Thread: string size for cgda and cfgBb

A DEAD HEAD

Default string size for cgda and cfgBb

I have a 23"scale goldtone tenor guitar.i'am tuning it with a tuner and i have tune the last 3 strings c3-g4-d4-and it seem to me that the tenson is getting to tight to make it to a4 on first string. I'am using strings 12-16-24-32- and i'am thinking about trying c-f-g-Bb
    Some people know a little about
    about a lot of things,i would rather
    know a lot about the little things
    BORN AGAIN CUB FAN

Default Re: string size for cgda and cfgBb

I can only seem to get .010s to tune up to A. Even .015s break most of the time just flat of A. If you find anything different, I'm all ears.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Yes - Your C and G strings should be about the right guage, but the treble strings are way too heavy. I have experimented a little but use gauges of about 35/25/14/10 for CGDA . Some players use even lighter, but I like a bit heavier strings for the bass. These guages work ok with me to tune down a step to BbFCG.

For GDAE tuning you will need considerably heavier bass strings - there is another thread discussing this. Maybe in the neighborhood of 48 on the bottom and 12 on the top, but you may need a wound A string (like a 20-22 guage).
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Martin and D'Addario both make tenor sets ... either one works for CGDA tuning on my tenor.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

A DEAD HEAD

PETE I'am using D'addario ej16 guitar strings 12-16-24-32- and i got it to tune in ,what i did was take it very slow.When tuning i would get it close then wait for 10 minutes,and then get it closer and wait again.I used this on line tuner http://www.hotshare.net/en/file/87728-689298873d.html this will tune to to differant octaves tune to c3 g3 d4 a4 let me know if that helps(you might not need to wait ,but i did)
    Some people know a little about
    about a lot of things,i would rather
    know a lot about the little things
    BORN AGAIN CUB FAN

I have used both Martin and D'Addario tenor sets and I like the D'Addario J66-tenor guitar/bronze set the best. They seem to last a little longer.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings