Thread: classifieds

Default classifieds

I thought there was a 48 hour tryout rule for the classifieds. Is this not the case? Maybe I dreamed it.

Default Re: classifieds

Don't know for sure but I'd say that would be an agreement between the seller and the prospective buyer.

I thought it was more of an unwritten rule(with specifications to be worked out regarding return shipping etc.);not sure.

I wouldn't buy or sell anything without the buyer or seller getting/giving that guarantee. 48 hours is long enough to decide if you got what you paid for.

Keeping a spotless transaction record is absolutely paramount when buying and selling instruments(or anything for that matter). It's good to have people that will provide references for you. Takes a LOT of trust to send off an outrageous amount of cash to an unknown individual.

Get everything discussed up front(e-mails are good) so both parties are very clear on ALL the particulars. That way you don't have to wonder if you dreamed it.

It's not mandatory, but good advice
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TEE View Post
    I thought there was a 48 hour tryout rule for the classifieds. Is this not the case? Maybe I dreamed it.
    There has never been any rule that states this. Ever. But it's certainly what I require when I make a purchase.

I've always worked it out with the buyer or seller. I've never thought there was a "rule"

Blog Entries

Given the incredible opportunity the Mandolin Cafe classifieds provides to sellers and buyers -- a free venue for sellers with a direct connection to thousands of crazed mandolin nuts most of whom are afflicted with one or another form of MAS -- and for buyers a free access countless mandolin experts (I mean that) who are not shy about giving advice -- it would not be at all unreasonable should the Cafe decide that a seller WOULD have to offer 48 hours approval as a condition to post.

I am not saying that it should be the rule -- only that the Cafe would certainly be well within the reasonable expectations zone to require it.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I don't think the cafe should be involved in dictating the terms of a sale.
    Steve

Blog Entries

The fastest way to make this incredible FREE service disapear is to require Scott to police it. Make your own deals, think them through. If either party doesn't like the parameters walk away.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    The fastest way to make this incredible FREE service disapear is to require Scott to police it. Make your own deals, think them through. If either party doesn't like the parameters walk away.

Jamie
    yeah, what he said....

it just doesn't pay to make assumptions. ask the questions, and if you don't like the answers, move on.
    peace........amy

"if you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough." amos swafford

"life is short. break the rules. forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably--and never regret anything that made you laugh. twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did." mark twain

I got a mandolin back after a 48 hour trial period. The tire kicker had scratched up the back and top really badly. Lesson learned.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

48 hour approval is a good practice (though not a rule) for both parties. That said, seller should collect full payment and refund all but shipping, but only if the instrument is returned in the condition it went out. If that were not the case, the seller should be entitled to leverage a portion of the money to pay for these kinds of damages.

Of course, these sorts of conditions should always be understood by both parties PRIOR to any exchange of money or instrument.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Thanks for the answers everyone. I have no problems with the classifieds as they are except for that little nervous twitch I get when I read them! I was just wondering....

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    Of course, these sorts of conditions should always be understood by both parties PRIOR to any exchange of money or instrument.
    In writing! If it isn't in writing it isn't worth the paper it isn't written on.

Tom, does e-mail count as "in writing"? I've done a couple of transactions where the buyer wanted a printed, signed contract before sending the money. Which I was glad to do, but would an e-mail trail accomplish the same thing?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by TomTyrrell View Post
    I got a mandolin back after a 48 hour trial period. The tire kicker had scratched up the back and top really badly. Lesson learned.
    Yeah, we've all got at least one of those lessons. Very similar to the "I don't consign anymore" lesson.

Alan D.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Tom, does e-mail count as "in writing"? I've done a couple of transactions where the buyer wanted a printed, signed contract before sending the money. Which I was glad to do, but would an e-mail trail accomplish the same thing?
    My "legal beagle" says Maybe. I gather from his long dissertation on it that it depends on the state the seller lives in, etc. I always do a hardcopy thing that is real clear in plain English to protect both sides. They print it out in duplicate, sign both copies and FedEx it to me (on my nickel) I sign both and send one back to them FedEx separate from the shipment of the instrument with tracking both ways. All that being said I've still gotten bit in the butt on occasion, you just suck it up to avoid having someone trash you on the internet

Alan D.

The approvals and returns are a cost of doing business. If you really want an approval period best to buy from a dealer.

Few individuals can afford to be burnt, even fewer want to be burnt twice. Do I give an approval period now? Nope. I'm getting less money than the dealer would get so I give less service.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I'm told not to count on it.