Thread: mando recommendations

Default mando recommendations

I have a MidMo M-1 and I like the woody, folky sound of it. For those of you who know the Mid Mo's sound, my question is this: what mando would be step up, which for me would mean a slightly sharper, crisper sound, but still in the woody sound style of the Mid Mo? with a budget of $1000? I have also had an Eastman 604, which was definitely thinner, almost tinny, compared to the Mid Mo. Thanks.

Default Re: mando recommendations

My very first mandolin many years ago was a used cheap import mandolin out of a Pawn shop. It was dull and lifeless but I didn't know it because I didn't know what a mandolin was supposed to sound like.

After I learned the basics I decided to upgrade and I went with a Mid Mo M-2 and with the first strum I almost fell over from the great sound that came oughtta that Mid-Mo. I loved that little mandolin and played it for almost 2 years but eventually I again yearned for another mandolin. My once cherished Mid-Mo started to look very plain next to some other mandolins I saw online or in the store.

I traded the Mid-Mo and some cash and the next one I got was an A style Bozeman 1990 Flatiron. NOW when I played that mandolin I finally knew what a mandolin is was supposed to sound like. As sweet and my old Mid Mo was the sound was too bright for the kind of music I liked (BG and Old Time). I got the Flatiron A for like $800.00 I believe. They are now like $1K for an Flatiron A style.

From that A style Flatiron I eventually went on to a couple of F Style Flatiron and then Gibsons after that. I still don't think you can go wrong with the older Flatirons. I don't know about the newer imported Flatirons but the old Bozeman Flatirons are hard to beat.

Oh yeah, now after all the mandolins I have bought and sold the ONLY two mandolins I wish I had kept was that M2 Mid-Mo and my first Flatiron F, they were truely special instruments only I didn't know it at the time.

So I say if you don't have to keep your old instruments and just get the new ones by themselves. You can always sell them later on after you make sure you don't want them so you don't have sellers remorse like me!

Default Re: mando recommendations

Used Gibson A-model? Paddle-head, pre-1920 w/o a truss rod... Might be hard to find one for $1K, they all seem to be over $1,200 now, but you're moving to a carved top, so you'll get a different sound from your Mid-Mo, but perhaps not as dissimilar as going to an f-hole, carved top instrument.

The lower Gibson A's -- A, A-1, etc. -- are still affordable, and there seem to be quite a few around. Another advantage is, if you take care of the instrument, it should appreciate in value.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM