Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best builder we've never heard of?

Default Re: Who is the best builder we've never heard of?

Brian Kneeland at E. M. Shorts Guitars in Wichita Ks. Young, energetic, and very talented. I played an A style last weekend, very nice indeed. I believe his build number is under 20, mostly flats. The A I played was nicely arched and I know of at least one F4. Tasty, and he has that whole "quality improves with build #s' thing going for him.
    Also LLoyd LaPlant in Minnesota. Once in Arkansas he handed me a mando after I commented on how good it sounded. I did not know who he was. I honestly thought it was a Gil, as the headstock script is similar. He has sons building with him now I hear. There was one at Lucy/Metaphysical camp at Winfield last week, and it had that German silver bell like Gil sound to it also.
    I saw Bill Davis at Winfield also and he is still building. His web site has been down so long that I was wondering. He's in Douglas Ks. and his #1 belongs to Mackie Redd and is a monster. He had what appeared to be a new build at Winfield and had the guy with the LaPlant test driving it. It cut real good and looked real clean.
    There is some mystery guy from Oklahoma building Fs with the moniker of Thumper. This is second hand from a pal of mine, and he says,VOLUME, lots and lots of VOLUME. This is a real head scratcher, so if anyone knows what this is all about, please post.
    Mike Snyder

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I've heard a lot of good things about Fletcher Brock's work. If I were in the market for a high-end custom F5, I'd be sure to track down a couple of his for a listen.

Elmo MacDonald from Fredricton Junction, New Brunswick. Been building mandolins for 40 + years.
    Paul Josey

I can't be sure cause my ear keeps changing!
    But they are all of them here.
    david blair

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning View Post
    I'll second that. Me and my 2 friends from the symposium all placed orders with him after obsessing about his #2 in our late-night jams.
    That number 2 is a beast for sure, and mine, number 4, is heading right that way too. It's always played like a dream, but now, at nearly a year old, it's begun to open dramatically on the bottom end.

I've had the pleasure of playing all the voights, including the latest, dan's second a-5, which is here for a couple more days before it ships down to nashville. All of them are amazingly consistent so i'd argue he is a very safe bet.

looks like the next four are spoken for too!
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

Smile Re: Who is the best builder we've never heard of?

Lon Williamson out of Florida....I met him first at Merlefest in 2001.....His F5s were fantastic in tone volume fit and finish ....I a/b it against very known and popular models and his mandolins just blew them away....lows highs and especially the mids with no effort....that way you can use proper techniqe and enjoy playing.....

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bradeinhorn View Post
    That number 2 is a beast for sure, and mine, number 4, is heading right that way too. It's always played like a dream, but now, at nearly a year old, it's begun to open dramatically on the bottom end.

I've had the pleasure of playing all the voights, including the latest, dan's second a-5, which is here for a couple more days before it ships down to nashville. All of them are amazingly consistent so i'd argue he is a very safe bet.

looks like the next four are spoken for too!
    I must admit I almost ordered a Voight earlier in the year but just couldn't bring myself to buy something when I'd never played (or even seen) anything by the builder. I ended up with a Flatiron Artist but, judging by the reports, I doubt I'd have been disappointed with a Voight.

Matt

Check out Jamie Wiens of Cranbrook BC, Canada. The sound & power will knock your socks off & the fit & finish is meticulous. Also check out the Mandolin Archives to view some of his axes.
    Rob Baker

Andy Poe does awesome work
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

I would love for you all to hear Neild Instruments #0001 but being a new builder I haven't figured out how to get these instruments in the hands of serious musicians. As you well know, new builders need to be heard and judgements formed. I am working on that.

"Grey Eagle" mandolins are great for incredible tone, playability etc & with Ray Legere touring around the world with one and Lou Reid has one on loan and other notables buying these great mandos...it's only a matter of time before the word really gets out IMHO.
    keith madison

Victor Smith of Flatbush stringed instruments.

Smile Re: Who is the best builder we've never heard of?

I had been looking for a quality mid priced Loar style mandolin for awhile and believe I found the "Real Deal". It's called a "Buckhorn" and they're built by Keith Terry of Springfield, Ohio since 2001. I've looked at others for 3 or 4 times the price and the sound nor the workmanship can compare with his. All are handmade from the finest traditional woods (maple,spruce,mahogany,basswood) and can be fitted with the hardware of your choice. Go try one of his straight off of the rack and you'll easily see what I'm talking about. Each one is a distinctive work of art, a good investment, and like a good "huntin' dog", it has its' own bark. He is easy to work with and gaurantees his work.

Blog Entries

This seems like a good place for people to plug their builders so, I'll join in the fun. Jack Spira of Melbourne, Australia makes very nice flat back mandolins, zouks, and guitars using native Oz timbers.

I'm also a fan of Brian Dean and the Labraid mandolins he makes. Always unique, always a blend of old tradition with something distinctly Brian for spice.

