Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 bar blues scale?

Default Re: 12 bar blues scale?

This thread is proof that if you have to ask what the blues is, can't nobody explain it to ya'!

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    This thread is proof that if you have to ask what the blues is, can't nobody explain it to ya'!
    Not that I would have a clue, but if one were to ask Yank Rachell to explain the blues, could he do so? Purely theortical since Yank isn't with us, but many of the finest musicians have no clue about theory. It's a feeling thing, a direct connection with the art.

The fellow who made first musical contact with our thread-starter had some ideas about how to PLAY, but perhaps not much in the explain-that-theory department.

If all of our attempts result in a fellow who can begin to hear music coming out of his mando, maybe, just maybe, he'll know what the blues is with nary an explanation needed.

"And remember folks, the blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

Amen, Willie Brown.
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerman View Post
    That would be great I have looked all over the intertubes for "what is a mandolin note" I have not found much but have a lot more questions.
    A note is a note and a scale is a scale. Doesnt matter what instrument you have.

Learn and practice what is show in G above.

You can change it to E later when you learn more.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Tuckerman,
    There's no such thing as a "mandolin note," or rather, no such thing as a note specific to mandolin. Notes are notes are notes. Notes can be played on various instruments, but they are the same notes, whether they are played on a mandolin, guitar or fluglehorn. Again, do some basic research on what note, chord, and scales are. Try wikipedia.

I started writing a music theory primer at lunch time today. Then I got on a role and forgot I had a job to go back to. But I'm still only about a third of the way done.
    I'm going to finish it, but Tuckerman will probably have his doctorate in musicology by that time.
    I will post it when it's done. If any one might like to see it before it's done and maybe offer some feedback, let me know. The later at night I try to write, the more it seems to slide from 'primer' to 'manifesto.'

ApK

Quote Originally Posted by ApK View Post
    ...the more it seems to slide from 'primer' to 'manifesto.'

ApK
    Someone had to do it...

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about!

I'll draw the chord charts and TAB the exercises...lol
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

I'd just like to make the observation that you guys deserve plaudits for the time and patience you all have taken to guide this beginner. Very commendable of you. A tip of the hat...

Quote Originally Posted by MandoNicity View Post
    I'd just like to make the observation that you guys deserve plaudits for the time and patience you all have taken to guide this beginner. Very commendable of you. A tip of the hat...
    Arnold Schultz's influence goes a long way....

And besides, once constructed, the method can be used to lure more unsuspecting MandoNewbies.

...And, well, thanks! I hear a Library Truck coming, it must be ApK's Mandofesto!

And, to be able to do this under the bright glare of so many fine theorists & teachers will be a true test of it's effectiveness.
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MandoNicity View Post
    For sure thanks you all have help me a great deal and now the tips of my figures hurt and my wife thinks I should go somewhere else to practice.

For sure thanks you all have help me a great deal and now the tips of my figures hurt and my wife thinks I should go somewhere else to practice.
    Probably already be typed, but listen to the blues to learn the hear and play the blues. I remember trying to learn a shuffle way back when I was starting guitar. Hearing it was the key to playing it.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

....and another long association with Italy's National Bird & Kentucky's Finest Ambassdor commences....
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Considering he weather in Mike Bromley's hometown of Calgary. a tip of the toque might be more appropriate!

So I had another lesson last night and when I showed him my 12 bar blues scale he chuckled at my d7. What he is trying to show me I guess is that you can find cords in a bunch of places as long as we follow some rules. So he showed me a better spot to play a d7 which fit what I was playing.

Blog Entries

Blues? Don't you all know that there is no room in the blues for a mandolin.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post

Jim
    Hey I'm re watching all of your youtube vids right now (Spanish Castle Magic). Thanks man.

So I had another lesson last night and when I showed him my 12 bar blues scale he chuckled at my d7. What he is trying to show me I guess is that you can find cords in a bunch of places as long as we follow some rules. So he showed me a better spot to play a d7 which fit what I was playing.
    The rule for D7...A C-note. Up here in Canada C has Special Significance. A C-note (C for Cent) is one hundred dollars. Uh-oh, mandolin lessons with a bit of French mixed in....

I'm glad your (my) wacky D7 chord made your mentor chuckle. First rule of mandolins....

A note about notes: If you notice my wacky D7, it is formed from the D chord, and adding a C NOTE to the chord by fretting the A strings at fret three.

There are many different ways to form chords as long as the rules are met, and you are discovering early where all of this can take you!

Jim
    If the inverse wasn't true, BLUEgrass would never have existed. Apparently there is room in the mandolin for the blues.
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

Jim

hehehe nice Jim
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

It ain't called blueSgrass, Mikey, boy.

Quote Originally Posted by ApK View Post
    It ain't called blueSgrass, Mikey, boy.

Nope, it sho' nuff ain't, bubba!
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Blog Entries

----If the inverse wasn't true, BLUEgrass would never have existed. Apparently there is room in the mandolin for the blues. ---

I was making a joke. I'm a blues mandolinist.

JR

----If the inverse wasn't true, BLUEgrass would never have existed. Apparently there is room in the mandolin for the blues. ---

I was making a joke. I'm a blues mandolinist.

JR
    That makes two of us...
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Maybe if we could eliminate that "Bill Monroe" guy from the equation, we could all be discussing "Happygrass"!

ok so i just got a mando for christmas. and ive played many other string instruments (guitar, bass, banjo) so im picking it up quite fast. i figured out the blues in g but i dont have the greatest understanding of chords on the mando yet. so how would i play the blues in other keys? like d?

Default Basic Theory Primer

Here's a belated holiday present to Tuckerman, i.p.t.mando and anyone else who thinks maybe they are missing something basic.

Attached is a first draft and I welcome (polite and constructive) feedback.

Hope you find it useful,

ApK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails primer.pdf  

ApK,
    The primer is very good in general. Two suggestions I would make; more emphasis on the I, IV, V, being the root of most songs, and two make it clearer that between E and F and B and C are only 1/2 of a step between them.