Thread: Tips on emando for punkrock?

Default Tips on emando for punkrock?

Hey all! I would very much appreciate some tips about emandos, since I'm thinking about upgrading to a better instrument.

I'm currently playing a Fender FM-988 (http://emando.com/builders/Fender2.htm), strung as a four-stringed, in a punkrock band. I swapped the original pickup to a SJ Ryder single-coil. The frets are worn and in poor quality, the bridge isn't very nice and the volume between strings are uneven (the E-string is much more quiet). The instrument is very much playable, and actually sound pretty good I think, but I'd like a more quality instrument, so I'm looking for an upgrade.

I'm thinking about getting a solid body or semi hollow five string. I play with overdrive most of the time, and also fiddle around with some other effect pedals: Whammy, Acoustic simulator etc. I'm a lead singer in my band, and play emando as a solo instrument most of the time when it is used. If it is possible I'd like a not so fragile instrument, since it can be pretty wild on stage and I do not want my baby to break. A minor wish is also for the strings to run over the bridge (is it called tailpiece?) since I like planting my wrist behind the bridge on the strings when playing mandolin.

I'm looking for an instrument costing maximum $1200. I've been looking at Ryders, Schwabs and Manndolins mostly. Right now I'm mostly thinking of a semi hollow manndolin (mostly since I don't like the looks of the solid body one). Do you have any other tips of builders who might be better suited for my needs? Any tips for other pickups I should consider?

Ooh, and I'm living in Sweden, so unfortunately I will not be able to test play the instrument and the instrument would have to be shipped to Sweden.
    Check out www.myspace.com/snortingmaradonas for a Swedish punk band where I play emando

Default Re: Tips on emando for punkrock?

In Sweden, are you familiar with this builder?
    http://osinstrument.se/instreng.html

check out the eye candy, electric

Yes, I've visited his homepage and I think I've played one of his acoustic octave mandolins (it sounded nice). I don't like the look of the electric he's building, and I think I'd rather go with someone more experienced with emandos, since I suspect he haven't built so many, due to the fact that there are very few emando-players in Sweden.
    Check out www.myspace.com/snortingmaradonas for a Swedish punk band where I play emando

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CLeRIK View Post
    Yes, I've visited his homepage and I think I've played one of his acoustic octave mandolins (it sounded nice). I don't like the look of the electric he's building, and I think I'd rather go with someone more experienced with emandos, since I suspect he haven't built so many, due to the fact that there are very few emando-players in Sweden.
    Honestly, the only difference between an eguitar and an emando are the measurements (scale lengths and such) and the fact that they have eight strings, or five in your case. What I would suggest is draw or have someone draw up body that you would like. Then have the guy build you one like that for you. It'll be personal and it will make you hoppy!

Glad to see some emandoers, trying a sort of experimental thingy myself and some of my friends are interested so we may get together. HAVE FUN!
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

Well, in that case I guess it would be better talking to an eguitar-builder, rather than one who builds mostly acoustic instruments?

Ofcourse I would also myself feel safer if I knew the builder had a good reputation for his/her emandos, since that is what I'm ordering. I am a student and I would be very disappointed if I bought an expensive instrument which didn't play so well that I'd like. But ofcourse it's always good to check out the opportunities that I have, so I may contact some Swedish builders too.

Given the choice between an electric guitar luthier making his first mandolin and an electric mandolin luthier who's built a lot of mandolins, I'm going with the second guy. I don't want anyone's first attempt at a mandolin, no matter how good his guitars are.

There's a thread started by a guy who picked up an emando by a well-known builder of custom electric guitars that are highly prized by collectors and celebrity players. But it turns out the mandolin has a pickup with poles that don't match the string spacing.

In Europe, I'd try to look at Andreas Kopke of Pendennis Instruments in Germany and Daniel Schaer of DS Guitars in Switzerland.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Given the choice between an electric guitar luthier making his first mandolin and an electric mandolin luthier who's built a lot of mandolins, I'm going with the second guy. I don't want anyone's first attempt at a mandolin, no matter how good his guitars are.

There's a thread started by a guy who picked up an emando by a well-known builder of custom electric guitars that are highly prized by collectors and celebrity players. But it turns out the mandolin has a pickup with poles that don't match the string spacing.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Even though the difference between electric guitars and electric mandolins may not be huge - surely there must still be a difference. I mean, some companies are more renowned for their electric basses, while some are more renowned for the electric guitars.

About the wrong pickup, actually kind of the same thing happend to me. I bought my first mandolin, an old acoustic one, awful playability and everything but I got it cheap and haden't played any mandolins before so I had nothing to compare it with. I went to a local music shop some time later because I needed a pickup/microphone for it. They installed a pickup made for dobros in it, with wrong string spacing and all. It actually sounded okay, but I'd be more satisfied with a better option.

I have both a Mann and Schwab 5-strings...and for rock/metal I like the Schwab mainly because of the humbuckers...it's just a fatter thicker sound...and I don't know if you're playing with a guitar player or not, but that is something to consider...
    PeacE
    Brian

Isn't there a humbucker on the Mann? I thought so
    Yeah, I'm playing with a guitar player. He plays a Fender Stratocaster. I'm actually more into single coils, I like the twang they make (I love Telecasters), but I guess the sound could be a bit too piercing on an emando. The other band members are sometimes complaining about the treble on the one that I'm playing now, so usually I have to turn it down on the amp.

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CLeRIK View Post
    Isn't there a humbucker on the Mann? I thought so
    Yeah, I'm playing with a guitar player. He plays a Fender Stratocaster. I'm actually more into single coils, I like the twang they make (I love Telecasters), but I guess the sound could be a bit too piercing on an emando. The other band members are sometimes complaining about the treble on the one that I'm playing now, so usually I have to turn it down on the amp.
    They're just jealous .
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock