Thread: Kentucky KM-700C Bracing

Default Kentucky KM-700C Bracing

Hello. I am new to this message board but not new to mandolins. I am a mandolin luthier in Amarillo, TX. I have not built one from scratch yet, but have repaired and rebuilt a lot. One thing I do is hand carve custom bridges and saddles for mandolins to bring out the most potential in that particular mandolin's tone. One factor is based on where the tone bars are. I recently got a Kentucky KM-700C (oval hole) mandolin and I have not made a bridge for an animal of this kind before. The bracing is obviously a lot different than your typical F-5 model. The bridge that is on it is one of those cheap generic unknown wood type with an uncompensated saddle. Does anyone know about the bracing system in these mandolins, or maybe where to get something like a blueprint or cross-section or some sort of diagram of the construction of this mandolin? Thank you so much!

Default Re: Kentucky KM-700C Bracing

Look inside.. its got a big enough hole.
    Michael Lettieri

In looking at my reply it kinda sounded lame. first off welcome to the board and I'm sure you will get lots of information.
    Michael Lettieri

Blog Entries

Actually Mike's advice is good. Use an inspection mirror and look inside. You should be able to see the tone bar (parallel or X) or if it used a transverse brace. I believe those were made from 1992-1995 so there won't be any info on the Saga site anymore.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Ok, thanks guys...I guess what I really meant was, is there a specific way I should carve the feet on this bridge that is different from a "normal" mandolin? This thing is very loud as is, with an extreme booming bass end.

Okay. I got home and tried my best to see inside it. It has a rather small oval hole and a wretched fingerboard extension that covers half the hole. There is one lateral brace right below the soundhole and I cannot see a second one. Either it is really far down there or one does not exist...not sure which. So, are there any acoustic engineers out there to help me?? Thank you!