Thread: Should I return this mandolin?

Default Should I return this mandolin?

I recently bought a mandolin on a whim on ebay -- really on a whim, like there were only 9 minutes remaining when I found it and bought it.. haha!

Well, it came in the mail today! (yay!) and the back is looking a little... uhm, not good. It also sounds a little oddd.. but I think maybe that's because it's not tuned and I don't know how to play it..

The part I am most concerned about is below the back of the neck where the mandolin connects with the bowl (I tried to take a good photo of it..) it's cracked and seems to be coming off a little maybe (sorry I can't describe this well)

Anyway, I don't want a nice mandolin at all and I think this one is SO PRETTY! I just want a mandolin that PLAYS and works for a while.

I have 48 hours to return this if I have to.
    All suggestions & comments are greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4410.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	37852  

Default Re: Should I return this mandolin?

I can only figure out how to send a couple photos at a time.. I think the files are too big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4405.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	37853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4409.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	37854  

Holy cow! That's a pretty serious crack there. If it was not disclosed in the auction listing, I would certainly return it immediately if I were in your shoes.

-Chris

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'd return it, do some research on what it is that you want and then spend some time shopping. You can find many mandolin options right here on our classifieds (in the sub $500.00 market) and you'll have something you can play from the onset. I'd bet a proper repair on this instrument would cost alot and you won't know what's up until you spend your money. By then the chance for a return will be gone.

Good luck.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

If this happended to me and the damage pictured above was not disclosed in the auction listing, I personally would return it with my expectations for a full refund -- including for shipping in both directions.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Yes

Looks like an expensive and difficult repair.

I think you have 2 options.

Contact the seller and ask for a return and refund and see what they say. The photo on ebay looks like there was a pre-existing crack that was probably repaired, but it was not described in the listing at all.

I would guess that the damage occured in shipping, so I would also contact the shipper - USPS? - and make a claim. The cost to repair this would certainly be more than what you paid, so you ought to get all your money back. Knowing how our postal system is, I'm afraid it will take a long time to have this resolved.

I'd try both routes. Someone should take responsibility.

Aw, bummer. I knew something like this would happen... =(
    Oh well, I will just return it and make sure I know what I'm getting into next time.

Thanks for the advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Payit Forward View Post
    I think you have 2 options.

Contact the seller and ask for a return and refund and see what they say. The photo on ebay looks like there was a pre-existing crack that was probably repaired, but it was not described in the listing at all.

I would guess that the damage occured in shipping, so I would also contact the shipper - USPS? - and make a claim. The cost to repair this would certainly be more than what you paid, so you ought to get all your money back. Knowing how our postal system is, I'm afraid it will take a long time to have this resolved.

I'd try both routes. Someone should take responsibility.
    I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about - I took all of those photos I posted just now. On ebay he only had one or two photos posted that didn't show the crack, they actually didn't show the back at all (that should have made it obvious something was wrong...) -- he didn't mention it either.

So yes, I am contacting the seller now and getting my money back.
    I just want a mandolin. =(

Gee Hannah, not to bring up old news but didn't you already have a nice "barely used" in "exquisite condition" Eastman mandolin that you tried to sell me here? What ever happened to THAT mandolin? It was Pretty and it would have made great learner!

Just curious that's all~!

Ace
    Ace

Hi Hannah
    As others have said here. If it wasn't listed as having damage, I would contact the seller asap & also the shipper. (the damage to your mandolin looks pretty serious).

Good luck getting a shipper to admit to any responsibility for that damage. Contact the seller ASAP .
    Mike Snyder

Good luck getting your shipper to admit to any resposibility re that damage. Contact the seller ASAP.
    Mike Snyder