Thread: Affordable Oval Soundhole Mandos

Question Affordable Oval Soundhole Mandos

Hello there.
    I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for quite some time.
    My name is Matteo Ringressi I'm from Italy. I'm mainly a banjo player, but among other instruments I also play some bluegrass mandolin.
    Lately, I came to think it's time to upgrade from my 100$ Arrow to something a little better

I'm totally in love with old traditional bluegrass, and I really like the sound of the F2 and F4 mandolins in it: Curly Seckler, Paul Williams, Curly Lambert, Red Rector (not really F style)...

I'm not very familiar with mandolin brands, and it's impossible for me to try them out since I live in Italy, that's why I need some advices.
    Since mando is not my main instrument, I want to stay in the 800-1000$ range, so even an asian-imported instrument would be ok.
    I know Eastman and Michael Kelly both make oval soundhole F-style mandos, but I have no clue about their sound.

Any help and info would be apreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Matt.

Default Re: Affordable Oval Soundhole Mandos

Matt, about 3 months ago, I bought an Eastman 604A-oval (in your price range - I think I paid $625). I really like the oval hole sound - more resonance, but I don't play bluegrass. Traditional wisdom is that f-hole models are superior than oval hole models for bluegrass, but I like the flexibility of the more open, oval sound. Because it has bracing behind the soundhole, it does seem to have more punch and projection than other oval hole models. The same feature seems to give it a less "woody" sound than oval hole models by some other makers. I'm new to this (about a year), and also have an f-hole and the sound is very different. Don't want to qualify this as advice - just observation based on my limited experience.

Anita
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're right!" Henry Ford

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw

ciao matt -

i got mine from these people in the u.k.:

http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/

... what they have at the moment is an oval-hole "a" - a lovely and well made looking instrument (photos on their site - click on "mandolins," bottom of the page.) they say they're "expecting new arrivals soon" - their words, not mine. i found them to be prompt, reliable and efficient - the mandolin i bought from them is an absolute jewel.

if you would care to hear what it sounds like, please click here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmrUh2n_C8

bienvenuto al cafe e buona spesa! - bill

I'm new to mandolin, new to music in fact. My eight year old daughter caught the mando bug a little while ago and so I bought her a Kentucky 150s. Nice mando for the price and she loves it, but then I decided that despite my age, which puts me in the "can old dogs learn new tricks?" category ... that I would try this out myself. It sure looks like fun watching her go at it and I'm discovering a whole new world.

So I went to a different shop here nearer to where I live. This place, unlike the first shop, has a nice wide selection of about thirty mandolins and six or so brands. Now I had a budget of $1,200 because I thought that perhaps if my daughter stays serious, she could take the better mando over.

I took an experienced friend with me and was I in for a set of surprises! First of all, I was amazed how different one mandolin can sound from another. Then secondly, I was very surprised that to both mine and my friends ear - the best sounding mandolin was a lowly (relatively speaking) Eastman 505. The only other mandolins that sounded similar were all over $2000 and a few of those simply did not come up to the sound of the humble Eastman.

Like I said, I'm kind of new to this ... but my ears are pretty good ( wish my fingers were :D) and from my experience I would completely and unreservedly recommend the Eastmans. I don't know what they do to be able to sell them so affordably but I would say that in their case - price does not give a proper indicator of quality. They are easy to play and have a tone that I like very much ... a kind of warm tone with long sustain.

So I, of course, bought it .... and then two weeks later ... bought another ... a Eastman 605 this time. (someone should have warned me that GAS can strike at any stage! :D) THey both sound great, and in a similar way ... but oddly enough the 505, though cheaper, still sounds the sweetest to my ear.

Good luck!

There is a discussion about ODE mandolins in another thread, and I just mentioned there that there is a nice looking ODE oval-hole A-style from the '70s listed for sale at this eBay link.

At the moment the bid is $800, which seems reasonable. I haven't seen many of these around in recent years, but the ones I played in the past were all well made, good-sounding instruments. They also have a little cachet coming from Tut Taylor and possibly Bob Givens, who was working in Taylor's shop at the time the ODEs were being built there.

Might be worth checking out.

The Eastmans can be wonderful, but I've found them to be very uneven. If you find a good one, go for it.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

i just played a eastman 514 today, which is the oval hole F model, with not as many bells and whistles. I know eastman makes models in the 600s, 800s, and 900s, but the thing is i think the wood is the same, only each model has more binding, nicer looking hardware. I played the oval hole next to the f hole back to back for about 45 minutes, and decided i liked the tone of the oval hole much better, as it had much more projection, rounder tone, and sustain was great. But the thing is i wasnt looking for a bluegrass tone. The F hole model had more focused notes, but didnt project as well, and didnt have the pop that the oval hole did. I would recomend Eastman to you over the michael kellys, as they are much better in the playability department. THe neck is great, and my hand didnt cramp up from play for 45 minutes, like it did on the michael kelly that i played. Anyway, i cant say enough good things about the eastman, it definetely compares to some of the mandolins being made in the states in the 2-3k range. its just up to how much you worry about aesthetics, and bells and whistles and such you want for your mandolin when it comes to eastmans. good luck!
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

i purchased a used eastman 804 off the cafe here and love it .stays in tune realy well , great volume and tone. i have seen some new 504's that sounded great too like everyone says there are good ones and great ones, have seen some used 504's in the classifieds for 350-400 which seems pretty affordable

