Thread: new home made

Default new home made

after many years playing acoustic mando, I came to the realization that I needed to zing up my arsenal and get an electric mando. So...I went out and tried the few I could find...I was somewhat underwhelmed with the ones I did try and since Ive been building some guitars , figured I might as well make my own...so...there ya go...
    mahogany, myrtle top, bridge by Andrew Jerman, Pup is 1/2 of a precision bass set, maple neck from orcas tonewoods and my own design...
    It has some issues but if figure its my prototype...and will evolve as needed. It sounds pretty damn good (least I was told by my bandmates) and certainly loud enuf....
    Think Ill make another sooner than later...thanks to the cafe for mando content as well as emando and mr. jerman for his hardware...pretty fun...now I need some effects maybe and a wah wah!...ma Wheelhouse Guitars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheelhousemando2.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	37471  

Blog Entries

Default Re: new home made

Neat-o bandido, as we used to say when I was a kid.
    ;D

Daniel

Certainly a nice looking piece, for your first attempt. It's always great to see someone taking an interest in building.
    Keep up the good work!
    John

Laugh if you must...but I use a wah-wah with great success. Godin A8 (and several other mandolins); Trace Elliott TA50 and Jim Dunlop original wah-wah all run in the board. On the new solid body I built I cut the nut & saddle to have a single C and G string but D, A, & E are double. Years ago Alverez made a 9 string guitar never could get it out of me head.
    Have a smiley day

thats no laughing matter moldelin!...wah-wah pedals are serious business...I never could get em to work for me...too dyslexic...I'd be interested to see the one w/9 srings though...yessir..that sounds inneresting...

thanks for the compliment jlsmandolin...I truely had fun making it...Ive been building hawiian lap acoustics since I started at building and the emando was a good distraction...I was thrilled it played in tune!..
    I like your work...the colors are good, very clean lines, all good... Do you have a spray booth?
    I found your site when I was looking at as many emandos as I could before I made this one...I added a pic of the back just for grins...
    ... all things considered this ones good, but needs a better pickup I'm thinkin. It was a nice thought using some spare parts lying around but the poles on the pbass 1/2 stack just dont line up that well...and maybe the bridge is a little to the left..I sometimes lean a little to the left and that happens...next time...and a radiused board maybe...that might be good too...

I'm looking into the pickup change at the moment. Im considering having one made as well, I know a guy...any suggestions are always appreciated about pups though...best mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheelhousemando2a.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	37723