Thread: David Surette's The Green Mandolin

Default David Surette's The Green Mandolin

I dont know how many of you have it, but David just put up transcriptions for his latest album up on his website.

Just a quick note to announce that the transcriptions (in standard notation and tablature) of the music for the Green Mandolin CD are now posted and available for free on our website, www.BurkeSurette.com. Just click on the Green Mandolin link in the menu choices. You will need to download the tabledit viewer, which is also free. Big thanks to Adam Tracksler of Bryce Creative and Steve Surette of North Country Graphics in getting this up and running.

I did the inputting of the tabs. I think its cool for artists to do this.

--ad

Default Re: David Surette's The Green Mandolin

Thanks for posting that. I looked for those transcriptions a few weeks ago, but they weren't up yet. That is a great CD, but then I like all of his stuff.

Thanks Adam.

Hey folks,

This was an idea to try to make the CD more appealing to pickers, and also to generate a bunch of tunes that some of my students might have in common. I was always interested in the tabs that came with the old Kicking Mule guitar LPs in the 70s (which I purchased in the 80s, and which, I must admit, I rarely actually learned note-for note, truth be told).

Thanks to Adam for his work entering all my handwritten tabs into tabledit, the electronic intricacies of which somehow eluded me. I tried to write out a basic version that was most similar to the way I played the tune the first time through, much like a basic version you would find in a collection of fiddle tunes. I also did not generate tab for the cittern numbers, except the first set of reels (Devanney's Goat/Pigeon on the Gate), which I wrote out for mandolin. The cittern numbers are played in the DADAE tuning, sometimes capoed up to GDGDA.

Anyway, I would be interested to know what some of you think. I hope you find them helpful, and that you'll be inspired to learn some of the tunes.
    Last edited by David Surette; Jan-15-2009 at 7:01pm. Reason: misspelling

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks David.

I've been enjoying your CD for a while now, and now I can try to see if my fingers can follow along!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by David Surette View Post
    ...Anyway, I would be interested to know what some of you think. I hope you find them helpful, and that you'll be inspired to learn some of the tunes.
    Actually, this thread has inspired me to buy the CD.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Thanks Much David,

Particularly like Devanney’s Goat and your tune, Green Mt.
    Dave