Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How difficult is it to learn to play the mandolin?

Default Re: How difficult is it to learn to play the mandolin?

I cannot link to this link to a video??

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Hi Dunnbv, I see that you are new to the forums, welcome and hope you enjoy the resource. It's a little strange that you are asking about posting a video in a thread from 2009, though. Not sure exactly what or why you are doing here, but the best place to ask questions about using the forum software is in the Forum Software forum, near the bottom in the list of forums. You may get the attention of the site owner or developer there.

Sorry I can't be of more help, and again, welcome to Mandolin Cafe!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by hannah View Post
    I go to college in colorado though and it's a pretty musical area, so I'm thinking I could probably find some people.
    I don't know where in Colorado you are going to school but Bluegrass, Newgrass...whatever name you pick is pretty big here right now. Colorado Bluegrass is one group on FB, if over in Grand Junction there are lots of jams, same with many of the cities and towns across the state. I agree that finding someone to play with will be a huge benefit to you. I picked my first musical instrument when I was 58 and regret so much not starting when I was about your age. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    I don't know where in Colorado you are going to school but Bluegrass, Newgrass...whatever name you pick is pretty big here right now. Colorado Bluegrass is one group on FB, if over in Grand Junction there are lots of jams, same with many of the cities and towns across the state. I agree that finding someone to play with will be a huge benefit to you. I picked my first musical instrument when I was 58 and regret so much not starting when I was about your age. Have fun!
    Pretty sure she's graduated by now. May still be in CO, though.

6. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

The question is still as relevant as ever though.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

to the original question, how difficult is it to learn to play mando? Probably easier than guitar, harder than ukulele if you're thinking of picking up a stringed instrument for strumming. Easy to get going on mando, and then like any instrument it's takes a lot of time to get really good at it. Smaller though, easier to store & carry around, more unique than a guitar, other people always seem fascinated with mandolins - never quite sure what they are unless they've been around them so a nice conversation piece.
    Collings MF Gloss Top mandolin, Kentucky KM-1000 mandolin, Godin A-8 electric mandolin, Pono Ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Signature Resonator guitar, Martin/Taylor 6 & 12 string acoustic guitars, Les Paul/ES-335/LP Jr./Strat/Tele elec guitars.