Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ireland

Default Re: ireland

So, I'm in dublin!!!!!

I have a question though:
    Random person I met at the hostel I'm staying in says he's from Galway and that if I end up there this weekend, he'll give me a place to stay-Is that wierd?...or creepy?

I've never traveled alone like this before and i'm kind of paranoid in general.

I think it's probably cool. If you're not sure about him don't go, but hostels are good for making friends and contacts.
    David A. Gordon

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Probably cool. Not rare. Nice people.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Most likely totally cool and will introduce you to wonderful people, scenes and sessions which you might never have found.....

But really just go with your gut... do you get a good feeling from this person?
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

Oh if you are in Dublin then do check out the Cobblestone...

Playing there myself on 27th Feb.

So you made it to Dublin... cool, weather is really poxy!!! Sleet/Rain Wind the usual...

Now do you have your mandolin with you???

Are you playing Trad? Bluegrass? Everything??

Just found this!

Hope you have a great time here,

enjoy the music and don't drink TOO much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stout1
    Now, thanks to Martin and his guitar shaped mandola, I have been stricken with GBMAS, guitar body mandola acqusition syndrome
    hey!! I got my own Syndrome!!!!

Blog Entries

When I went back in '96, I arrived expecting to spend every last punt before flying back to the states. Thanks to the first scary Irishman I met ("My brother worked in Alburqueeerqee!"), I stayed and folks houses all across the isle, not spending a cent on room. It went sort of like, "Oh, you're going to Athlone? Go to Brogan's Pub and ask for my cousin Ruth and tell her Teddy said to take care of you!". I'd get to Athlone, find Ruth, and she'd tell me what a cur Teddy is, then take me home to meet her husband and kids, feed me, and let me sleep in the spare bedroom for two nights. Ruth would then say, "You're going to Ennis? Go to the Sleeping Donkey Inn and ask for my nephew Ian! He's got a B&B!" Rinse and repeat.
    The one regret I have was not taking the 3 day a week fishing boat job in Dingle, and working the other days at the pub for room and board. I would still be there!
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Hey Steve,

Hope your trip is going really well....

We are all waiting for an update.... Did you bite the bullet and go to Galway to stay with those folks???

Where are you now??

If you are back in Dublin let me know and we can hook you up with some places to go and gigs to go to... maybe even come to one of mine...

darn it. this makes me want to go there so darn badly!! i hope that youre having a great time there, steve!! be safe...
    "A mando is a terrible thing to waste."

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Even tho Ireland is 'the most wired country in Europe', there are places that are wonderful for music, folks and general heavenliness where 'online' is just not on every corner.

I remember lots of times when there was so much good life and music to be involved with right in front of us (and more coming) that even using the phone seemed far, far away.

That said, I'd love to hear back from him too, about his adventures there....

Cheers, Steve, we hope you're having a wonderful time!

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Anybody heard from Montanasteve lately? Last post was almost a month ago and right after he got to Dublin. I'm going to be going to Ireland in mid April or so to wander around and wanted to hear his experiences but also make sure he was ok.

Rob

It's been 15 years, but in 1994 I spent two weeks near Cork in County Claire.
    We stayed in this old castle called "Ballyportry." At that time there were no staff
    or anything -- we were pretty much on our own. We learned to burn turf to cook
    and stay warm, and fun things like that. It was a great adventure. As for music,
    the town of Ennis was amazing. I recall a pub with a large outdoor patio with a
    never-ending stream of musicians and pints making merry day and night. We also
    brought some local musicians from Cork back to the castle for a midnight jam on
    the rooftop under the moon. It was a time I will never forget. It looks like the
    castle is still operating. If I could return to Ballyportry someday, I would.

http://www.ballyportry.ie/

That was some bit of driving to bring a few musicians from Cork, even if it was Charleville, all the way up to The Burren at night... a distance that here in the States is considered an easy jaunt, but in Ireland would take the best part of a day.... I've often driven by Ballyportry but never gone in, have to drop by when I'm home in May. Thanks for the heads-up. BTW, the Open-Air patio pub sounds like the The Crabtree outside Newmarket-on-Fergus (near Ennis).