Thread: Anyone heard of Westminster Mandolin?

Default Anyone heard of Westminster Mandolin?

Found one today, told it's 30 years old....only tag if a label inside that says model M700 and made in Japan.....400 reduced from 800 dollars....anyone know of this make?

Exclamation Re: Anyone heard of Westminster Mandolin?

Westminster was an imprint of instruments marketed through Japan but often actually made in Korea. By imprint I mean that an American importer would order the instruments for their own distribution network with a name they chose. The same instruments could turn up in other US markets with an entirely different brand name on them, such as Fame, El Greco, Crestwood, Morris, et al. So it's not really a brand with a firm reputation. $400 seems steep to me, but see if you can try it out on approval. It may be really nice. It may just be a tired-out plywood or pressed-top budget item. Buyer beware.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Default Re: Anyone heard of Westminster Mandolin?

Okay. Went through the registration to tell you guys. Westminster is a brand of Pennino Music, a musical product wholesaler in the Southern California area during the last half of the 20th century. I worked through college at Whittaker Music Co. in Long Beach, CA. One of our main wholesale distributors was Pennino Music. Not just instruments, but parts, reeds, strings, batons, et al. In 1974, I told Ron Whittaker I needed an F-5 looking mando that I could put a pickup in and use on stage. He got me a Westminster 520C. Florentine, carved spruce top, maple back and sides. Lovely instrument. MSRP in 1974 $799. Family price, $474. This turned out to be one of my best buys ever. Mandolin is still stellar. Think Kentucky 1500.

To me a 50%0price drop is a big red flag. It could be worth the money but I doubt it. If you decide to sell it down the road you would have a hard go of it.

You guys know this is a 12 year old thread, right?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    You guys know this is a 12 year old thread, right?
    Yeah, but references to Westminster mandolins are so rare, I thought I'd add my two bits. BTW, Pennino Music Co. was located in Westminster, CA, hence the name.

Odd timing; there’s a Westminster guitar for sale on Craigslist Phoenix.
    Play em like you know em!