Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amplifiers

Default Re: Amplifiers

FWIW, I run My humbucker equipped electric 4 string [an A50 coversion],
    into the A channel of the AC 60 I have , and it works fine. (b-stock it was a bit inside of $400)

with that list,
    - Roland Cube 30X
    - Vox AD30VT
    - Fender Super Champ XD

and a fist full of 'Loonies'

I suppose a shopping trip to some big shop in Toronto, as I see John is an Ontario resident,
    with the electric mandolin in hand is the next step.
    ... hearing is not type-able ...

but it is something to do in side..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks Mandroid. What do you play on the 4 string? Wondering what kinds of sounds you get out of the AC-60. I really like them for acoustic music, and they seem to have a really nice chorus, but that's about it.

BTW, actually some of the small shops in southern Ontario have the best deals, although it can take a bit more work to compare. I wanted a few opinions as I tend to like a lot of things the first time I hear them - I have regretted a few instrument purchases in the past. A shorter drive than Toronto is Brantford, where I can compare the VOX and Rolands head to head in the same shop.

BTW2, 12th Fret in Toronto has one of the new Larrivee F mandolins in stock. I haven't seen it, but David Wren (former Larrivee apprentice when Jean was in Toronto and one of the store owners) tells me it is amazing.
    Johneeaaddgg

Its a CGDA tuned setup , nice jazzy tone . local tavern jam a year ago that was a weekly
    with a piano player & drummer [brushes].

Other situation is with friends and as a play along with the others the tunes are varied .

thing I like is with the other channel, an XLR input , Mix pickup or the Schertler stick-on
    stays hooked up, so pick one up set the other down is all I need to do.

each channel has 3 band EQ , gain, and on/off button for chorus.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I played all three of the Larrivee F mandolins at NAMM. Nice stuff. Sounded very good. I thought the scroll work was a little loose or open, especially on the headstock. They are purportedly built here in CA. That's a definite plus for me too.

Now back to Amps.

Daniel

I play through a 40 watt 2x12 Sunn Solarus combo from 1968 with a '68 1x15 Sunn extension cab. See my post on the "Epiphone Mandobird VIII vs. Eastwood Mandocaster" thread. Sunns don't get nearly enough respect from people other than those in stoner-metal bands, but I grabbed mine and fell in love with both the solid body and acoustic (with pickup) sounds It's one that I have to turn down instead of up usually, and no squeals until I run 2 or more of my silly pedals at the same time. Our guitarist liked it so much that Sold his '68 Bassman and '85 DeVille and got a Sunn Solarus head (60 watt) and a 6x12 cab. He plays a '90's Telecaster, '60's EKO 12 string electric, and a '79 Les Paul through that at times, and a Deering Goodtime Special with a pickup (I forget the type) through it at times, and it stays clean with no squeals. That thing is too loud for live shows when his volume knob is past 3, so an amp with that much power and that much ability to stay clean is a GREAT investment for a mando-junkie. I reccomend a Sunn combo from the mid to late 70's considering the price range you mentioned earlier in this thread. They're not overly common, so finding the right one may take a while. Watch Ebay for 'em. They're good, not too expensive, and are considered by a select few (our numbers are growing) to be better than Fender by leaps and bounds. Snatch 'em up quick, though. The heads are turning toward Sunn, and folks are starting to buy them up to jack up the prices.

Thanks for the suggestion Manophocles. I believe I have walked by quite a few Sunn amps and took little notice. I was just reading that Pete Townsend used to use a Sunn amp set-up in the late '60s. Maybe you have Pete's old rig?! I may have to get one of those TOO when I get a chance, and I poke around a lot of pawnshops etc. so I will get a chance. For now I think I also want a light combo around 30W with digital effects built in, hence the list I have provided above.
    Johneeaaddgg

Still looking for a rig, I picked up a used amp that can make some really neat sounds - it's a VOX DA15 - 15W solid state with built-in effects and a footswitch. At $100 with the footswitch I couln't pass up this little 15W amp.

Having tried them out now, I think the VOX AD30VT or AD50VT is the way to go for me. Not sure if the nomenclature is different, but the new versions of the VOX Valvetronix amps have more memories (4) than the two that the AD30VT has.
    Johneeaaddgg