Thread: 1969 Gibson F-5

Default 1969 Gibson F-5

I have at my reach a superb condition 1969 Gibson F-5. Please let me know any information as well as a Value(give or take).
    Last edited by jan281969; Oct-30-2008 at 5:52pm.

Default Re: 1969 Gibson F-5

I had a 1970 F5. Some say that wasn't a good year. Does it have dot inlays on the fretboard or sort of fancy inlays? Mine was 10 years old when I got it (mint condition) for 1500.00, played it for 10 years and then sold it for 1500.00, I felt lucky at the time, (it was not mint after my 10 years of playing it) and I never thought that it was that great a mando.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

I've seen some pretty good '69's and I've seen some very poor quality ones.
    And are you sure it is a '69? There were many numbers that doubled out as either a '66 or '69. I can tell which one by photos.
    Send me some photos and info. and maybe I can tell you more about it.
    isenhour@vnet.net

I sold my 69 Gibson F5 on eBay one year ago. I verified the serial number with Gibson and it had the block fingerboard inlay, nice condition and sounded real good. It went for $3500 plus shipping.
    '02 Collings MF5

It appears that the OP started two different threads on this same subject within 4 minutes of each other?
    '02 Collings MF5

I posted this responce on the other thread as well...

I have a 1974 F-5 that has been regraduated and top refinished. The top was never off the mando.
    Anyway it has a quality and cut that I have not heard in any of the new Gibson mandolis. The tone is so much more settled and direct. I believe that without the modifications that these are simply to thick to achieve the great tone. But with the mods coupled with the age, it surpasses most new mandolins.

I had thoughts of selling at the ?typical? price range of around $3000 + or - but I let the ad expire. The more I play it the more I realize it is just a much better mandolin than the main stream market realizes.

Put in the hands of a serious buyer with a good ear. I believe it is at least a $3500 + mandolin. Plus it has the mojo of finish checking and the played in edge on the tone. Here is a low pixel picture...

Also the headstock on the 1969 Gibson F-5 takes on different shape than that of the standard F-5.Wider in the center and odd at the scrolls.Is that certain specs or different with each one of the 60s? It does not bother me it is just odd to the eyes!Sharp F-5 though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lovethemf5s View Post
    It appears that the OP started two different threads on this same subject within 4 minutes of each other?
    That is true.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

'68 and '69 had some very odd shaped, almost off pattern pegheads. Other years from the 50's and 60's were pretty much identical with some varation on the little scroll at the top and the placement of the truss rod cover.
    That's why a photo here would really help us.