Registered User Tracy Ballinger's Avatar

I have to recommend Howard Morris as an oval-hole mandolin builder... he sells them both on ebay and in the classifieds in your price range. I purchased an oval hole 2 point from him in February, and have had a ball ever since! I don't have the proper experience or words to describe the sound, but I have fallen in love with the low end. =o)

There's also another interesting thread about oval hole mandolins in which you may find pertinent information.

Tracy

Time for a little oval eye candy
    One of my Eastman 804's

The
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I'd take a good look at this one at Buffalo Brothers. I have a similar one (a 504) that I think was the screaming deal of all time.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Actually, I think I like this one better. It looks almost exactly like my 504 from the front.

Welcome Matteo.

I think one of the best choices in your price point is the Breedlove Quartz 00. All solid wood, US made, carved top and back, wide, radiused neck with large frets. Not everyone's cup of espresso, but one of the best values out there. I think there's one in the classifieds here in the low $800s. Just make sure you want an oval as most bluegrassers go for an f hole model. Breedlove makes those too and all the above information still applies.

Good luck...let us know what you decide.
    Steve

Blog Entries

Welcome Matteo.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

nota bene - a mandolin sent to you from outside the european community could have considerable tax implications.

Many of us ship to Europe. Even with VAT and any other duties, buying from the US often makes sense. With a 504 Eastman available at about $500 from many of us, they're a great deal. My favorite oval hole at the moment is the Jade F / oval Bob sent me. Super mandolin.
    Stephen Perry

Hello folks, thanks for the many inputs and your help.
    I am looking for an F style oval soundhole mandolin, I'm not really interested in A styles, but thanks anyway.
    Bill, your Hudson sounds and looks awesome...I sure will keep an eye on that site!
    I seem to understand that those who got an Eastman were happy with the purchase...I'll consider that option aswell.

I am aware that most bluegrass players use F-holes mandolins, and infact I'm not sure about getting an oval yet. But some of my favorite bluegrass (other artists except those mentioned that come to mind are Everett Lilly, Joe Val, Pee Wee Lambert...) was recorded with oval-holes F style mandolins, and I really love their estethic look...so I wanted to make myself an idea of what would be a good oval soundhole F style mandolin in a decent price range.
    Keep those inputs coming, I'll be checking all of them out!
    Thanks again,
    Matt.

Eastman makes them....I've got a 614.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Searching around on the internet, I came to see several sunburst Eastman 614...really lovely!!

Matt.

That's basically the same mando as my 614. Mine is a little darker, but that's it. Eastmans do have a narrow neck, so you'll want to make sure that it's comfortable. Mine was an early model and I had some work done to it to make it more playable. I had the fretboard radiused and wider frets put on. That's my personal taste though, other's like them the way they are.

Either way, Eastman is really the only game in town for a sub-$1000 oval F. They sound great IMHO.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Regarding different models of Eastmans:

1. Based on violin carving rooms everywhere, I suspect the higher end mandolins with the better wood have a greater chance of being carved by a better carver. The violin outfits are well aware of performance aspects. The better carvers are more likely to be more aware of factors in carving better performing tops. The better looking higher grade mandolins are likely to be, on average, better performing as to the carving and graduation.

2. Binding appears to have an influence. Wood against wood seems to work better. The 500 and 900 series in the Eastman line seem to have a greater chance of having something different and good. Counteracted by the increasing quality of carving as one goes up the line.

3. Binding the F holes has an influence. Binding stabilizes the edge of the F hole. Or the oval hole. Stiffens it. I can really feel this in doing the mandovoodoo stuff.

4. The wood makes an amazing difference. The Eastman MD815V with red spruce shows this.

5. Break in and setup are as important as the mandolin construction. Especially with something like red spruce that's very stiff to begin with.

6. The most popular models have been the 600 and 800 series over the time I've sold Eastman mandolins.

Also, the KM172 from Kentucky is surprising. Worth considering for a beater.
    Stephen Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Matteo View Post
    Searching around on the internet, I came to see several sunburst Eastman 614...really lovely!!

Matt.
    couldn't agree more - lovely looking mandolin.

the only other affordable oval soundhole mandoln i've come across here in europe is this, below - i wrote and asked if it was made in the eastman factory (it isn't) ... haven't a clue what it sounds like:

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/mandolinframeuk.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gr3126.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	35265