum Basel, Switzerland), and his life as Luthier. Any help is welcome, so please contact me in case if you have one of his instruments, or some further information about his life!

Thanks in advance, Michael