Thread: A couple more Gibson A9 questions

Question A couple more Gibson A9 questions

I'm looking to purchase an A9 from 2004 that has dots on the fretboard. I didn't think any A9s were made this way (w/out someone doing a modification). Does anyone know if there was a run of these with fretboard markers?

The tuners have knobs with screws on the end, would these be grovers? If they are, doesn't Gibson use a custom set? If so, is it possible to get real pearl knobs/buttons?

I'm under the impression that it has a corian nut, but the seller isn't positive. Does anyone know when they switched to the bone nuts for these?

Finally, have they always been made with sitka?

I would appreciate any informed answers, Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: A couple more Gibson A9 questions

I seem to recall the first promo pictures of the"9" series having dots. But when the production models came out they did not have them. I think that they have always used Gotoh tuners on the "9" series but again its hard to be sure. I will also go out on a limb and say that Sitka was always used. Maybe Mr. Harvey or Big Joe will chime in.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

I also think only Sitka was used on all tops except the DMM & MM ... they have (red spruce). I had an '04 F9 that had dot inlays as well and came from the factory that way. Most likely an early one or special order request.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Quote Originally Posted by woodwizard View Post
    I also think only Sitka was used on all tops except the DMM & MM ... they have (red spruce). I had an '04 F9 that had dot inlays as well and came from the factory that way. Most likely an early one or special order request.
    My '04 doesn't have any fretboard dots... and it also has the Gibson grover tuners with the screws in the side like that A-9. I also has a corian nut, that '04 will have a corian nut too unless someone replaced it or Gibson decided to put a bone nut on it that particular day.
    I thought I would miss the dots but I found out that I don't really look at the fretboard when I play, just the side of the neck where the other dots are.
    IHMO... '04 was a great year for Gibson mandolins.
    Last edited by Nolan; Sep-24-2008 at 2:19pm.

I also have a 2004 A9.
    Has the Grover tuners and no fretboard dots. I've been told by someone who should know that it has a bone nut, though I'm not sure how you can tell.

Sean Busick

I think I'm going to have to agree with the statement that Gibson made great! mandolins in '04.
    I miss that F9 I had. It was a KILLER ! Loud , awesome tone, played easy. Sounded better than the F5G I had at the time which was a '01. Both are gone now.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

My 2004 A9 has a corian nut, I think this was standard for this model year.

Blog Entries

I believe the 2002 model I have also has a synthetic nut -- corian?

I'm not sure about this but the nut on mine is clearly not bone and looks like it might be "fountain head" a competing kitchen counter-top product very similar to corian.

Mine did not have fret board MOP dots I added them later along with a fleur on the headstock.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

My 2004 A9 has fretboard dots which I believe are original - I'm the second owner but I don't think any modifications were made before I bought it. According to the Gibson numbering system, mine was made on July 7 of that year. It has the Gibson Grover tuners and came to me with what I was told was a "plastic" nut - corian?

I have no idea how common the dotted fretboards are or when exactly they were made but this is definitely a great little mandolin. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help guys.