Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Chapter for Butch Updates

Blog Entries

Default Final Chapter for Butch Updates

Sinclair just sent this and I wanted to share with everyone:

Dearest Friends and Family,

Although I can't imagine this really will be a final posting, I just wanted to tie up some loose ends and send our love back once again. By now, you have all heard the news of Butch's passing. and even though the struggle has been long and hard, the road has been paved with the gentle love of all of you in so many ways with the e-mails, cards, gifts, calls, visits and bedside music. We have felt truly embraced from day one, like babes rocked in your arms. Now Butch has gone on to teach in another place and I know that he left as he wanted to, with grace, dignity and heavenly orchestration. He told me the night before his death, "I have decided that it's time to go and when I see the first opening, I'm going to take it." He never missed a cue and to quote him again, and anyone who knew him well, heard this many a time, "All will be revealed". I know the love of the Lord has been revealed to him and that Butch's light is now shining on God.

There will be a service in Scranton, Pennsylvania on Saturday, January 17th at the Francis of Assisi Church and one here in Nashville on January 31st at Blakemore United Methodist Church, time yet to be determined. We are hoping to have a musical celebration the following day at The World Famous Station Inn, where Butch and I had our first Nashville date!

I have been asked by so many people about contributions and if you are so inclined to do so, they may be sent, in Butch's name, to:

Blair School of Music
    2400 Blakemore Avenue
    Nashville, TN 37209

Blakemore United Methodist Church
    3601 West End Avenue
    Nashville, TN 37205

Gilda's Club of Nashville
    1707 Division Street
    Nashville, TN 37203

There has also been a tax-deductible college fund set up in the name of Blake Gordon Baldassari.
    It resides at:

Morgan Stanley
    attn:Jason Pharris
    2525 West End Avenue
    Suite 1220
    Nashville, TN 37203.

I am attaching here a never-before-seen photo of the three of us. It was Butch's final photo shoot and was done by Nashville's very own, masterful lens-meister, Dennis Wile. His perspective through the lens is like no other and his gift at capturing "that" moment is truly a marvel. In closing, I want to thank you again for all of your constant love and care and to say that if ANY of you ever need me, I am here to pay back some of the love that's been sent our way.

With blessings, love and hope for a brighter tomorrow,

Lelia Sinclair Baldassari
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ButchsFinalTake.jpg 
Views:	3781 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	37904  

Default Re: Final Chapter for Butch Updates

Sinclair and Blake, Thank you for the beautiful picture! Butch meant the world to us all and I appreciate you sharing! God bless you always!

Blog Entries

Thank you, Sinclair, for your unending advocacy for Butch. Your efforts have been inspiring.

peace,
    Phil

Unfortunately, I did not know Butch. But, I feel like I did from the postings of the past few years. I'm just a hack mandolin picker who enjoyed Butch's music. I will continue to enjoy it. Sinclair, you have handled the most difficult couple of years with such class. God bless you and your family.
    re simmers

Blair, you are the spitting image of Dad. Be strong, continue to make him proud! Sinclair, you are a very loving courageous woman. Butch was so lucky to have you by his side. Stay strong, his music will live forever!

The Lord has the best in His Heavenly Band and it is complete. May you know that Butch is not suffering and you will be with him again. The Lord will Keep him safe for you.
    All the prayers from the mandolin and bluegrass world are with you and your son .

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Sinclair, I just marvel at your ability to put such love into words. It's a rare talent. God be with you and your family. Condolences.

Carl "fatt-dad" Benson
    Richmond, Virginia
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

My condolences and warm thoughts go out to your family during this difficult time. Butch touched so many and he will be remembered well.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Thanks, Sinclair and Blake, for letting us share so much of Butch's time and talent over the years. We are extremely fortunate that Butch's music and instruction will live on, as your memories undoubtedly will.

with deep condolences,
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Blog Entries

Well Butch certainly did not miss a cue when he cast an eye in your direction Sinclair, you are a ROCK! That photo is happy and heart wrentching at the same time. You three have shown what true strength really is and are a true example of what human beings are capable of! His light is shining on God but don't forget he is shining on you both always! My prayers are with you!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Sinclair, we can all take a wonderful lesson from your great strength during this most difficult time in your life as well as Blake's. Butch is not suffering any longer, that is a blessing. What a great gift he had and was so willing to share it! And you, Sinclair have the wonderful gift of the written word. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us these last months. Blake has a great mom and his dad will never be forgotten. Butch was so blessed to have you for his wife and Blake for his son. And yes, Blake does look a lot like Butch! Stay in touch with the Cafe, please. My prayers and thought are with you both.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

