Thread: MP3s of Jonathan Rudie, mandolin & Mark Edwards, guitar

Default MP3s of Jonathan Rudie, mandolin & Mark Edwards, guitar

A few unedited, live MP3 recordings of a classical mandolin and guitar duo I perform with. (recorded with hand held Edirol R-09)

Jonathan Rudie, mandolin, & Mark Edwards, guitar.

http://www.friendlycoffeehouse.org/jonathan-rudie

1. Gragnani - Notturno #3
    2. Satie - Gymnopedie #1
    3. Spanish Dance

your thoughts, comments, and or criticism are all welcome...
    Last edited by Jonathan Rudie; Dec-16-2008 at 1:28pm.
    Jonathan R.

"Music is my mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one." Duke Ellington

Default Re: MP3s of Jonathan Rudie, mandolin & Mark Edwards, guitar

What, no comments after five days? I'll stick my neck out and say "Very nice!" Deliberately accessible pieces, well executed, with feeling.

My only question regards the tempo of the familiar Satie piece.. Slower than I am used to. Were you trying for a particular feeling, or to make a particular statement?

http://www.Cohenmando.com

I wouldn't read anything into the paucity of replies, Dave. I, for one, have already excused myself to Jonathan for this delay.

I have indeed amassed a lengthly "listening list", awaiting this little vacation coming up. Once things slow down a bit, I intend to go through all these threads with enticing mando-morsels, listen carefully --and surely with much pleasure-- and post a few remarks.

I suspect that others, too, may be in similar circumstances.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays to all!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cohen View Post
    My only question regards the tempo of the familiar Satie piece.. Slower than I am used to. Were you trying for a particular feeling, or to make a particular statement?

http://www.Cohenmando.com
    Love the pieces and have had a chance to re-listen. I play the Satie at about the same tempo as well. I didn't know that Gymnopedie could be faster .
    Dan

Jonathan,

Really nice playing! I especially like the Gragnani piece. Happy holidays to you and thanks for sharing!

John G.

Hello Jonathan,

You and your duo partner Mark play with nice musical feeling. And with a great understanding of the music of Satie's 1st Gymnopedie. Many thanks for the soundfiles, I have enjoyed listening to them very much!

Alex

Ah, at last, having done Due Pilgrimage to various branches of my U.S.-based family, I get to listen to some music!

Nice, warm playing. Bravo, Jonathan!

If I may ask: which of your instruments are you playing on these performances? What strings do you have on? I have nothing but good words for the actual playing, but I felt that the recorded sound was a bit too closely miked; in other words, I would have appreciated a bit more ambient sound in the mix. My $0.02 worth, of course, de gustibus, and all that. The playing itself was warm and sweet.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post
    Hello Jonathan,

You and your duo partner Mark play with nice musical feeling. And with a great understanding of the music of Satie's 1st Gymnopedie. Many thanks for the soundfiles, I have enjoyed listening to them very much!

Alex
    Hi Alex,

Thank you for the nice comments about my MP3's. I am pleased you enjoyed listening to them! We will be posting more soundfiles in the near future. Hope you and Het Consort have a super New Year.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Jonathan Rudie; Dec-30-2008 at 1:57pm.
    Jonathan R.

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    Nice, warm playing. Bravo, Jonathan!
    If I may ask: which of your instruments are you playing on these performances? .... I have nothing but good words for the actual playing, but I felt that the recorded sound was a bit too closely miked; in other words, I would have appreciated a bit more ambient sound in the mix. My $0.02 worth, of course, de gustibus, and all that. The playing itself was warm and sweet.

Cheers,

Victor
    Hi Victor,

Thanks for taking the time to listen to the mp3's and posting your thoughts.

Regarding your questions, the recording was not proffesionsal. It was a live and unedited recording, done with a very small hand held Edirol R-09 recorder, which was about 6 or so feet from where we played. The instrument (not my regular mando) was a 1895 Vinaccia with strings (almost as old as the instrument itself, that sorely needed to be replaced....). Hope you have a super New Year.

Jonathan
    Jonathan R.