Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: klezmer mandolin

Default Re: klezmer mandolin

Sorry bout that Gerry,
    I play a 1917 Gibson F-4 it has got a full refined sound and I am fortunate to be it's caretaker.Thanks for the positive comments on the you tube video. Your Mandolin orchestra sounds great!!! I guess I would need to learn to read music to join in. I would love to have a recording of Martin Kalisky

Happy Chanukah...Merry Christmas and best wishes to all...Gary Silverstein

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Mandocrucian's Digest had a couple of klezmer things in it: (Special on back issues still going on through the end of the month. see cafe classifieds)

#19 - The fictional adventures of Mando Mac Hameron in "Embezelling Banjos", History of Mandolin-banjos by Alan Ede, Bluegrass w/Baldry ("Sally Goodin", "Shortenin' Bread"), New England Dance Tunes w/David Surette ("The Cat In The Hopper", "President Garfield's Hornpipe"), Cajun w/Comeaux ("Chez Seychelles"), Klezmer w/Henry Koretzky ("Freylehke Yiden"), Jazz/Swing w/McGann, Mandolin in rock discography - part 4, John Bird essay: "A Picker's Progress", book and record reviews.

#18 - BOBBY CLARK profile ("Oklahoma Twister", "Redwing"), essays: "Why I'd Like To Blow Up My Local Music Store" and "A Tale Of 2 Mandolin Pickers", Irish Mandolin w/Mick Moloney (more "Cregg's Pipes"), Cajun Mandolin w/Comeaux ("Cajun Groove"), Jazz/swing w/McGann (an approach to comping), Rumanian tune ("Hora Mare"), Bluegrass w/Baldry (doublestop licks), Street Performance w/Sean Grissom, 1990 Listening survey, record reviews, comix, letters.

#17 - Review of electric guitar rock/blues instructional books/tapes, Bluegrass w/Baldry (In a Minor Mode), Street Performance w/Grissom (the biggest hats), Jazz/swing w/McGann (Q&A), klezmer tune ("Yoshke, Yoshke"), "Hangman" arranged for cittern/octave mandolin (or mandolin)/voice, Finnish tune ("Purpurrimarssi"), John Bird essay: "Why I Love The Mandolin", Mandolin in rock discography - part 3, record reviews.

(Excess back issue inventory is probably headed to the shredder in 09. Better off taxwise to get it off the books than holding on to excess unsold inventory. Don't look for it to appear later online, either.)

Niles H

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Hey Gary,

Is there sheet music for that? or did you learn it form the recording? sounds great.
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

yea, IS there some sheet music??

where can i find some?

I learned it by listening to the recording by Naftule Brandwein, a must for anyone interested in Klezmer music. There are a lot of sources for learning and appreciating Klezmer music. First and foremost any recorded music by Naftule Brandwein and Dave Tarras. Here are some Klezmer music links that I hope will be helpful...Gary
    http://www.jewishmusic.com/
    http://www.muziker.org/resrec/
    http://www.manchesterklezmer.org/

. I would love to have a recording of Martin Kalisky

Happy Chanukah...Merry Christmas and best wishes to all...Gary Silverstein[/QUOTE]

I could make a CD or try to email it.

Got something to trade?

Default Re: Kalinsky etc,

Hello. Was wondering if you were able to find a recording of Kalisky. There`s a backstory to my request.

Regarding tunes, there is a sheet music book "Klezmer fiddle tunes for two mandolins" by Deborah Greenblatt.http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/...music/16572659
    I think most of the tunes are not fiddle tunes but vocal songs, and I do not really like the way the second mandolin is arranged, but to learn some basic Klezmer melodies and the chords to them, it seems OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Tenney View Post
    I play a lot of klezmer mandolin and mandola. Check out www.californiaklezmer.com to hear some of my playing both solo and ensemble work.
    Gerry Tenney
    Gerry's been playing wonderful Klezmer mandolin for decades....I can vouch for his ability, Yiddishkeit, and sense of humor.

Default Re: Kalinsky etc,

Can anyone recommend beginner friendly klezmer tabs? My grandfather played this style of music on the mandolin, and I'd love to continue the tradition. Thanks!

http://www.melbay.com/Products/95540...struments.aspx
    Try the sample tune, it's very easy.
    From the same book, you should try :
    Der Shtiler Bulgar
    Odessa Bulgar
    Lebidikh Un Freylakh
    Tish Nigun

These tunes are very popular and you can easily find the scores (usually in Bb) on the web.
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."