jsmandolin

Dear Sinclair and Blair,
    Comforting thoughts are winged your way. Butch inspired so many musicians, mandolin players and those who played other instruments. The "Evergreen" Christmas CD and book are so nice to play along with. My old Gibson mandolin was first owned and played in 1918 by a gold miner just out of WWI. His mother bought it for him, surely to help him past the horors of that war. He continued to play it through 1970, a year before his heart strings played no more. The instrument lay in its case until 1997 when I was fortunate to acquire it from the original owner's daughter. Can you imagine the number of songs he played on that instrument? I'm only the second owner of that F-4, and now I play, listening ever so closely for those songs. Butch's songs play on through not only his several recordings and his mandolins, but also through his love for you, his family. I'm sure that you will always remember his love. But if ever his songs seem to fade in your memory a bit, may I suggest that you pick up one of his mandolins and pick some notes. His songs will be there waiting for you to listen once again. -sincerely and musically yours, john

flyfishermandolinist

My condolences, and my best wishes for peace and comfort to the family. I took a few mandolin lessons from Butch when I lived in Nashville, and he certainly still influences my playing, especially my slides. I don't know why such a small thing sticks with me, but I remember him spending time with me helping my slides ("glisses" as he said) sound more authoritative.

It was a pleasure to learn from such an expert and a guy that could get such tone from the mandolin. We sat downstairs and he'd improvise over a progression I was playing to, and then try to explain to me why his version sounded so much cooler!

He picked apart some of my original tunes and we'd talk about whether different parts reminded him of Dawg or Monroe and why. I remember hearing a radio program on KGNU in Boulder in which Pete Wernick and his wife hosted and featured a bunch of Butch songs and talked about how he was one of the most under-rated mandolinists, and how he was one of their favorites. I was hooked, so when I heard he was giving lessons when I got to Nashvegas, I jumped at the chance. I'm just reminiscing now, and I'm not old enough to reminisce this much. Just wanted to say I appreciated Butch, and that my brief encounters with him left me better off.

All will be revealed. Enjoy Glory, Butch.
    Weber Bitterroot mandolin
    Harmony CBOM Conversion

I have had huge difficulty accessing the Internet for the last few weeks and only heard today about Butch's passing when I managed to get to the Cafe for the first time in ages.

I am so sorry for Sinclair and Blake's loss, but happy for them having had Butch in their lives.

Well played, Mr B. Take a bow, sir.

RIP - Prayers to your family.
    keith madison

Dear Sinclair and Blair - I'm only a year into this fabulous mandolin thing, and The Cafe, but I consider it an honor and a privilege to have been along on your family's journey. Rest assured that Butch's music and spirit will live on in generations of music-lovers who've not even been born yet. May the circle be unbroken.

Anita

Blake, my apologies to you son, I typed your name as Blair instead of Blake. My typing is as bad as my mandolin playing. Again, my apologies for the error. - Bob

Dear Sinclair and Blake,
    I cherish the time I had with Butch at Kaufman Kamp and for a weekend of instruction/playing at the Cape Cod Mandolin Camp. Even though it was not a lot of time, I learned so much from him and was so impressed with Butch as a stellar human being. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Sincerely,

Howard Lebowitz
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    (the Toyota guy)

Dear Sinclair and Blake, my prayers that God will comfort you as He so faithfully does. Butch has gone home, but his light will shine on us everytime we play his CDs, pick a tune from his Tab books, and take a lesson from his DVD. Thanks for sharing Butch's battle, your faithful support, and uplifting family portrait, you, Butch, Blake, the mandolins, dulcimer, strumstick (surrounded by his favorite people and instruments).

Clare

2nd Corinthians
    1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the
    Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
    1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to
    comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith
    we ourselves are comforted of God.
    Eastman 805D Two Point F Hole Classic
    Collings MT-2 Sunburst Tortoise Bound
    Mid-Mo M-4 Violin Scale

Thank you for sharing the personal photo. Butch was a friend and I will miss him.

Kenny Holloway
    Nashville, TN

I'm Giuseppe Villa from Italy, Milan....
    I'm a bluegrass mandolinist... I have listened a concert of Butch at Trento, in Italy many years ago and I decided to play this great instrument.
    He did not know to me but for me always it has been an example like man and musician.
    Now I'm very very sad and my thought and my prayers are for you.
    My sister is a Nun of pity, a little nunnery of Monza, close Milan and tomorrow all the nuns will pray for You and Butch during the mass of the morning...
    God bless you....
    many people is with you!
    Giuseppe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Sinclair just sent this and I wanted to share with everyone:

Dearest Friends and Family,

Although I can't imagine this really will be a final posting, I just wanted to tie up some loose ends and send our love back once again. By now, you have all heard the news of Butch's passing. and even though the struggle has been long and hard, the road has been paved with the gentle love of all of you in so many ways with the e-mails, cards, gifts, calls, visits and bedside music. We have felt truly embraced from day one, like babes rocked in your arms. Now Butch has gone on to teach in another place and I know that he left as he wanted to, with grace, dignity and heavenly orchestration. He told me the night before his death, "I have decided that it's time to go and when I see the first opening, I'm going to take it." He never missed a cue and to quote him again, and anyone who knew him well, heard this many a time, "All will be revealed". I know the love of the Lord has been revealed to him and that Butch's light is now shining on God.

