Thread: Psycograss in Winston-Salem last night

Default Psycograss in Winston-Salem last night

What a rare and exquisite show Mike Marshall, Darol Anger, Todd Phillips, Tony Trischa, and David Grier put on last night. They performed one set, approximately two to two and a half hours. They came out subtly playing a reserved and tasteful version of Nine Pound Hammer, then they moved into more eclectic material; other tunes included Hot Nickels, a tune written by Tony entitled Doggy Salt, he said his inspiration was taking the chord progression to Salty Dog and essentially reversing it, what a hoot!! There were some individual performances by first, a very bearded David Grier who performed a tune called Down to the C, played out of the fourth position, or capo on the fourth fret out of the C chord. Mike and Darol came out to play a choro tune and thank the crowd for following their careers for the past 32 years +/-. They played Big Monk describing its inception as the imagining of what music might come of the meeting of Bill Monroe and Thelonious Monk. Todd Phillips is so relaxed and tasteful in his bass lines and through out the night, I was mesmerised by the way in which these musicians played with timing, tone and taste. The sound was done very well and all the nuances of the instruments was apparent. Greer was playing an older Martin D-28 and Mike held forth with his old Gibson, but then at the end of the evening brought out an Altman F-5 that Gary had apparently brought with him to ask Mike to play. They ended the evening with the Hendrix tune 3rd Stone from the Sun, with Tony doing the intro on bowed banjo, who knew? That's right he bows the opening lines in unison with Darol on violin bowing his fifth or lowest on the fretboard banjo string. WOW! They then gave us a rousing rendition of Ride the Wild Turkey. After the concert, the musicians were gracious enough to come out to the lobby to greet the FANatics like me, and sign autographs, etc. I was honored to shake Mike's hand and reminesce about a time back in 1980 when I had the priviledge of standing on the stage at Memorial Hall before a concert by the David Grisman Quintet and pick some mandolins with David, Mike, Mark O'Conner, a young Alan Bibey, myself and another tall guy who I think brought a Loar to the circle. We played a tune, and passed the mandolins around in a circle. Later that night, during the intermission, myself and another tech crew member were standing out by the door leading backstage and out came Stephane Grapelli who, in his broken but adequate English, asked one of us to please run up to Franklin Street and buy a carolina blue tshirt for a young relative back home who was crazy about the UNC-Chapel Hill basketball team. We had to inform Stephane that the stores would be closed at that time and that such a dash up town would be fruitless.

These guys don't get together and tour very often, but if they come your way don't miss them!!

Default Re: Psycograss in Winston-Salem last night

How did I miss this? Rats!

David,

Sounds like a great show, what a band. And thanks for the stories.

Glad to hear Darol is gigging again!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    Glad to hear Darol is gigging again!!!
    Why was he not? I had no idea.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Darol broke his hand in a bicycle fall. These are his early gigs back.
    I first learned about it here on the Cafe, Mike Marshall put together
    his Big Three band to fill gigs that had been Anger-Marshall dates.
    There were some reviews of festivals & concerts.

Thanks for the review David. Sorry I missed that one.
    Bud Martin
    http://www.mrbbluegrass.com
    Kimble A5
    Kimble F5
    Gibson F4
    Old Wave F5

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Brien View Post
    . . .reminesce about a time back in 1980 when I had the priviledge of standing on the stage at Memorial Hall before a concert by the David Grisman Quintet and pick some mandolins with David, Mike, Mark O'Conner, a young Alan Bibey, myself and another tall guy who I think brought a Loar to the circle. We played a tune, and passed the mandolins around in a circle. Later that night, during the intermission, myself and another tech crew member were standing out by the door leading backstage and out came Stephane Grapelli who, in his broken but adequate English, asked one of us to please run up to Franklin Street and buy a carolina blue tshirt for a young relative back home who was crazy about the UNC-Chapel Hill basketball team. We had to inform Stephane that the stores would be closed at that time and that such a dash up town would be fruitless. . .
    David, I think I remember you from those days! I also worked for Speedy on the UNC tech crew during that time, and you must be the guy that played mandolin. I had just picked up an inexpensive Harmony from Oxbow Music, and you showed me a couple of chords for one of the songs off Grisman's first record. I got Grisman's signature on my mando that night - it's still there. Shoot me a PM and let's chat mandolins sometime. I turned out different (for the better) than you would have predicted back then.
    Clark Beavans

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    Darol broke his hand in a bicycle fall .
    Wow - I didn't know that. He is coming to NJ in a few weeks with the Republic of Strings. Should be great

Avi

Hey, Dave, you lucky #$&*!&^?#, how about telling about the concert, like maybe, BEFORE it happens, so us local guys can get a heads-up?

Sounds like a great gig, wish i would have known, you lousy good-fer-nuthin...

(hope you enjoyed it, Mark J)

You local guys, I am sorry, BUT, check out the Calendar page here on the Cafe. I saw that as a good way to get out the word to interested parties, but like myself, you guys probably aren't checking the Cafe Calendar enough. For instance, in case you don't know, Don Julin is one of the most fascinating mandolinist out there and he plays music every week out somewhere, just not around here. As a matter of fact, lets get a group together and go see a Don Julin show, you will NOT be disappointed. He is the real deal!!! My apologies for not saying more about the show. It was well attended, but not a packed house, and it should have been. . .

Thanks for the review! I've seen Psychograss several times at various locales...great band, lots of fun and very aptly named.