Thread: To Set up or Not to Set Up?

Registered User stringsattached's Avatar

Default To Set up or Not to Set Up?

My New Year's resolution is to learn to play. I have a 20 year old Wasburn A-Syle M-1S in mint condition in need of a set up. My dilema is whether to get it set up or give in to my strong urge to buy a good used or new Breedlove,Eastman,Kentucky or ???
    I'm a guitar player with very good acoustics (Martin HD-28, and Taylor GA4) so I'm a little spoiled with having quality instruments.
    Just throwing this out there for some un-biased opions.
    Thanks Folks

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Default Re: To Set up or Not to Set Up?

You might have a qualified luthier/set up person look at it, and give you an opinion. If the neck is straight and true, and the frets aren't too bad, a setup might be cheap and easy (nut and bridge saddle). I wouldn't assume a setup is going to be expensive surgery.

That very model was my first mandolin years ago. While not a fine instrument by any stretch of the imagination, it was a perfectly playable student instrument that got me started on a lifetime love of the mandolin. Assuming there is not damage to the instrument, a setup should get it in fine playing form. But far be it from me to discourage an upgrade... buying new mandos is fun!

What the heck, do both!

That mandolin is not worth enough to use as a trade-in or to spend money on or worry about messing up; check your nut action and adjust it if necessary and turn the bridge wheels down so the action is not too high and play it alot until you can't stand to listen to it anymore. If nothing else you can learn the basics on it and you'll appreciate something better when you do upgrade.

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician...nutaction.html

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/...t/fitfeet.html
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote Originally Posted by stringsattached View Post
    My New Year's resolution is to learn to play. I have a 20 year old Wasburn A-Syle M-1S in mint condition in need of a set up. My dilema is whether to get it set up or give in to my strong urge to buy a good used or new Breedlove,Eastman,Kentucky or ???
    I'm a guitar player with very good acoustics (Martin HD-28, and Taylor GA4) so I'm a little spoiled with having quality instruments.
    Thanks Folks
    StringsAttached-
    I don't know but would expect that you should know that you probably live within miles of Emory Lester. He must have contact with a competent luthier up there.
    www.emorylester.com
    If you have problems contacting him, PM me.
    Gotta head for work.
    Dale

Dale,
    Thanks so much for this resource. He is probably a 5-10 minute drive away from me.
    Cheers.

Stringsattached,

Go get yourself a new mandolin. If you are used to having nice instruments to play, you won't be happy until you are holding something new!

I'm in the same boat as you, and have been happy with the products from Eastman. A nice MD615 F style to get you started.............

Jim D
    Jim D

Thumbs up Re: To Set up or Not to Set Up?

Glad I put this question out there.Appreciate everyone's input.
    The search for an upgrade begins...

Quote Originally Posted by stringsattached View Post
    Thanks Folks
    I took the plunge today. Picked up a beautiful Larivee A-33 from the Twelfth Fret in Toronto.It was at the top range of what I wanted to spend, but the sound, fit,feel, and looks just grabbed me and wouldn't let go.
    Folowing all the great advise on this forum I did try as many mandolins as I could ,put on a lot of miles on my car,but this one just "Spoke to Me".
    I really beleive Larrivee have a winner here. I guess we'll find out when more hit the market.

Doesn't Emory Lester live in Barrie? You'd sure be doing yourself a favour if you could grab a few lessons from him, he's world class.

i've a feeling that your guitars
    are going to get lonely

Mike,
    Thanks Dale Ludewig who has built for Emory Lester alerted me to this. I will definately will be making contact in the very near future. http://www.ludewigmandolins.com/

When one "reaches out and touches you,"that's the one to buy (if you can afford it), Good for you!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I also had (have) quality sounding guitars, culminating with the recent purchase of a Huss and Dalton. The first mando I bought was a Kentucky KM 1000. I am glad I purchased a quality instrument because a few months later I purchased a KM 380s. It has all solid wood but the sound quality just is not comparable to the KM 1000 or my recently purchased Bulldog. You made the right choice to purchase the Larrivee. Although, I don't necessarily agree with the above comment about your guitars getting lonely. I play the heck out of both the guitars and mandolins.

Good Luck, Mike
    Last edited by Mike Scott; Feb-02-2009 at 12:14pm. Reason: didn't see he had already purchased
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......