Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Post An Image

Blog Entries

Default How To Post An Image

To post an image, it's really not much different here than the old forum. Just click the paperclip icon, and you'll receive a dialogue box with fields that allow you to attach images from your personal computer hard hard, or images residing on the web somewhere. See screen shot below showing the icon to click.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.gif 
Views:	343 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	34676  

Default Re: How To Post An Image

Scott - How do i find the above dialogue box ie.what do i 'click on' to open it up ?,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Good morning, Saska.

The screen capture in the first post is dialogue box you typed in just as you did to make your post in this thread. Above the area where you type--this is for Post Reply (not Quick Reply!)--is a series of icons. The paper clip represents attachment. Almost all of the icons used here are really similar to most software programs. Clicking the paper clip icon will open up a window that will allow you tools to attach a photo. I hope this helps.

There's a "post quick reply" and "Go Advanced" on the default reply box- pick "Go Advanced" To see that paperclip icon in the edit box
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Blog Entries

The photo and attachment section still lets you link outside photos by clicking the little picture icon in quickpost or Go Advanced.

Also, if you have already uploaded a photo in a previous thread the software won't let you re-upload it. This saves on server space. You will get an upload error message that shows what thread you loaded the picture into.

Then you can go to that thread in a new tab or window, and get the photos location (right click copy location with Firefox or Right click properties and manually copy the location in IE). Then use the picture icon to link to the previousy uploaded photo.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Houston - Looks like we (i) ,have a problem ! . When i click on 'Post Reply' to open up the dialogue
    box,i get the box without the top & side icons. I do however, get the 8 icons shown at the bottom.
    I'll have a nosey around to see if i can fix it,but in the meantime,if you gents can think of anything,please let me know,
    Many thanks- Saska
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Sep-12-2008 at 2:51am. Reason: Spelling correction.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Here are the three steps you need to follow.

Step 1 is to click the "Go Advanced" button in your reply window
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step1.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	34739

Step 2 is to click the paperclip icon here

Name:	step2.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	34740

Step 3 is to upload your images using browse buttons to select, upload to send to the cafe, and close the attachment window

Name:	step3.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	34741
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I noticed in the old 'archived' threads, we lost images that reside on the web. In those old posts, there is a lot of good teaching material as linked images from other sites. Are there any plans to restore those links? Example: This tab is gone, and this image, etc.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by groveland; Sep-12-2008 at 8:09am.

Blog Entries

Groveland,

I saw the tab you linked above. Confirmation is the Tune's name. My linked images came over just fine (the ones I've reviewed). Try again. I'm using IE 6.0

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

Thanks for checking, Jamie. It's on my end.

For the most part I try not to link to images on other websites. If a few years (or days) down the line the site that has the image changes we lose it for the future.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

My site's been up in its present form for 6 years, and hopefully it's not going anywhere soon - That's where the links go to. I hope to live to 120 and keep the site going. With any kind of luck, the current browser and web technologies will be obsolete long before I am.

I had reason to visit the home of the young guy who built my PC yesterday, to pick up a new PC Mouse. 15 minutes prior to that,me & my wife had picked up a 4 month old abandoned kitten that we're taking in - i don't suppose there were too many people who picked up a cat & a mouse in one morning.
    Right,here goes. My young PC building friend tried 3 different ways to see if he could get my 'image posting icons' displayed :-

1) Linux - using CENTOS 5.2 & Firefox 3.0.1
    2) Windows XP with SP3 & IE 6.0.2
    3) Windows Vista with SP1 & IE 7.0.6

Logging onto the 'Cafe (which won't now remember my password either) & going onto 'post reply'
    didn't work on any of the systems -NO icons remains.
    Having done the above,i've satisfied myself that it's NOT my PC. The problem lies elsewhere.
    I really am not too bothered about this,although at times posting an image helps illustrate a point raised. If it was REALLY neccessary,i could always contact a friend to post an image for me.
    Maybe there's a software boffin 'lurking' that could point to a solution - if not no problem,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

Quote: "i don't suppose there were too many people who picked up a cat & a mouse in one morning."

Saska,
    I was having password issues that for some reason were linked to my birthdate having a missing month. I re-entered my information and now all seems well.

Haven't tried actually posting an image in a post yet but posting in my profile has worked. Hope you find that boffin and dispose of it in a manner appropriate for such pests!