There will be a service in Scranton, Pennsylvania on Saturday, January 17th at the Francis of Assisi Church and one here in Nashville on January 31st at Blakemore United Methodist Church, time yet to be determined. We are hoping to have a musical celebration the following day at The World Famous Station Inn, where Butch and I had our first Nashville date!

I have been asked by so many people about contributions and if you are so inclined to do so, they may be sent, in Butch's name, to:

Blair School of Music
    2400 Blakemore Avenue
    Nashville, TN 37209

3601 West End Avenue
    Nashville, TN 37205

1707 Division Street
    Nashville, TN 37203

There has also been a tax-deductible college fund set up in the name of Blake Gordon Baldassari.
    It resides at:

Morgan Stanley
    attn:Jason Pharris
    2525 West End Avenue
    Suite 1220
    Nashville, TN 37203.

I am attaching here a never-before-seen photo of the three of us. It was Butch's final photo shoot and was done by Nashville's very own, masterful lens-meister, Dennis Wile. His perspective through the lens is like no other and his gift at capturing "that" moment is truly a marvel. In closing, I want to thank you again for all of your constant love and care and to say that if ANY of you ever need me, I am here to pay back some of the love that's been sent our way.

With blessings, love and hope for a brighter tomorrow,

Lelia Sinclair Baldassari

Blog Entries

From Sinclair.

-------------

Dear Friends and Family,

We have finally made the plans for Butch's service and celebration. The service will be at Blakemore United Methodist Church (3601 West End Avenue in Nashville) at 11:00 am on Saturday, January 31st. There will be a simple reception afterwards in the church fellowship hall where you can meet other friends and family. The following day, there will be a musical celebration at The Station Inn (402 12th Avenue South) beginning at 12 noon or 1:00 pm(sorry we haven't nailed that down yet).

The Holiday Inn (2613 West End) is offering a bereavement price of $98 per night. It is about a mile from the church and less than 5 miles from The Station Inn. If you want that price, you need to ask for it when you make your reservation (1-800-465-4329). If they ask, it's the Baldassari service at Blakemore.

Memorial contributions are being accepted by:

Blair School of Music
    2400 Blakemore Avenue
    Nashville, TN 37212

3601 West End Avenue
    Nashville, TN 37205

1707 Division Street
    Nashville, TN 37203

An educational fund has been established for Blake at:

Morgan Stanley
    c/o Jason Pharris
    2525 West End Avenue
    Nashville, TN 37203

If you have any other questions, please e-mail and I'll try to answer then for you. I look forward to seeing you very much.

With lots of love,
    Sinclair

Hey Sinclair,
    Thank you for letting us know how Butch was doing with such grace and love. I'll see you and Blake on January 31st.
    Love, Chris Holloran

Registered User Pastor Bill Pawlyshyn's Avatar

Scott:
    Is there anyway - if the family doesn't mind - to get the station inn celebration on this site (U-tube or other video translation) for those of who can't make the visit and pay our respects?

Sinclair and Blake: May the service be a celebration of life, and may you always find peace in Him!

To Sinclair and Blake,

I am so sorry for you lose. I was a student of Butch's several years ago. I attended his classes at the Blair School of Music, Nashcamp and private lessons at your home. One of the many gifts he passed on to me was his Evergreen Christmas book. I ask him how he thought it would sound playing along with a pipe organ. He thought it would be fine. My brother(the organist for our church) and I performed this several years for our annual come and go communion service on Christmas Eve. We would play for about 2 hrs while the families of the congregation would come to the altar to take communion. It was not that my mandolin playing was so great, but to their ears they thought it was fantastic and would stay and listen long after they had received communion. I was astounded by how many members told me of the blessing they received from this simple music.

The year before last the pastor decided to change to a different type of service. This was not welcomed by the congregation and we were ask to play for this past Christmas service. Again the members voiced their appreciation for the music that moved them so.

It’s difficult for us to realize how our everyday actions will influence those around us and how those will influence others. There was no way Butch could have known how many lives he would touch with this simple book of Christmas music. In reality he has blessed a whole congregation that looks forward to this service comprised of his music each Christmas Eve.

A true gift indeed,

Perry Lacy