Thread: Alternate tuning - FCGD

Question Alternate tuning - FCGD

I have been thinking about alternate tuning for a 4-string mandobird, but not down as far as mandola tuning. I play with a guy that drops his guitar down a full step, so I was thinking about doing the same on the mandolin - F-C-G-D -has anyone tried this? I was thinking it would save a lot of transposing and might sound pretty good. Some guitars sound great tuned down. Is this close enough to standard tuning to use regular strings?

Johneeaaddgg

Blog Entries

Default Re: Alternate tuning - FCGD

Go for it. I used to tune my old Kentucky KM630 down a step. It sounded deeper, which I thought was pretty cool.

Go to heavier strings if you get a lot of buzzing and they feel too loose.
    Don't forget to re-intonate after changing the tuning.

Daniel

What would you suggest for strings? If I don't change strings, will intonation be a problem?
    Johneeaaddgg

dropping tuning is half the information, what Key is he playing in after that drop?
    Is he playing E stuff in D, ? you will be needing to learn a new location to find the D chords and scales.
    if He plays G stuff and his actual key is F then it will help some,...

regular medium .. being 40, 26, 15, 11 ? rather than thinner?

mandobird has adjustable bridge pieces, so if it sounds out of intonation, it can be resolved.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    dropping tuning is half the information, what Key is he playing in after that drop?
    Is he playing E stuff in D, ? you will be needing to learn a new location to find the D chords and scales.
    if He plays G stuff and his actual key is F then it will help some,...

regular medium .. being 40, 26, 15, 11 ? rather than thinner?

mandobird has adjustable bridge pieces, so if it sounds out of intonation, it can be resolved.
    He would be playing in fairly common keys if not for the drop - say Am, but with drop it is Gm, or C that becomes B-flat. I can play without dropping the mandolin down, but there has been a lot of discussion that dropping the tuning sounds better anyway, and it will save all the transposing I always have to do "on the fly."
    Johneeaaddgg

Just noticed a thread on tuning down in the equipment section. Suggestion was 12-17-26-40 for tuning down one full step, which I assume refers to a round wound string. Also note that they are talking about 8 string acoustic instruments. Not sure how to translate from round to flat wound to get equivalent strings. From reading a bit I am inclined to try the Labella flatwound MF-20s, which are 10-20-26-33. Any comments on whether they will heavy enough for tuning down?
    Johneeaaddgg

Just to update, I have been playing in FCGD quite a bit, without a full string change, and it works and sounds pretty good. Changed the D (E) string to an 11, which seems to have helped the balance. Intonation is probably off a bit, but I don't think I can hear it.

I have been playing through a cheap guitar multi-effect unit (Digitech) into a cheezy amplifier. Have to think about a better amplifier - tried out a Roland Cube with built-in effects that sounded pretty good for the amount it cost.
    Johneeaaddgg

Recipient of medication Cliff D's Avatar

Hi John L: you mention a 0.20. This gauge is trouble for me as the wound break within a week & the plain lack tone to my ear. I rarely put a wound string less than 0.22 on any of my instruments, but maybe I've not found the best type or manufacturer. So assuming these are nickel wound, whose to you use & what life do they have?
    Sorry madam, but we are fresh out of bull-dogs today!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff D View Post
    Hi John L: you mention a 0.20. This gauge is trouble for me as the wound break within a week & the plain lack tone to my ear. I rarely put a wound string less than 0.22 on any of my instruments, but maybe I've not found the best type or manufacturer. So assuming these are nickel wound, whose to you use & what life do they have?
    I have not actually tried the Labella M20s yet, but the 20 is not wound as far as I know. I have cobbled together a set of electric guitar strings - guessing 10-14-26-40 or so. Really liking the FCGD tuning on the Mandobird IV, which may call for different strings than anyone else is using. Again, I play with a guy that drops his guitar a full step so this works out well and sounds nice too. Not quite mandola tuning, but lower than standard.
    Johneeaaddgg

Drop a 1/2 step and play key of F to sound E. It sounds good against the guitar I think.

Quote Originally Posted by WindinBoy View Post
    Drop a 1/2 step and play key of F to sound E. It sounds good against the guitar I think.
    Singer tunes down a full step, which sounds great on his hollow body jazz box. Mandolin similarly tuned down also sounds great.
    Johneeaaddgg