Thread: Tab Request

Been looking online for a nice tab for Farther Along. I've not turned up much that interesting. Anyone out there able to lend a hand?
    Micah
    A bit of advice given to a young native upon initiation:
    As you go the way of life, you will come across a great chasm. Jump! It's not as far as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by (Dioptase @ Feb. 06 2004, 01:51)
    Been looking online for a nice tab for Farther Along. #I've not turned up much that interesting. #Anyone out there able to lend a hand?
    Micah
    You can find standard notation of the melody linehere. Converting into tab is pretty straightforward by hand; just tranfer it to a blank tab sheet note by note, which shouldn't take more than ten minutes. I think some of the various tab editors are also able to import the abc, Lilypond or MIDI files that you can find at the same URL and convert them into mandolin tab for you.

I've played Farther Along from that score, and it works fine. I suggest you play everything that's longer than a quarter note as tremolo; it suits the tune. You can add more decorations, double stops etc to your liking.

Martin

Here's a link to alltabs, scroll down to "Farther Along." You can get this in standard tab or the tabledit format. If you don't use tabledit, I strongly suggest downloading the demo version. It has been a huge help to me. You can both see and hear the song at the same time as well slow it down or turn off the lead and practice with just the background instruments.

http://www.alltabs.com/mandolin_tabs.php?id=F

Man o man. I have heard mention of the tabledit stuff but this is the first time i tried it. i downloaded the viewer and then the demo version. Sweet. Prints stuff out nicer. And you can play along....

Doesn't it have a 'mandolin' sound? It seems to be set to Acoustic Guitar (Steel) and there is no mando choice in a GIANT list (which includes b**jo of all things!).

Anything else I should be aware of? What would the full version do for me?
    Alan

Tabledit has been more help to me than anything I've tried so far, including books, CD's, and DVD's. I've only been using it a short while and I am about ready for the full version, so I second the question, what are the benefits of the full version?

With the full version, you can edit and save your changes. Also, you can import MIDI files and convert them to tab/notation. Of course, you can create your own tabs, notation, MIDI also.