Thread: "When I Get My New House Done"

Default "When I Get My New House Done"

I've been listening to this CD of Martin Marcus' fiddling all day.
    I looked him up after Scott Nygaard taught me the tune "Cousin Sally Brown" on the guitar. Unbelievable fiddling & tone that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. This is without doubt my pick for CD of 2008!

Default Re: "When I Get My New House Done"

Hey Doc,

It's Marcus Martin (not Martin Marcus), and I agree with you--he's great. I have some old cassette tapes with recordings of him, and I play a quite few tunes from his repertoire--some of them with Scott Nygaard when we play as a mando-guitar duet. I haven't got that particular CD, but looks like I should pick it up.

Here's a nice review of the recording: http://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/m_martin.htm

Happy holidays, and thanks for the tip.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Thanks Paul... I knew that... I guess it was late at night. For a bluegrasser I have added Marcus Martin & Bob Holt to my favorites along with Kenny Baker & Bobby Hicks. Merry Christmas. I've admired your mandolin playing for a long time.

Another great tune from Martin is Polly Put the Kettle on in Bb! It works out great on the mandolin. The Bluegrass Intensions (Eric and Suzy Thompson's Bluegrass band with Alan Senauke and Bill Evans) did a smashing version of it on their CD. Polly must be on the Marcus CD too.

http://www.myspace.com/billfossmusic