Thread: Electric mando advice?

Default Electric mando advice?

OK, here's the deal: Longtime mando player, not great but love it, but my hands are complaining about pressing acoustic strings for so many years. I want to move over to an electric five-string mando. Would I be better of with a kit like this:
    http://moongazermusic.com/ba5elmakit.html
    assuming I go for the optional double pickups (so, about $500) or a Mandocaster? I don't mind doing the kit work (and would probably do it with my dad, so that's fun) but does anyone have experience with the sound of one of these? I'd be playing with pickup groups and in living rooms, mainly with a fiddler and guitarist, all for fun. Or is there another five-string in this price range anyone would suggest? Thanks for any suggestions!

David

Default Re: Electric mando advice?

David,

You might be able to find a used BlueStar 5-string in that price range. Elderly usually carries them new if you want to get a look at them. That being said, I'd go for the kit. You can finish it the way you want and you'll know the instrument intimately. Plus you'll get to spend some quality time with your Dad.

If I ever get the time, I'll probably take a crack at a moongazer kit. They look like a lot of fun to build. Good luck.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

mandoblasters are not too dear in price .
    http://www.elderly.com/brand/90N_blue%20star.html
    sound is dictated, a lot, by the pickup you choose .

maybe a type of music you want to engage in, and then the electric aficionados will speak of their favorites .

Broad category: single coil or double coil humbuckers, which can be side by side coils, or stacked one under the other around the same poles,
    or special patented designs like Don Lace's 'lace sensors'.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I'd say build the kit, unless someone has something bad to say about them.
    Building your own instrument is an indescribably joy, and you'll literally know it inside out. If anything goes wrong with it, you'll be da man to fix it!

You might also check out the IV electric mandolin kit ($160):

http://www.internationalviolin.com/i...?ItemCode=EMK2

(NFI.)
    EdSherry

Thanks all. First, the Moongazer has "Optional 2-DiMarzio pickups upgrade 1-DP186 & 1-DP188 w/3-way switch and 2-pickup pickguard" for an extra charge, and I'm told by my electric friends those are high quality. EdSherry, thanks for the link--that looks like an interesting project too, but much lower-end than the Moongazer, and I'd really like a five-string. I think Mando.Player is right--I'll probably do the Moongazer especially to get to do it with my Dad--he's 89, a decent woodworker, still active. We've made a lap steel, hammer dulcimer, and a few other things over the years--none of great quality, but it's all about the journey, ain't it? Thanks again, all.--David

Post some picks once you get it built. Have fun!
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

... perhaps .. given 2 pickups, a humbucker , stacked coil, in the neck position, and a single coil in the bridge position, to have one of each type on there.. ,
    and if not supplied, do shielding in the routed cavity, it will quiet things down.

signal/to/noise-wise

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture