Thread: The US$199.99 8-string solid e-mandolin?

Question The US$199.99 8-string solid e-mandolin?

I have been reading the electric mando posts (good advice such as why to consider a 4-string rather than an 8) in solid body mandolins. I have mainly looked at Eastman Mandocasters and Mandobirds - Australia's own Jupiter Creek is another consideration. It crossed my mind that an East Asian manufacturer might cobble together a few purloined elements and for better or worse put out a bright and shiny Casterbirdy. As if to address my surmise along came the 'GIVSON' (idem) 8-STRING PROFESSIONAL ELECTRIC MANDOLIN. Yes I saw it on e-bay. It certainly looks the part but can it act? Does anybody have an opinion if not experience, first hand or otherwise?

Default Re: The US$199.99 8-string solid e-mandolin?

Givsons are cheap junk made in India.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

to get a retail price and all the margins for the companies that get it into your hands , the electric components are replicas of the good stuff too , switches and pots, and jacks and the pickup itself.
    all that .. may be marginal .

Korea sourced jack [my Fender as an example] is not as solid a connection as a Switchcraft ..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Antonio Tsai (VN) has solid body mandos in his ebay store. Was wondering about them myself...

Not by accident do Indians pronounce the letter "V" as "B"...Givson indeed... Great moogily googily!

I wouldn't touch Antonio Tsai either. His mandolins reported fall apart faster than a celebrity marriage.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Claughaun View Post
    Not by accident do Indians pronounce the letter "V" as "B"...Givson indeed... Great moogily googily!
    Waitaminute. So it's pronounced, "Srinibas"?
    Last edited by delsbrother; Sep-19-2008 at 3:53pm. Reason: evidently you can't have a-x-x anywhere in your post.

$200 isn't even particularly cheap, especially if it's without shipping. A Kentucky KM-300E is only $214 shipped, and without doubt a vastly superior instrument.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I wouldn't touch Antonio Tsai either. His mandolins reported fall apart faster than a celebrity marriage.
    I have 3 of them and they don't. I have however seen the posts that say they do, but I have never seen any of those posters post photos. Talk is cheap! I have photos and review of the 3 instruments that I have. Exactly what did YOU base YOUR post on?

Well, some celebrities stay married longer than others.

I'm happy to hear that your Tsais haven't blown up on you yet. But that doesn't make a liar out of me, nor does it make liars out of other Tsai owners who have reported problems with their instruments. In other words, just because you happened to get good ones doesn't mean the bad ones don't exist.

Hey Martin, forgot to tell you - I bought a Tsai a few months ago...

I was in a particularly Gregorian mood, having just bought a Schecter Celloblaster and doing all that research into BC Rich Ignitors/Pentatars. I was lusting after a BC Rich style Pentasystem, to the point of almost buying a Pentabass (even though I suck at bass).

Then I spied a compromise - an Antonio Tsai/BC Rich ripoff Warlock child-size guitar! After some initial trepidation about sending off funds to Vietnam, I finally took the plunge... And soon my mini-Mφtley-Crόe axe arrived.

Here's my review from a thread on the BC Rich players' forum.*

I still haven't converted it into a five string, but have had fun with it as a mini-6. And while I won't be attempting Siddhivinaayakam on it any time soon, it does a passable Shout at the Devil.

Darrell

ps After conversing with the seller a few times via email, I started getting TONS of spam/phishing offers (including ones claiming to be the shipper of that particular auction item needing "additional info" to track my package). So take that FWIW.

*Warning, there are no language filters on that board...

Quote Originally Posted by martinjonas View Post
    $200 isn't even particularly cheap, especially if it's without shipping. A Kentucky KM-300E is only $214 shipped, and without doubt a vastly superior instrument.

Martin
    Hi Martinjonas. I should have included that the Kentucky KM-300E was an equal consideration alongside the Eastman Mandocaster and the Mandobird. Could you please direct me to the site of the $214.00 offer. The postage to Australia will be half that amount but I do love the Mandolin and I want an affordable solid electric. Thank you to all other respondents I appreciate the wealth of experience in Mandolin Cafe.

I didn't call you or anyone a liar Mrmando, I merely asked what you had based your post on? I don't believe for a minute I got the ONLY 3 good Tsai instruments out there. If they do show signs of deterioration I will be sure to post new reviews with pics. Otherwise, I'll post them again in 6 months and give an update on their sound. I will add that the MachineHeads on the F5 are pretty cheap. I am not experienced in luthiery so I can't comment on the bridges or the tailpieces. PH has a review on a TSAI instrument where he changed out these parts and said he made a decent instrument out of it. I guess he got the ONLY other good one too.

Quote Originally Posted by MandOz View Post
    Hi Martinjonas. I should have included that the Kentucky KM-300E was an equal consideration alongside the Eastman Mandocaster and the Mandobird. Could you please direct me to the site of the $214.00 offer. The postage to Australia will be half that amount but I do love the Mandolin and I want an affordable solid electric. Thank you to all other respondents I appreciate the wealth of experience in Mandolin Cafe.
    Here at Instrumentalley.com. For reasons only known to themselves, the site initially lists a price of $276, but when you click the "update price" button, you get another $60 off. I've ordered my KM-300E from them, and it was a quick overseas delivery to the UK at a reasonable $45 shipping with a serviceable setup. Great instrument for the price.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Sep-20-2008 at 3:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by martinjonas View Post
    Here at Instrumentalley.com. For reasons only known to themselves, the site initially lists a price of $276, but when you click the "update price" button, you get another $60 off. I've ordered my KM-300E from them, and it was a quick overseas delivery to the UK at a reasonable $45 shipping with a serviceable setup. Great instrument for the price.

Martin
    Thanks Martin - Just as you said and very simple to make the transaction in Australian Dollars. The shipping was Aus$70.00 - half of what I expected as 'usual'.
    Regards
    MandOz.