Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mando on vacation

I'm taking mine with me on my next vacation to CA. The Mandolin Symposium. Maybe I'll be able to find some folks to pick with.

I just went away last weekend for 3 days. For the first time in 2 years I did NOT take it. Well, that was a mistake! I figured that since my schedule was packed I wouldn't have any time to play. Wrong! I sat around for a couple of hours on Saturday with nothing to do! Never again!

Take the mandolin every time!

Eric

I'm headed to the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas on Saturday for a week. My Sweet Pea and my daughter's travel guitar are going with us. Makes my husband crazy!
    Susan

so, generally take my ky150s (same one i bring with me to schools/camps, etc...)on vaca,. the ky is fine to play, but not nearly as fun as my baby is. they ky doesn't have the same feel or ring to it.

anyway, taking the family (and the minivan- how suburban) up to a resort near mt.tremblant in canada. no a.c. (generally don't need it) not too humid, and though it is on a lake and there is a pool as well, i doubt i'll bring it down there with me. in the past, i have had approx 1-2 hrs of alone time (every parent/spouse's dream), and take about 1/2 hr to 1 hr on the porch of my condo overlooking the mountain and lake. do i take my baby (custom) or the beater???

heeeeelp!

Quote Originally Posted by
    do i take my baby (custom) or the beater?
    My criteria is: If I am only going to be playing on my own, I would favor the beater. However, if I am going to go to some jams, I would favor the main mando. Also, if there is any danger of loss or damage on the trip, I would favor the beater.

I've gotta problem here: The wife and me are going to Venice in Italy for our holiday. Do I take the mandolin I usually take away with us, or do I try and buy a bowlback when I'm there?

Marraige guidance appreciated here!

Al

mandojohnny- always has an answer for me- thanks!
    well, no real risk of damage or loss- locked condo, fancy shmancy resort. prob. just by myself, though in the past i have gotten up to play blues harp with the house barband a few times, so you never know. anyone else have an opinion on this one- hop in.

btw- london al- buy the bowlback- but honey, its not just for me, it is a rememberance of our trip. other than bringing home a gondola- what is more venice? it is a keepsake for both of us to treasure for years to come!

whaddayathink?

Quote Originally Posted by
    but honey, its not just for me, it is a rememberance of our trip. other than bringing home a gondola- what is more venice? it is a keepsake for both of us to treasure for years to come!
    Ira:
    That is absolute genius, man! I could plan a trip for two to Australia! "Honey, what better to remind us of our trip than this Gilchrist!" My mind is in high gear now!

Eric Hansen

I took my mando to my 30th high school reuinon this last weekend. #My old pal brought his Taylor. we had a grand time, hadn't picked with him in 15 years!
    it also came in handy in Portland airport when my connecting flight was delayed 5 hours!!!

Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

Eric Hansen

say wannabethile,
    while you're in hawaii, be sure to acquire an ukulele. its the perfect keepsake for your vacation (just like ira suggested) and its much easier to kick back on the beach and strum away beneath the swaying palm trees.
    Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

It's always better to have it and not want it than to want it and not have it. No matter where I go I take my guitar and maybe the mandolin. Guitar player first, mandolin for enjoyment.
    What The ....

Always take one. My two Stradolins have been to more places than I have.

I just did a week of fly fishing in Montana and left the mandolin home. I wanted to be able to fish "worry free" and not hassle with trying to keep it from cooking in the car for long periods while fishing. Also didn't want to deal with it at the airport. #It also gave my beat up hands some much needed rest.

If my wife was going I would leave it home for sure. That way, she could have a vacation too. #

I know it's hard to believe, but it is possible to go a whole week without a mandolin. I proved it.
    Bill James
    www.axinc.net

My reccomendation is to take your least valuable mandolin in your best case. If it has to be packed in the trunk, store it deep with lots of things packed around it for insulation. But take it if you are considering it. Enjoy your trip..Gary Silverstein

(Glad you're on side Ira)
    I'm lookin' into checkin' out the second hand market in Northern Italy.
    Anyone bought a bowlback in Italy?
    The wifes working on the phrase book and the hand gestures.
    Al

ok, leavin tom. to canada- again, its a drive not a plane. 4 hours to friends in vt, overnight then on to canada (3 more hours). we have a beautiful 2 br condo. no ac but you don't need it. though if i need to would be fine with my kentucky, but the joy i get from playing my oval hole beauty is way more considerable. no probs with theft. can keep it right under my bed. kept diamond earings for my wife there a few years back and no prob, so i don't see one with the mando.

whaddayathink??

Take the Kentucky....then you have no stress.....that's what it's about there anyway.....right?
    You only get one chance. Make the best of it.

With great trepidation, decided to take a bowlback with me to California. (The trepidation came after reading about America West Airlines hereabouts)>

No problem getting on the plane out of DC, but when I switched planes in Phoenix, one of the attendants started giving me a hard time about it (even as folks had bulkier stuff under their seats). A more senior attendant just popped it into the overhead. The fact that I'd gotten it most of the way across the country already no doubt influenced the outcome, but I was a little worried. Now I just have to convince them to let me bring it back home!)

It's a vacation, isn't it? I've never been hassled on planes with my mandolin, and I've taken in on puddle jumpers and jumbo jets, across country, and last month to Holland for a 5 day (work related- but still vacation!) trip. ALWAYS as carry on, even when I've got another carry on bag.#I thought the whole point of these things is they go anywhere!!

again, for me, not worried about plane as i'm driving, just don't know if i should take my good mando or my p.o.s.

Quote Originally Posted by (Bob A @ July 22 2004, 19:29)
    My late hounddog had a lovely melodious voice. I'm moved to read of the French horn duet.

Timely topic - I've been debating taking a mando on a trip to California. Most of my trips are to upstate NY to visit family. There's always a mandolin with me then.
    If you're going anywheres near 'Frisco, stop in at Gryphon instrument repair in Palo Alto and say heidi to Frank Ford @Frets.com. He's a mando picker too.
    "If you've got time to breathe, you've got time for music," Briscoe Darling

There seems to be a recurring theme here. #Mandos and Fishin'. #I think I heard somwhere that Mando picking calls fish. #I 'spect a little mando pickin' and coffee in the wee hours of the morning is music to other fishermen's hears.

I always take it! AND my guitar too! Never know who you will run into and also most of the time I vacation I visit my Granny down in Miss and they alway make me sing for my dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by (jim_n_virginia @ Aug. 13 2004, 13:47)
    I always take it! AND my guitar too! Never know who you will run into and also most of the time I vacation I visit my Granny down in Miss and they alway make me sing for my dinner! #
    You're a good grandson Jimmy. I wish I could play for my granny!

decision made- bring my beauty with me. with a car trip and a safe room, no reason not to. can't wait to strum from my porch overlooking mt. tremblant and lac tremblant..........

ps- wish i had my grandma to play for her...