Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 4-String Emando???

Question Best 4-String Emando???

I'm currently in the market for a new 4-string solid body electric mandolin. I play mostly Christian Rock through a digitech GNX4 pedal. I am currently playing a mandobird that I have been pleased with, but I want to upgrade and use the mandobird as a backup.

I bought an Eastwood Mandocaster about 6 months ago, but the 8-strings just dont fit into my style of play as well as the 4-strings do. I plan on parting with the mandocaster as soon as I get another emando.

I was wondering if I could get some input here from emando players to see if there are any suggestions for a mandolin I would be happy with. I guess my budget would be up to $900, but don't tell the wife!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best 4-String Emando???

Let's see, it would push that budget up another $200 but a mando made by Jonathan Mann would be my current top choice. But closing in on the outside is J L Smith and Andrew Jerman and both of these should meet your budget! One of these guys will probably be getting my money in the next 18 months!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Terry Bales, Steve Ryder, Joel Eckhaus, Kevin Schwab.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I have one of Andrew Jerman's 4 strings and I like it a lot. I think his instruments are a really good value. You could pay a lot more, but why?
    Andrew is great to work with and is very accommodating.

Mine looks like this one except the head is more Gibson-like with two pegs on each side, giving it a mini-me Les Paul look

http://www.crossroadswood.com/images/emando_001.jpg

Have you tried taking half the strings off your mandocaster?

I just got a new J.L. Smith and it is awesome! It looks cool, has great tone, and the volume is even across the strings. There is a review of the J.L. Smith mandolins that you can get to from the emando website, and I have included the link below. Photos of mine are at the other link. I also have a Mann hollow body on order and can't wait to get it. Good luck!

-Frank

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=46786

http://emando.blogspot.com/2008/11/r...-mandolin.html

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I also recommend Andrew Jerman's mandolins. You can see an updated photo of his #11 in my album. It's a beautiful two point with an incredible burst. He gives great attention to the satisfaction of the players who get his instruments. I picked mine up through the Cafe used classifieds, at Andrew's suggestion even though I was on his list for a new one--because he knew that it was the one I was looking at in his gallery when I contacted him about building mine! How many builders would do that? A great builder, a great instrument at a great value, and great customer service: how can you go wrong?

Thanks for all the help. As far as I can tell I am trying to decide between a Smith, Ryder, and Jerman. The Ryder would be an EM-44, and the Jerman and Smith would be single cutaways. Can anyone compare these mandolins? Or at least two of them so that I can have a feel for playability. Thanks again for the help.

Tell them what you want and they can adjust the basic design to suit , neck profile and so forth.

the advantage of talking to the builder himself. Knowing what you want and describing it, is 1st challenge..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The photo posted by Paul above is my Jerman emando. I've been extremely happy with it. Before I got it, I had only owned the Mandobird, Mandocaster, Kentucky KM300E type of production emandos. This one is head and shoulders above the ones mentioned above, and didn't cost an arm and a leg. Andrew is great to work with, and an honest guy. Good luck, Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

get you a moon gazer mando kit, fun fun fun!
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazymandolinist View Post
    get you a moon gazer mando kit, fun fun fun!
    Yeah, if you're halfway handy, a kit is a definite possibility. You'd know the workings of the mando inside and out and could do all repairs/tweaking yourself. Plus, the satisfaction of making your own instrument can't be described.

You could paint this with automotive paint and rub it down for a really terrific finish. I made a Les Paul guitar clone from a kit and the finish came out really dandy. The guitar is definitely not Paul, but for the $160 or so I paid for the kit I'm more than happy with it.

The color is a match for the Fusion Orange Metallic on my wife's Grand Am

I like my Bales emando a lot. He gave me exactly what I wanted: flame maple top and neck, beautiful rosewood board, and an amber finish like a PRS.

Smile Re: Best 4-String Emando???

I have finally decided on a Steve Ryder emando. Finalized everything yesterday. Steve was wonderful to work with and told me to expect my mandolin in 5 weeks. Can't wait till it arrives.

I have learned alot about customization options during this process. I also have developed an obsession with quilted maple finishes and this message board. There is a wealth of information here that I would never have learned anywhere else.

I would like to send out a big thank you to everyone here who gave their input either in this thread or in a PM.

They look great. Which model did you decide on?

I decided on his EM-44 model. I ordered it with a Cherry Burst finish on Quilted Maple with an ebony fingerboard (no pickguard). I went with dual humbucker pickups with split coil switches (to be able to make them both into single coils) for the most tonal variety. Maple neck, mahogany body, Gotoh tuners and banjo frets.

Steve Ryder has been great to work with and was very responsive to all of my e-mails and phone calls. Steve told me that he has some of the best looking quilted maple he has seen currently in stock, so I cant wait to see it. These are going to be the longest 5 weeks of my life.............

I've got a Ryder humbucker and single coil on my emando (built by Ron Lira). They sound great.

A DEAD HEAD

Where would get a moon gazer mando kit or any good kits?
    Some people know a little about
    about a lot of things,i would rather
    know a lot about the little things
    BORN AGAIN CUB FAN

For Moongazer kits, click on the link.

Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Popcorn quilt cherry burst02.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	39324

Here is the first picture of the Ryder EM-44 mando that Steve is building for me. I am expecting another picture towards the end of next week. I cant wait to get my hands on this mando. Patience is not one of my virtues.
    Last edited by Pack Man; Feb-25-2009 at 11:59am.

That's gonna be sweet! What went on with your discussion about pick-ups?
    Wye Knot

Blog Entries

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/...nder/1-41,3-1/

Chicago Music Exchange has 4 vintage mandocasters, 2 from 1956 and 2 from 1970. Best? I don't know. Certainly some of the most expensive.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    That's gonna be sweet! What went on with your discussion about pick-ups?
    I went with dual humbucker pickups with split coil switches (to be able to make them both into single coils) for the most tonal variety.

Question Re: Best 4-String Emando???

She is finished and ready for shipping. Can't wait to get my hands on her. Should I have concerns about the effects on the finish from being shipped fedex air?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EM-44 cherry burst03.JPG 
Views:	284 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	39922

I have a 56 Fender 4 string and a 58 Gibson 8 string. Not for sale of course. Don't know what kind of money you are looking at spending. I love both but the 56 Fender has , hot pickup, super cool V neck and tone to the max. Plus buying one of these is an investment that won't go away.. Get to play it and have fun with a classy instrument of value.. Just a thought.