Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brunkalla F5 #1

Here is the new Brunkalla F-5 mandolin. Martin Brunkalla is a modern violin maker besed out of Chicago. Now for those unfamiliar with any of his work, Martin was asked to make a custom fiddle for Sara Watkins of Nickel Creek which can really be heard on a few tracks of the album "This Side). Ok This is only with two coats, a few more to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP06011cropped.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	3008  

I had been looking around for a mandolin for a while. I've been everywhere to find one, I mean I played hundreds of mandos. My friend has a custom Stiver that I very much enjoyed, In fact I loved it. I was ready to offer my friend money for it. But then I came across one of Martins fiddles. I know I know, its a different beast, But you gotta play one to see what Im talking about. At that moment it put everything to a hault. I was no longer looking for a mandolin, My first thought was. I want to know what Martin Brunkalla can do. This is the most perfect fiddle Ive ever come in contact with. I want Martin to build a mandolin. Then I called Him up and proposed the mando idea. Though he had been approached with the idea before by some pretty well known players, he was just really trtying to perfect the fiddle. So i guess that I approached him at the right time. Martin seemed very intruiged by the whole Idea of making his first F5 mandolin. This is just with a couple coats, and just a few more to go. I'm getting a pic of the front tonight, which I will post. Im agoin crazy over this mando getting here. lol!

What do some of you think of this finish so far?

Wow Im blown away by all the responses lol, no really , I'm just curious to hear some opinions.

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

I think we have already seen plenty of it on the other thread and I think people will comment there if they have one!
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Well actually people were still trying to guess the name of the builder on the other thread, lots of them didnt scroll up to see the pic, so I think this thread is just fine.

Brunkalla! We all know by now. And you're right, this thread is just fine....I was just answering why you were blown away by all the responses!
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Registered Person

Jeremy, you jealous? I wouldn't blame you. Gdae, wait till folks get home from work. It looks great.

wow!

neal, NO not at all! I have the mandolin I will play until the day I die and I have owned quite a few during my years, and I don't think any builder could persuade me otherwise.

And here is the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front_oiled1.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	3030  

I must tell you, I really like the way that turned out.

Ok so I found out that the brunk#1 is gonna arrive in a week and two days.

I guess it's okay.

It might be just me but there appears to be a surface blem just above the left F-hole. It might be an imperfection in the wood, I can't really tell from that photo.

yes it does look think doesnt it?

thick I meant to type,not think lol. How could that affect the sound, do you know Scotti?

...hmm..my post vanished....yea Dem...it does look thick...but that may or may not be a problem when it comes to sound...Ive seen some that were entirely too thin in those areas....and that is a problem....more structurelly than anything else. All in all I say its a great first effort by some one thats gonna make his name in the mando builders world.

..wood is a strange beast....I couldnt really tell you how it will effect the tone....it could cut like a new file...or it could be a dog...you never know. You said you heard it...it sounded good to you and thats all that really matters. My gut feeling that being thicker in those areas shouldnt effect the tone....but hey..Im a player..not a builder.

Thanks Scotti, Thats all well put. I apreciate your imput.

..no problem...glad I could be of some help..

Looks like the scroll needs to curve around a little more too... Although I'm sure that takes a lot of practice and since this is his first one....hmmm.... you know... Anyway, good looking mandolin, hope it sounds good too...
    Philip Halcomb

CURIOUS, ISNT IT ALMOST FUNNY HOW THE SCROLL IS SOMETHING PEOPLE ARE POINTING OUT AS A NEGATIVE? THE GUY BUILDS WORLD CLASS VIOLINS, I KNOW FOR A FACT THE SCROLL HE CHOSE WAS NOT DUE TO A LACK OF EXPERIENCE

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The violin scroll in the link above looks very nice -- but carving a beautiful violin scroll is a #completely different skill than than making a mandolin scroll. #The mandolin scroll is not just a solid piece of wood carving; it requires an elaborate set of steps and the ability to visualize them ahead of time. It requires a virtuosity that no builder should be expected to master the first time around.

I think we're all guessing here as to the builder's intentions. My guess is that for his first attempt at mandolin building, he wisely chose a simplified design.

If mandolin players often point to the scroll as a negative, it's because that's where the weak point in finish work usually shows up. Of course it has nothing to do with tone.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Alrighty then,
    Wait!!!!!!! I almost for got for a few while reading that response, Wether playing mandolin is still supposed to be fun and for ones enjoyment or something closterphobic, where one has no space to move around any? All that input sounds like such a manufactured train of thought to me. Just my opinion.....
    Im just glad Mr Monteleone didnt think of it in that prospective. It definetely hasnt costed him any. What do his mandolins bring in again? 30,000?

I totally agree with August Watters. I think it was a very intelligent move to go with a little more simplified scroll the first time around and have a very classy mandolin verses a so so scroll that everyone grumbles about when they see it. Congratulations on a beautiful mando gdae_boy1, I know you are very proud.
    Dave