Thread: Best Place To Buy A Neck

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Best Place To Buy A Neck

I need 8-string mandolin and mandola necks with truss rods for a solidbody electric doubleneck being built for me. Any suggestions on reliable makers would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm at it, eventually I will need also info on electronics: pickups, tone/volume knobs, toggle switches, wiring, as well as hardware like adjustable bridges and whammy bars. That is surely another post but I'm here now, and who knows who knows what, so ...

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Best Place To Buy A Neck

http://www.stewmac.com/

that website has everything you need and more. from precut necks, to all your electronics, hardware, and anything else you can think of.
    Good luck!

the necks for guitars Bolt on in fender style are mass produced,
    lots of Bits for Guitar and several guitar parts sellers ship that stuff
    Mr Smith mentioned here, has a kit that may sell you a Electric mandolin neck to also bolt on.
    Your builder has the capability to make the body and necks , one would hope ,
    then the shape of the neck can be made to suit your hand's preference.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    the necks for guitars Bolt on in fender style are mass produced,
    lots of Bits for Guitar and several guitar parts sellers ship that stuff
    Mr Smith mentioned here, has a kit that may sell you a Electric mandolin neck to also bolt on.
    Your builder has the capability to make the body and necks , one would hope ,
    then the shape of the neck can be made to suit your hand's preference.
    Yeah, I've started to find sites where those necks are available. As some on the Builders thread have mentioned, I too am beginning to wonder why my friend asked me about buying a neck. Perhaps he feels this beyond his abilities, perhaps he doesn't want to spend the time, either in research or work, perhaps he just meant fingerboard.

Pretty soon I may have to start another thread about the hardware - bridges, pickups, tuners, etc - but first I'm going to take the time to look through old threads.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jan-03-2009 at 7:04pm.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Check out www.moongazermusic.com. He'll have everything you need to build an electric.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    Check out www.moongazermusic.com. He'll have everything you need to build an electric.
    Yes, I've been in touch with him. I'm still going to need a mandola neck - shouldn't be too difficult, just another two inches or so longer. I wonder if the bridges can be modified to accommodate a tension bar.

I poked around a bit and found an ebay store that sells dirt cheap mandolins, even an electric, and I am sorely tempted to buy two of those, scavenge the necks - complete with fingerboard, frets, tuners - and toss the rest, saving maybe the electronics. I don't know how to tell online whether this approach will work - if the fretwork is properly intonated, if the neck is warp-proof, etc. Sounds pretty iffy, don't it?

Just trying to think of everything

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

A five string mandolin has the ranges of both instruments. Why not just get him to build you one of those?
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crazymandolinist View Post
    A five string mandolin has the ranges of both instruments. Why not just get him to build you one of those?
    Well ... two reasons. First, the reason I can play mandolin at all is it has four sets of strings and I have four fingers. In mathematics that is called a one-to-one correspondence. I tried guitar first, but it has six strings and I have four fingers, and it just didn't compute. The problem I have with a five-string, and I did just get one, a Fender Mandocaster, is, again, mathematical. It's too much like learning a whole new instrument, and while I am sure I'll get the hang of it, as well as finally be able to play some groovy jazz chords, I have to get used to either barring chords more than I'd like or having more strings open than I'd like. I have a mandola, and there are some songs in which the key change coincide with chord patterns to accommodate my vocal range, such as it is. I'm still going to play mandolin mostly, that's what I'm used to, but certain songs just call for the mandola. It would be nice to be able to switch between the two without changing instruments.

Second, shock value. People are going to see this beast and flip out. You have to remember that musical performance includes elements of theater, and that includes having just the right prop. Of course, it's more important for it to work, but being visually impressive would be a definite plus.

Good question, though!