Thread: Playing question

Default Playing question

Ok after approx 2 years of practicing and learning a few songs I have been able to use the four finger chord position on the basic key chords such as
    G,C & D
    A,D & E
    D,E & F
    C,D & E (somewhat)

and I can keep time pretty good with others while playing but my question is,

While playing rythem and chopping how do you learn to just jump "in" and do "fill" or "tremelo" and then get back "out" and start copping again?
    Ace

Default Re: Playing question

Play along with CDs and try to emulate what they are doing. Rinse and repeat.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I guess it is like getting to Carnegie Hall.......practice, practice, practice. It should not matter that when you put in a tremolo or a fill and then try to "get back in" you miss a beat or two before getting back in. Keep at it.

It's kinda like my friend told me about playing bottleneck, "sometimes you have to just close your eyes, through your head back, and let it fly." Just land where you land, you'll eventually land on your feet.
    dwight in NC

Well I DO practice but not with music. Can't seem to hear while I'm playing and then it seems I get off beat at times!
    I would just like to know what exactly to play and when? I see others will play rythm then chop some then do a lick then while someone else is doing a lick the mandolin player will add a little "something" during a pause or long note in the song, then right back into a chop!
    That's what I want to learn... When and What!
    Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Well I DO practice but not with music. Can't seem to hear while I'm playing and then it seems I get off beat at times!
    I would just like to know what exactly to play and when? I see others will play rythm then chop some then do a lick then while someone else is doing a lick the mandolin player will add a little "something" during a pause or long note in the song, then right back into a chop!
    That's what I want to learn... When and What!
    I don't think there's a formula for this. You have to attain feel for the music/song your playing. To get "feel", you have to play with others/recordings and listen to a lot of stuff so it becomes a part of you and your playing.

Also, I wouldn't worry about having to get back right on beat, if you're playing in a band you have other instruments doing that. And there's no right or wrong in music so don't worry

I'd agree there's no formula...it depends on the song and on what others are doing. I have a friend who pretty much just strums guitar...gets a groove in his head and doesn't deviate from that rhythm much (most things tend to sound alike, but he's a lot of fun to play with and will try to sing anything, so it's cool). The couple of times I've played mando with him I do more tremolo/double stops or will pick around the melody, just because he's got the basic rhythm covered...chopping adds some but is mostly redundant unless I vary the rhythm, which sometimes throws both of us off.

Just try to get a feel for the songs you want to learn. I've found that an MP3 player is remarkably helpful in this endeavor as you can put one bud in, leave the other out, and set volume so you can hear the band and also yourself playing. You'll get off from the music at times, but playing that way will also help develop the metronome in your head (mine still ain't right but is getting better). I'm trying to do this with some Monroe standards as of last week, and it's gonna take a while but I think will be helpful...
    Chuck

Here's a little exercise that can possibly help. Learn a few different positions for each chord in the song you are playing. Now, when you chop the rhythm, change chord positions each time. For example, for a song in G. chop 7-5-2-3, 7-5-5-7, 7-9-10-x, for the G, 5-2-3-x, 5-5-7-8, 12-10-7-8, 12-10-10-12 for the C and 2-4-5-x, 7-4-5-x, 7-7-9-10 for the D. Practice changing the fingerings to each different chord for each chop. This will help you gain muscle memory for the chord shapes, then you will be able to come up with fills and tremolos, etc. and go right back to chopping.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me