Thread: CD recommendations

Default CD recommendations

If I told you I own and like all of Simon Mayor's CDs and for Christmas received Dagger Gordon's two CDs and like those, what recommendations would you make for similar material?
    <Insert witty saying here>

Default Re: CD recommendations

Elmer Deagle perhaps....

Kevin MacLeod's "springwell", David Surette's "Northern Roots" are good ones given what you've said
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Dan's albums are excellent if you don't have them, and if you are into the Scottish stuff, then try some fiddle albums such as Jenna Reid, Fiddler's Bid and Blazing Fiddles. You can get them from here:- http://www.musicscotland.com/
    Happy new year.
    Tosh

I'm glad you started this thread. I will be ordering some CDs from it also.

Here are my faves in that vein:
    > Kevin MacLeod, "Dorney Rock"
    > Kevin McElroy, "Irish Music for the Mandolin"
    > Dan Beimborn, "Shatter the Calm" and "Torch and Fire"
    > David Surrette, "Northern Roots," "Back Roads" and "The Green Mandolin"
    > Michael Kerry, "The Rocky Road"
    > Butch Bladassari and John Mock, "The Music of O'Carolan"

Many of my favs are already listed above, but missing is the superb A Mandolin Album, by Irish mandolinist Paul Kelly -- and I think you will love it if you enjoy Mayor's New Celtic Mandolin. (And if you are particularly drawn to solo or duet arrangements, you should check the Michael Kerry and Baldasarri/Mock CDs referenced above.)

You also might want to explore CDBaby a bit: Here is a quick search I did there on the words "Irish" and "Mandolin", and it yielded many hits -- including some of the titles already listed above, but many others as well. They have demo tracks for most or all of the tunes on each of these CDs, and have very detailed descriptions of each of their CDs, including genre and instruments -- which their search engine then searches -- so one can spend all day their experimenting with different search terms there, and listening to samples from the results.
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Dec-30-2008 at 4:51pm.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Thanks for the recommendations.

Life happened and I never followed thru on any of the recommendations. I thought I'd bump the thread and see if any additional recommendations are out there.

As a note of explanation: A few years ago I obtained the Compass Records sampler and liked a song on it by Kate Rusby. I went out and bought one of her CDs and there was nothing on it similar to the song on that sampler. That is why I started this thread with a few performers I like and asked about similar ones. Just searching for "Irish" and "Mandolin" could leave me with another "Kate Rusby" CD.

Kevin Mcleod and Alec Finn "Polbain to Oranmore"
    Luke Plumb w/ James McKintosh "A Splendid Notion"
    Robin Bullock "Green Fields"
    Roger Landes "Dragon Reels"
    Steve

Thanks for your enjoyment of my CDs, Tim. I appreciate it.

In addition to what's already been suggested, I could add one or two more.

Luke Plumb (mentioned above) is a member of Scottish band Shooglenifty, who you should check out. Luke is actually Australian, but been living in Scotland for some time now. His predecessor in Shooglenifty was Ian MacLeod, who is a great player. I thoroughly recommend their first album 'Venus In Tweeds'.

I admire the playing of Paul Kotapish, who is of course also a very knowledgeable and articulate contributor to Mandolin Cafe. Check out his CD with The Moving Cloud Orchestra as well as his stuff with Kevin Burke and Wake The Dead.

David Surette is another excellent American player who I greatly enjoy. I've not heard much by Brian Taheny, but he is highly rated by many people including Simon Mayor. He is an Irishman now living in Canada.

When I started playing mandolin seriously in the 70's I was influenced by the Boys Of The Lough. Dave Richardson played some very good mandolin on some of those early discs. I never felt their studio albums did them justice, so I would recommend their 2 early live albums 'Wish you Were Here' and what I think was their third album 'Recorded Live' at Passim's, Cambridge Mass.
    David A. Gordon

Brian Taheny lives in Toronto and has one mandolin CD out with Andrew Collins, also of Toronto, called Mandolore. Good CD!
    Too many instruments...too little time

Here's another you might like -- The Travellers: John Reischman, Butch Baldassari, and Robin Bullock -- a nice easy-listening mixture of Celtic, old time, and other stuff, if you can still get it.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Quote Originally Posted by BBarton View Post
    Here's another you might like -- The Travellers: John Reischman, Butch Baldassari, and Robin Bullock -- a nice easy-listening mixture of Celtic, old time, and other stuff, if you can still get it.
    Thanks for the recommendation! You can definitely still get it, here or here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    Robin Bullock "Green Fields"
    Thanks to you too, Steve, glad you like that one! That CD's been out of print for several years, but I just remastered it last month and am hoping to get it reissued on my own label within the next year or so.

Some great sounding stuff here, I'm gonna check out. I thought I would recommend the Canadian folk singer David Francey. A wonderful songwriter who draws on traditional and celtic song traditions with timely lyrics.
    Mandolin is part of many of the songs, particularly on the CDs - Right of passage, The waking hour, Skating rink and Torn screen door, which has one of my very fave mandolin accompaniments on the song -Blue water, by Gaston Bernard.

Early Danny Carnahan

http://www.dannycarnahan.com/store/index.html
    (the lower 4 CDs)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_242ltvgqc0_e

I have a Robin Bullock guitar CD and really like it. Anything by John Doan is also excellent.

Hello Tim,

I´m a admirer of Simon Mayors music, too. I think you´d probably like "a mandolin album" from Paul Kelly. Its on his own label Malgamú Music and I like it a lot. And then there´s the fantastic band Lia Luachra with Declan Corey on Mandolin. I own the two CDs of them and its some wonderful and very unique music.
    If you don´t meant only irish/scotish mandolin, I´d recommend Petri Hakala, his own CDs and his recordings with the "Helsinki Mandoliners" and with Markku Lepistö. "Silta" is great. Then there are Plektronite, also from Finland. And one more european recommendation would be Patrick Vaillant and his Melonious Quartet.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. I've purchased:
    Irish Music for the Mandolin - Kevin McElroy
    Northern Roots - David Surette
    The Rocky Road - Michael Kerry
    The Green Mandolin - David Surette
    Music of O'Carlan - Butch Baldassari

Haven't had time to give them all a close listen so omission isn't criticism but I really like Northern Roots and Music of O'Carlan.