Thread: Pic question AGAIN

Default Pic question AGAIN

What am I doing wrong? Every time I do some chop chords while playing, the pic spins in my fingers. If I grip it harder, I feel tense and nothing sounds good. If I grip it loose, it spins. I usually use the shoulder rather than a point. I have tried all types such as plastic, Dawg, Real shell, Stone, Wegen, home made, even roughed some sides to get a grip but it ain't happening!
    So how can I cure this problem?

Thanks...
    Ace

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Default Re: Pic question AGAIN

Ace, Have you tried a thicker pick? I use a pro-plec 1.5 mm. You will get a ton of different references on what pick to use. I would start with a thicker pick.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

I would try flattening out the attack of the pick to the strings so that the pick is closer to parallel to the strings. The only way I can get my picks to spin is with an angled attack, causing the strings to dig into the edge of the pick and make it rotate. Or, drill seven 7/64" or 1/8" holes - a hexagon with a hole in the center - in the area where the pad of your thumb sits.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

My current favorite pick is a 1.5mm Pro Plec large rounded teardrop. I suspect yours is the standard shape, Keith. Some real heavy hitters here on the cafe recommend a grip on the pick I've never grown accustomed to (between your thumb and the first knuckle of your index finger with the other fingers curled behind the index for support). So, I hold it the wrong way, the way it feels comfortable, and the extended length of the large teardrop allows me to hold it between my thumb and the tips of my index and middle fingers. No spinning pick anymore, and loads of control.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Try Gorilla Snot.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I had this problem when I first started guitar, and still do if I go to long without playing. It seems to fix itself if you just don't pay attention to it. If you worry about it and fuss over it, it will get worse.

The last thing you want to do is grip the pick too tight, not only will it make you play slower but the strings wont sound together. to top it off holding the pick tighter probably wont help keep it from turning either.

hope this helps.
    Alden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Try Gorilla Snot.
    Thanks, Mike I'll look for that. I wonder how they get the gorilla to stand still?
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

I drill a small hole in the center of my pick, about the size of a pencil lead, the pads of my fingers grip the hole without my having to put a death grip on the pick.

Mike

Jim Broyles has it spot on. It is to do with the angle of attack of the pick against the strings.Make a physical effort to play with the flat of the pick parallel to the string & hit the string 'flat on'. Only if the edge of the pick hits the strings will it begin to rotate. It happens to me now & again & i just stop picking,get the correct grip on the pick & position my hand so that i'm 'flat picking' not 'edge picking'. Even if you use a 'sticky' substance on your pick to stop the rotation,if you still pick with the edge,you'll definitely loose volume & also tone to a degree. If you're a 'newish' player,it takes a while to get it just right,but you will do given time. Have a look at the YouTube clip of John Reischman as an example, & see how his arm is parallel to the strings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw_ESip7VsU

Saska
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Oct-26-2008 at 6:53am. Reason: YouTube clip added.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Those nylon picks ( grey/black) are pretty easy to hold on to - I know Frank Wakefield, Jimmy Gaud...(s?) others use them.
    keith madison