Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Sad news to report

Default Re: Sad news to report

I will add my voice to the chorus of others saying that Butch was a great musician, and perhaps even more significantly, an exemplary teacher. What little I know about the mandolin, I learned largely from him...even though I'm sad to say we never met. I have always maintained that his instructional materials set a standard by which all others will be judged. My sincere condolences to Butch's friends and family, and I hope it is some small comfort to them to see how many people were touched by his music.
    James

I knew Butch only from his incredible music and the affirmation as a wonderful human being from this online community. Thankfully, Butch is in a better place, now pain-free and undoubtedly playing up a storm. May God ease the pain for Sinclair, Blake, and all his family and friends. The human loss we feel is a testament to the wonderful gift his life was for all of us.

Matt Stevenson

Terrible news indeed. Rest in peace, Butch, and thanks for your instruction and inspiration.

Such incredibly sad news for the mandolin world. So many lives have been touched by this man. And for his wife and son there are not words that describe their loss. It is a great comfort to know that Butch knew his Creator and is now in heaven.
    Chicks who pick together
    stick together

I met Butch for the first time in August 1992. My Italian mandolin teacher, knowing about my first trip to USA to “learn and listen to bluegrass music”, gave me his telephone number to call Butch during my staying in Nashville. And so I did. He has been very kind with me and my friends, I remember we spent long time together, playing in his house, eating and laughing together with him and his wonderful wife Sinclair. I was a little shy, playing my mandolin in front of one of my favorite player. I had started playing bluegrass just a couple of years before, maybe two or three, I was a good student but I realized, watching his fingers “fly” on the frets, I had to study more and more to become a good player!
    Butch showed us every places a bluegrass musician would like to visit. We went to the Station Inn, downtown Nashville, to the Bell Cove Club where we met Bill Monroe. We left Nashville with the promise to keep in touch. And during the following years we did it, with letters before and emails later. I’ve been in Nashville several times and Butch and Sinclair always gave me hospitality. And I did the same when Butch, Gene Ford and John Hedgecoth came to Italy in 1998. It was wonderful to have that Trio playing in my house!!!
    In 2000 we went to Mike Bub’s wedding and to the IBMA together, driving from Nashville to Louisville, KY and just three years ago I had the opportunity to bring with me my girlfriend Marcella who nothing and nobody knew about bluegrass, banjos, mandolins and Nashville. It was the first time I could share with her the music I love and introduce her to my US friends. She was so happy to find this friendship between me and Butch and, in a short time, Sinclair and her became good friends too. We lived with Butch, Sinclair, Blake and “IN-OUT” cat for two weeks and it seemed to be in our house because they were really really kind with us. I remember the time spent talking and laughing, drinking Italian coffee and Sambuca, playing mandolin, learning always something new. It has been one of the best holidays in all my life....
    I could write for hours but I don’t want to be boring. And besides my English is not so good. Please, forgive me!
    Maybe someone of you can ask me why I wrote these words. Just to share with you little pieces of my life with Butch and, above all, just to tell you who Butch was: a great person, a great musician and a great friend.
    I’ve lost another dear friend, after Randy Howard years ago. But they will always live in my hearts and my thoughts.
    Sinclair and Blake… we are close to you and we hold you really tight.
    With neverending love,

Corrado and Marcella,
    Cremona, Italy.

Terrible news...I haven't checked the Cafe in awhile...this just hit like a ton of bricks. I was just practicing some tunes from Cantabile...damn...so sorry for his family. Butch was a great guy & teacher - I was fortunate to have him as an instructor two years in-a-row during bluegrass week at Augusta Heritage where I bought a beautiful Cohen mando from him, as well. He got me started on the Monroe Path but also inspired me with his ability to incorporate many styles - classical, pop, old-time, O'Carolan & more. Through his workshops, books, & music, he turned me on to a lot of great tunes. Thanks Butch, for all the great music & inspiration. I guess I'm going to go & play some Bach for Butch & be thankful for all I have.

Good bye ole pal

Loarfest 07
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LF07_054.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	37848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LF07_051.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	37849  
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Very sad news...What a great guy..he will be missed.

I only knew Butch through the 2 CD's I have and his book of 30 fiddle tunes (2 more Cd's) but the tone that he coaxed out of a mandolin has always been amazing to me. It was like a different and much better instrument when he played it. My condolences to Sinclair and Blake.
    -Newtonamic

That's so sad. I discovered Butch and his music the day I bought my first mandolin, January 7, 2008. I picked up his "Duets for Mandolin and Guitar" album and it's been an inspiration. His was the first instructional video I saw, too. R.I.P., sweet Butch.