Jamie

PS. Of course I favor these specific builders... I bought mandolins from them. What a great time to have a mandolin built for your specific desires.
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

OK I'll jump in there for my home state of Arkansas. Had the pleasure to play several of John Gathright's mandolins this year (at the Turkey Track Bluegrass festival. Old ones and new ones. They were all very nice. Gathright's are very popular around here. He's known for building keepers and is also an authorized repairman for Martin guitars. I really like the one (he called) F4 1/2 ... hybrid F4. And on top of all of that John was such a friendly guy. He's a cafe member as well.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

From my collection:

Mark Bluett makes an incredible F4.
    Richard Beard makes an incredible zouk.
    Walt Kuhlman makes an incredible OM.

I make in incredible racket on all 3.

Not unknown, but clearly under the radar: Paul Newson of Northern Michigan. Paul makes a really fine F5 and a wonderful A5, using sugar maple from the same forests that Gibson timbered. All made by hand, using handmade planes and hand-applied varnish finish. His website is: http://www.newsonmandolins.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    My F-5 is by Michael Terris from NJ. For me it is perfect in every way...but I never hear his name mentioned here. NFI.

Mine is a bit wider at the nut, and has an interesting headstock shape. Great well-balanced sound.

Larry
    Well...Michael certainly has the "look" of a great builder!

http://www.mofiddles.com/staff/mostaff3.html
    Valley Road Bluegrass Band
    www.valleyroadbluegrass.com

Go to this thread Iii #21 and a gibby ( 1 2) in the 'Post a Picture of Your Mandolin' thread. I don't know how to cross link threads, obviously. Triple iii (www.iiimandolin.com/) contructed by luthier Geoff Burghardt, a member here on the Cafe. I'm really impressed so far with the looks and tone of this instrument. Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Play em like you know em!

Gary Tope

I've had half an eye on Peter Hutchinson of Lumberton, Texas, who makes mandolins under his "White Dove" brand. I used to jam with a guy who was head of his local bluegrass association and a player in a gigging band. He had a White Dove F-5 and it looked, played and sounded great. Then I found out that Hutchison is only charging about $1,800 for F's and about $1,200 for A's, with cases! The sound clips on his website linked below sound great. This guy I knew said Hutchinson is great to deal with also.

http://www.hutchinsonhandcrafted.com/homepage.html

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

Who is the best builder you have heard of?

Before the Cafe, I only had heard of three or four builders so imagine my suprise when I found the eye candy pages here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Adams View Post
    Go to this thread Iii #21 and a gibby ( 1 2) in the 'Post a Picture of Your Mandolin' thread. I don't know how to cross link threads, obviously. Triple iii (www.iiimandolin.com/) contructed by luthier Geoff Burghardt, a member here on the Cafe. I'm really impressed so far with the looks and tone of this instrument. Dan

YUP-

Tone, volume and aesthetics all are impressive (current prices are also very reasonable). Have had # 17 since March, and she has opened up beautifully- perhaps more than I expected. I have been very pleased with the range of tones that come from this instrument, whether am using j75s or Jazz Mando-La Bellas.

A few pics HERE

NFI whatsoever, just another player whose Mandolin is like another member of the family.
    Last edited by Joel Spaulding; Nov-23-2008 at 12:16am. Reason: redundancy

Im gonna say Marty Macica of Schuylerville, NY. Very humble/honest builder of beautiful mandolins. Hasnt hit the festival trail in a couple years, but expect to see him in the up coming year. Playability of these mandolins, and the tone is what you wish for in a f-style. The mandolins definetely do things that you dont expect out of your fingers, and that just shows how special they are. He just recently finished a complete mandolin quartet. heres some pictures.

and one of his recently completed mandocello

the sound on that was incredible. could feel the vibrations all throughout my body.

so, have you guys heard of marty?
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jjboone101 View Post
    Not unknown, but clearly under the radar: Paul Newson of Northern Michigan. Paul makes a really fine F5 and a wonderful A5, using sugar maple from the same forests that Gibson timbered. All made by hand, using handmade planes and hand-applied varnish finish. His website is: http://www.newsonmandolins.com/

I have stewardship of what I was told might be one of his last single-cutaway mandolins. His site still shows the body style though, except just for mandolas.

I have photos in a couple of albums under my profile. What the pictures cannot relate is the absolutely incredible tone of the instrument. I play in a jam frequented by Martin and Larivee guitars, and the sweet sound of that mandolin fills in the high end nicely. It's currentlys strung with Pearse, and closed chords up the neck sound harp-like. No, this particular mandolin is not a bluegrasser, but for anything else-folk, rock, klez, blues, etc- it is simply exquisite no less to the ears than the eyes.

I went to my local bluegrass jam on Tuesday, and Triple iii #21 built by Geoff Burghardt sure turned some heads because of it's unique appearance and the great sound. Keep building Geoff!! Dan
    Last edited by Dan Adams; Nov-27-2008 at 9:15pm. Reason: Spelling error
    Play em like you know em!