Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non leather braided strap

Default Re: Non leather braided strap

Braiding is a simple skill to learn..

even a Belt loom is not that hard to make

2 thread spools and a Comb. in a frame ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by marcodamusician View Post
    Yay. Just want to share that Couch Guitar Straps has made a Vegan Mandolin Strap. What I love about all of their products is that they make everything from reclaimed materials. All of their guitar straps, wallets, camera straps, bags, are made from vintage vinyl that would end up in a dump if they didn't purchase and repurpose these as something new.

http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/odd...lin-strap.html
    I would be careful with vinyl, especially if it is recycled vintage vinyl. I had a brand new Martin guitar decades ago and had a vinyl strap that melted into the finish and ruined the guitar. The Couch folks do mention it in their FAQs:
    How will your vinyl straps affect the finish on my guitar?
    At Couch we have made and sold 1000's of straps in the last 10 years that have accompanied countless happy guitar finishes around the world trouble free. This includes our own beloved Rickenbacker 330 and 90's American Fender Telescaster that have been using Couch Guitar Straps since 1999 and are in great shape. In fact, the only finish damage we report is on the necks from our hand playing it so much, that's the point right? Rock! Today most factory made guitars are made with a variety of polyurethane finishes which tend to be long lasting and safe from leather and vinyl guitar straps.

However, some vintage, small custom shop, and Gibson Guitars have a finish that uses a nitro-cellulose lacquer finish. According to Gibson.com and Matheasguitars.com, these guitar finsihes can be highly sensitive to a variety of everday things including leather straps, sweat, cologne, alcohol, guitar stands and certain nylon and vinyl straps. Know your guitar finish. If you have a"nitro" finish you should know to take extra care of it on all counts including your strap- store it in it's case, do not dowse it with Brut or English Leather, do not store it on a guitar stand or wall mount, don't pour beer or sweat on it (this can be a problem) and generally store it without any strap vinyl or leather, Couch or any other strap maker attached to it for extended periods of time and you should be fine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

About two months ago I found a non leather braided DOG LEASH and made it into a real nice mandolin strap, so far it hasn`t caused any problems with the finish on the mandolin being harmed...It has the loop to fit over the scroll on an F model so that is real handy, they can be found at Wal-Mart or any flea market for under 4 bucks........

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by herbsandspices View Post
    Just clicked on that old thread, and it looks like he no longer is taking custom orders! Hopefully you find something!
    Yup, found out a bit late..