Anita

Sad News. I bought the instructional material a long long time ago, on cassette. Never knew Butch personally, but we sure spent a lot of time together working on those fiddle tunes. I can play most of them now, but I think I'll get the cassetts out and listen again. My prayers for the family, Jerry

My deepest condolences to Sinclair and Blake. You are in my prayers.
    Yooper-Al
    Eastman 615
    1971 Martin D28

Sinclair and Blake,

You are in my prayers...while it doesn't ease the burden you feel now, you will be with Butch again, and in that fact take heart and hope! I never had the pleasure of personally meeting your family, but feel as if I have come to know at least the people that you are through your updates here...I still remember being shocked when Butch personally replied to an email of encouragement I sent soon after his diagnosis...I was like a little kid getting an autograph from his hero!!

If you are ever in/coming to the Concord, NC, area and need anything, please let me know--

Chuck
    Chuck

Butch was a great player and a great teacher. I feel that I would have never gotten off the ground without his 30 Fiddle Tunes for the Mandolin, which I spent dozens if not hundreds of hours with. Though I never met Butch, I felt like I knew him. We'll miss you! At least you're with Bill now.
    Bruce Kaplan
    -----------
    www.claudiarussell.com
    --------------------
    Kimble 2 Point
    Gibson 1921 A-4
    Waterloo WL-14
    1990 Stratocaster Plus
    Fender Telecaster Custom MIJ
    Guild F-44

Surely will be missed. Rip
    BridgerGal

Good bye Butch. Your music touched my heart and I was fortunate to have had a couple of lessons when you were in New Hampshire. I'm sorry for the loss to the family and all of us.
    Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Very Very sad news. Just at Christmas I was talking to some mando friends about Butch's music, in fact I was so impressed with Bach,Beatles and Bluegrass that I bought ten to give out as pressies.
    His contribution to the mandolin world and music in general was (and will continue to be) immense. Deepest sympathy to Sinclair and his family from all the Scottish mando lovers.
    Ian

Blog Entries

I heard the news at the height of the River City Bluegrass festival.

I had to take a moment to reflect on what we do and why we do it. Its an amazing phenomenon. Butch was a great guy, and helped me get to where I am now, through his music, and his great ability to instruct.

He will be missed.
    RIP Butch, you are the man.

My condolences to Butch's family and friends. So sorry for your loss.

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

I met Butch at the Kaufman Kamp some years ago. A really nice guy, a good teacher and a smoking player - he is sadly missed. My sincere condolences to Butch's friends and family.

Charles Johnson

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about this, I just found out! What a player, what a guy, what a human being, what a loss.

My condolences to the family...

Butch WILL be missed!
    2004 Kentucky 675s
    2006 Weber Limited Edition Cedar top

This, indeed is devastating.. I am a true amatuer, and don't get to work on my mando near as much as I'd like, but when I came to work at Vanderbilt as a nurse, Butch treated me so kindly.. I'd emailed him with a question, and so it began that he helped me so much, just over email, so giving of his time, and didn't treat me like a total goofball due to my total lack of knowledge. I attened a seminar he gave in Murfreesboro, and I was the greenest player of the bunch, but that didn't matter, he was so wonderful. Hell, I felt like I wasn't good enough to be in the same room with him, but he couldn't have been more gracious to us. He truly loved to teach. I cherish the handouts he gave us, and while I am still a greenie on this mando, it's that material that I work on all the time. I will miss him so much. He was an asset to the music field, to Vanderbilt, and to all who knew him.

I just got word from the Vandy newsman about a memorial service, please see below:

"Hello Theresa: This is indeed very sad news. I’ve been told that a memorial service will happen down the line, but I don’t know of any specific plans right now.

Cards, donations, etc., can be directed to Butch’s family at:

125 43rd Ave. N.

Nashville, TN 37209

Best,

Jim Patterson

Vanderbilt News Service"

Hugs to All,
    Theresa

Blog Entries

When got the news I listened to a Butch CD, and then I started learning a Butch tune. He'll be living a long time yet. I wish I could have known him in person.

My deepest sympathy to Sinclair and Blake,
    Laura

This is still hard to believe.....I remember not long ago when we first heard the awful news of his condition, and how unbelieveable it was. And now.....what a good friend and extremely talented musician we've lost....I never really got the chance to be around him as much as I would have liked....he was always kind and supportive to me, and I've always admired his playing and his musicianship....a 'pro's pro', as they say. He made the mandolin sing for the 'music', and not for personal gain or flash, but to make the best music possible for us. And great music he has left us with....he will be sorely missed, but will live on as an influence and inspiration to me, and many others who were blessed to know him.....my deepest condolences to Sinclair and Blake, and to the entire family.....

EMORY LESTER

I know your life on earth was troubled
    And only you could know the pain
    Go to heaven a-shoutin'
    Listen to your mandolin sing

Go rest high on that mountain
    Son your work on earth is done
    Go to heaven a-shoutin'
    Love for the Father and the Son

Oh, how we cried the day you left us
    We gathered round your grave to grieve