Thread: Correct my Pinky

Default Correct my Pinky

My name is Lee and I have a Pinky Problem. It began as a child when I was taking classical violin lessons and years and years of lessons and practice has not alleviated the problem. Whenever I push down hard with my pinky the second knuckle wants to straighten out. Would there be any specific exercise I can do to help correct this?
    Wye Knot

Default Re: Correct my Pinky

A few things come to mind:

1) Try lightening up. There is a tendency to push down too hard on all fingers, but the pinky is the weakest. Getting a good note is more about technique than strength.

2) Play what you are having that problem with slowly enough that you can concentrate on hitting the pinky notes right. Even if you have to slow way down, you can think "Here comes that pinky note! I'm going to put the finger tip just in the right spot! I'm going to keep good hand position, with a nice arch in the pinky!" At first, it will be frustrating, but eventually it will get easier and faster.

3) Do some exercises. There are some fancy hand exrecisers on the market, but I like a tennis ball. Squeeze it as much as you can all day long, especailly with the pinky.

4) This may not be practical for you, but I thought I would share. One thing that has really helped my pinky lately is learning to play the octave mandolin. That longer scale tuned in fifths really forces me to use my pinky. Now, when I go back to the regular mandolin, it's like my pinky is "on steriods!"