Thread: Gibson 8-string tenor on ebay

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-1964-VINTAGE-TENOR-8-STRING_W0QQitemZ320288873384QQihZ011QQcategory
    Z33025QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Ebay Gibson</a>

So, $800+ didn't meet the reserve... The seller said "modified," but that's got to be a custom factory product; look at the length and flare of the headstock. Gibson wouldn't have put a headstock that large on a four-string tenor. Lower two courses strung in octaves. Glad I didn't see it earlier; would have been really tempted (Get thee behind me, Satan!). Looks like a full-size or nearly slope-shoulder body, reverse belly bridge, and one of my least favorite construction features: the four-pin bridge that tries to hold two strings per pin. I had a ten-string Regal tiple once that had a five-pin bridge, and if you know anything about tiples, you know how dumb that was; it went from a four-course to a five-course instrument between the nut and the bridge! After-market application of a Martin tiple bridge was the only solution...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Hmmm -- they were calling it an 8 string tenor guitar but almost by defination isn't it a mandocello or an octave mandolin now? #Sure looked intersting.

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

RE:The seller said "modified," but that's got to be a custom factory product.

Take a look at the bridge. #Would Gibson use screws to hold a bridge? #I had an early '70s Kalamazoo flattop TG that had that, but I'd never expect Gibson to do THAT.

To me, this looks like someone's near-fatal attempt at making a louder TG without the pickup and amp. #
    IMHO, 12-string guitars are pretty loud by themselves.

Back away. #FAR away, unless you're a luthier or know of one that can return it to its' natural TG state "cheaply."

More than my two cents.
    Greg

I'll agree with both Greg and Allen ... I bet it started life as a custom (accounting for the headstock), and was butchered later (accounting for the screws).

Affordable lots in the Dutch Caribbean
    http://www.bellavistabonaire.com
    Bought a tricordia

Default Re: Gibson 8-string tenor on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by mherlihy View Post
    <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-1964-VINTAGE-TENOR-8-STRING_W0QQitemZ320288873384QQihZ011QQcategory
    Z33025QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Ebay Gibson</a>

HTML doesn't work. Here's how:

[u rl=http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-1964-VINTAGE-TENOR-8-STRING_W0QQitemZ320288873384QQihZ011QQcategory
    Z33025QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem] ebay listing[/url]
    Take out the space in the first url, and you get:

eBay Listing
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Default Re: Gibson 8-string tenor on ebay

I don't play - my husband did - he's gone - it's for sale!

DAUGHTER IN COLLEGE...GOT TO PAY TUITION..HELP A SISTER OUT ..............
    Q: Hello, Would you consider shipping to Canada? Thank you very much in advance for your reply. Aug-20-08
    A: Sure, as long as you would pich up extra cost. I will only ship UPS, insured. Thanks, Greg
    Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I never met a woman named Greg.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me