Thread: Tone .... importance of the sides....

My experience has made me a believer of Red Maple on the back for rich, full tone. It also seems that Red Maple may suffer some in the volume department due to its not being as hard as some other species of maple. If all things are equal w/plate craving etc. could you increase the volume w/rock maple(a hard maple) on the back and make up a little of the sweetness w/Red maple on the sides? How much do the sides contribute to the overall tone of a mandolin? thanks.

You can mix just about any combination of materials if you like and it should work, but for cosmetics sake the back and sides are usually matched. I know it isn't always the case when you buy pre cut materials to get matching back and sides ( good reason to cut your own). The degree of effect the sides have on the tone and volume will vary along with all the other 'variables', but I don't think it will make all that much difference in the long run.

Michael...thank you very much. You are "always" generous in answering my questions. In terms of using the Red Maple could you suggest anything for getting an increase of volume with this softer wood?

There should be no lack of volume because of the use of red maple. Careful attention to the arching and graduations of both the top and back, close fitting joints, 7/8" bridge height, and good strings are a good start.

5. The following members say thank you to Michael Lewis for this post: