Thread: Third mandolin I ever built...

kestrel

Default Third mandolin I ever built...

Haven't been a "I'll show you mine, if you show me yours kinda guy, since third-grade, but somehow it seems kind of fun, today.

First one sounded great, but looks pretty much like an "I think I'll build me a mandolin, just to see if I can." model. Second one - looks good, and sounds good, but I haven't taken any good pictures of her, yet.

So, the following are my #3:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00054 Irfan.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	37546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00056 Irfan.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	37547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00071 Irfan.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	37548  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00033 I.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	37549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00019 I.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	37550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00061 Irfan.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	37551  

Default Re: Third mandolin I ever built...

Nice and simple! I like the grain matching for the neck and sides.

Blog Entries

Looks great. Tell us some more about it...

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Well, Kestrel,

It's about time that thing got some pictures. She's a beaut! I'd love to hear how it sounds.

Steve

Sharp looking mandolin Gene. Nice work.

Nice looking mando, I dig the guitar style pick guard vs. the elevated style.

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

That soundhole is an interesting shape... any head-on shots to show it off?

I like your aesthetics. I think you did your #3 at the same level at my potential #10 (if i ever get there).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

kestrel

Thanks guys. Here's a straight on shot, but it's not a great job of photography. The other is of my "zero-fret-in-the nut" design.

This mando has Eastern Black Walnut back ribs, and neck. The neck is three piece, with a 1/4" piece of Ebony down the center. I use a carbon fiber bar, as neck reinforcement. Probably a bit of over kill with this one, with the Ebony center strip. The top is Engleman Spruce, and the head plate is Ebony. Scale is 14". I use an "H" top bracing pattern, that was suggested to me by Graham McDonald, and am experimenting with bridge placement, in relation to the lateral brace. This one sits directly on the brace. The neck block is my own design, and tapers from bottom to top, toward the sound hole, which, I believe, lends support to the top, under the fingerboard, and helps resist the desire of the neck to rotate toward the tailpiece. Again, just my opinion. It (the neck block) also extends around the ribs, a bit further than is traditional. I use a 15' induced arch to both the sound board and back, and 4-degree neck angle, which gives me an approximately 3/4" high bridge. Other than that, everything is pretty much traditional build.

For my tail-pieces, I use a standard Gibson style, from LMMI, but I overlay the flat with wood that matches the head plate, then inlay it with an MOP standing Kestral, which is sort of my trademark. I also inlay a hovering MOP Kestral as the 12th fret marker.

The nut is bone, and the bridge is one piece Ebony, of my own design. Rather than the typical square/angled compensation cuts, my bridge top/saddle is serpentine. I use a zero fret, that is set into a shelf at the leading edge of the nut, and against the fretboard, also of my own concoction. I think the photo shows it fairly well.

I, somehow, made my bridge way too low, on this one, and put on a set of really cheesy strings that I had laying around, and was rather disappointed in the sound, until I discovered the low bridge problem. The low break angle wasn't adequately driving the top. I now have a temporary Ebony shim under it, which made a difference of night and day, and am waiting for a shipment of strings, before I make a permanent adjustment to the bridge height. When I get that done, I'll see if I can work up the courage to post a sound clip of my way less than good playing, to an audience of pros.

I do like simplicity of design, and I like to allow the beauty of wood to "speak for itself" so I seldom use any stains or tints on anything I build. On my #2, I bound both the top and back, and thought it was just too much, so I only bound the top on this one, and like it much better. I've always liked the look and feel of oil/varnish finish, and since I've breathed all the lacquer and solvent fumes, in my life, that I need, I use a Tru Oil finish over a couple of light coats of 1-pound cut, amber shellac. This gives the wood a sort of older looking glow. I was considering doing a shellac French Polish, but I prefer the softer look of oil vs. FP, and consider the varnish to be a bit better protector, and, IMO, easier to maintain.

We're anticipating an ice storm here, today, and I'm in a decision making mood, regarding bracing for the mandola I'm currently building, so I may just hang out in the house, and see if I can get some decent photos of #2, maybe even one or two of #1 - just for contrast between "I think I'll build a mandolin, just for the heck of it.", and "Now, I think I'll get serious about it." If the day materializes that way, and I get something worth looking at, I'll post them here.

Again, thanks for the kind comments.

Have a goodun,

Gene
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00089 Irfan.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	37566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00052 Irfan.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	37567  

Blog Entries

I think it looks terrific!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Pretty cool ! ... keep up the good work.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45