Thread: Bad set of J74's

Default Bad set of J74's

I put on a set of D'addario strings the night before last J74,s. I strung it up and put it away until last night when I got it out to play with the group. It was only then I noticed that I had E strings on both bottom courses. They had put E strings in the A package. I can't see well close up so I didn't even notice when I put them on.

My question is does this happen often? And where can I find single strings online. I bought them from my local store and since I have already put them on I can't take them back.

Default Re: Bad set of J74's

I've never had that happen. I would take the instrument and the packaging back to the store, show them the situation and see what they will do for you. Most stores keep an inventory of single strings. They should give you a pair and then order replacements from D'Addario. If they only have guitar strings in the right gauge, it's easy enough to clip the ball ends out. Their repair person could do it for you, or there are instructions on frets.com. Or you can twist a loop end with pliers and a small screwdriver. BTW, I NEVER only have one set of strings. If I put a new set on, there is always another new set in the case, not to mention a whole bag full of "orphans" from sets over the years.

Yeah, I've had that happen with EXP74s. I had spare A's onhand so, no big deal, and only once. Singles online should be easy to find, juststrings has 'em I think, but there are several string sources that should be easy to search. That kind of thing happens in manufacturing, and I'm sure it's human error. The quality of the strings is there, and, like I said, it only happened to me once.
    I always carry spares, but don't really have room for a whole set. The A's and E's can break. Your local guy will make this good if he wants your buisness. I hope online stores don't put all these little guy, mom and pop music stores out of buisness. I fear that things are about to get tough for those sort of non-essential stores.
    Last edited by Mike Snyder; Dec-13-2008 at 12:40am. Reason: I'm a bubble brain.
    Mike Snyder

I have never had the wrong strings put in the wrong bag, but I have had a pack when the bottom strings were not wound tight and I did not know untill I put them on and strung it up.

I took it off and streched it end to end and it felt like a slinky.
    But a BIG KUDOS to D'Addario I sent them a email and the package number and in 3 days I had two new sets straight from the factory no questions asked. I was kinda' proud to say I play D'Addario after my dealing with them, great customer service.
    "Just pick it son"

The store where you bought the strings would most likely give you a refund or replace the strings for you if you go in to explain. I'd certainly contact D'Addario also to tell them what happened.
    I've contacted them a couple of times in the past & they were extremely courteous & professional. If something's going wrong with their product,they like to know about it - help them to help us & do us all a service,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks everyone- Given my current financial conditions I now have to buy strings one set at a time and I play that set until they are no longer usable. I never thought I would have to actually sweat buying strings but I do. I have no spare strings because I never break strings. Don't ask me why but I haven't broken a string in probably 20 years.

D'addario makes great strings I have no problem with them until now. I will contact them just to let them know but I will assume it was just a unusual error.

As far as the Mom and Pop store goes I drove 30 miles to buy one set of J74's and one set of J17's for my guitar. Cost $18. Just for the strings. I am afraid I will have to go online from now on.

This is funny and makes me feel better. I had the exact same experience yesterday with J74's I had purchased about a year ago. I noticed it when I was tuning up the E course. Fortunately I had enough string left to correct the situation. I thought I had made the mistake and felt like a fool. Now I feel vindicated.

I contacted D'addario via E-mail over the weekend and a delivery guy just brought a set of A strings this morning (Wednesday). I am sure it was Monday before they had a chance to get the E-mail. Great customer service! Just wanted everyone to know. I am very impressed.

D'Addario has been having some quality-control issues lately, but they have always been very responsive in the customer-service department. I bought a dozen sets of J75s a while back that had bad E strings--every loop end unravelled under tension--and D'Addario replaced them all immediately and copped to fact that they had a problem with one of their winding machines that resulted in the problem.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I came to put a new set of J74'2 on my Beartooth a couple of days ago & found that one of the 2nd string loops had broken off. Luckily,i had a spare 2nd from a set of FT74's that i used to use so i didn't have to split a new pack of strings. Maybe it was as a result of the fault with the string winding machines that Paul just mentioned.These strings were bought only a few weeks ago from Janet Davis so it could well be. I've used D'Addario strings for eons & had very few problems,so i can't complain.If i find any more broken loops,i'll just e-mail D'Addario to let them know - they probably know anyway,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've tied a bowline knot on a string with the broken-off loop, and found it held well if tightened carefully. Not that it shouldn't break, just that it's still servicable.
    Mike Snyder