Cheers,
    Joel

Hi Joel - I was thinking of doing something very similar. I received my new 'password' (numeric) & of course changed it to my previously used one. I still have the 'new' one so i think i'll change it back,check all other bits & pieces & see how things shape up. Something obviously worked for you,
    so i'll just check my personal CP. manythanks for the hint,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Nope !! - Nothing doing there (sighs),
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Saska,

Have you followed Danb's bits below? Clicking go advanced, then clip the paper clip, browse to the file and upload them?

You situation sounds weird and unique. Clearly you are logged in as you can post and update your avatar. Perhaps a PM to Dan to look at your settings may be in order.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    Here are the three steps you need to follow.

Step 1 is to click the "Go Advanced" button in your reply window

Name:	step1.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	34739

Step 2 is to click the paperclip icon here

Name:	step2.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	34740

Step 3 is to upload your images using browse buttons to select, upload to send to the cafe, and close the attachment window

Name:	step3.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	34741

Jamie - the whole point of my post was that i don't get ANY ICONS AT ALL to click on - nothing,nada,zilch !!!. The site won't even remember my password any more, no matter what sequence i use to try to get it to 'remember' me. All i get is a blank box,with NO icons at the top & NO 'smilies' on the R/H side.
    Trying the 3 different software systems on my friend's PC,which also failed to come up with the icons, has established that my own PC is not at fault. It means that i can no longer post any image of anything on this site,more of an inconvenience than a loss,as most of the images i've posted have been for the benefit/advice of other members - Ah well !!,
    Saska
    PS - I can't even post a 'screen shot' to show you exactly what i DO get.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Saska,
    Forgive me if it seems like I am treating you like you are dense, that is not my intent but are you clicking the Go Advanced button? All the icons you are looking for should come up when you click that button.
    Bill Snyder

I attempted to upload some images from my computer to a new thread today. After executing "upload" and closing the dialog window, as DanB explains above, the dialog box popped back up with an error message saying that these files had been uploaded to past existing threads (which they had been, quite some time ago). Is posting previously uploaded files something that cannot be done anymore, or do I just need to save a previously used image with a different name?
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Blog Entries

Jeff,

I encountered this earlier too. Yes, the software prevents you from re-uploading the same file to preserve space (I'm assuming).

What you do is click the link and you get along with the error message to get to the photo you posted before.

Find the photo you uploaded before and then click it twice to get it to be alone on a new page or tab.

Copy the URL of the photo when it is alone on a page. Then paste that url in to your original reply that you were writing by clicking the insert image icon (looks like a mountain with sun) instead of the paperclip.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you, it should - I may have not been crystal clear.

Jamie

Hi Bill - No,i'm just not getting what i should be getting in the way of the message box icons. I just get a plain,iconless (apart from the eight below it) square box,with the 'go advanced' box,which in my case cannot be used to attach an image,as the 'paper clip' icon,along with the rest of the other icons & 'smilies',has gone walkabout,as they say in Oz,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

I've been having trouble. When I upload pics..........I do not get any type of confirmation that something is being uploaded. I have to guess. 30 min later I got a pic uploaded.

I;m going to guess that I'm doing something wrong...........would someone be able to explain how this process works step by step?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Keith Erickson; Sep-18-2008 at 10:38pm.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

EUREKA !!!!!! - I received an e-mail that from Jamie Stanek that i read this morning saying that
    he thought that Dan & Mike (i assume messrs. Beimborn & Edgerton) had solved the problem i've been having. I also received an e-mail from another UK 'Cafe member,Brendan Ashbrook (aka Uncle Choppy on here) advising me of the 'solution' & outlining the steps to take :-
    CP > Settings & Options > Edit Options > Misc.Options > Select - 'Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls' & select 'save'.
    Having followed the path thro.,i found that 'Standard Editor.... etc.' was already selected. Nevertheless,i selected 'save' & when i returned to the 'Quick Reply' box ALL MY ICONS showed up,
    having been AWOL for the past week - boy, are they in for some trouble,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I'm posting this separately from my previous post,to thank the people on here,who,knowing that i was having a problem with my image posting,have worked to resolve the problem. So, to Jamie Stanek,Dan B., Mike Edgerton
    & my friend Brendan Ashbrook in the UK,& the folks on here who offered their own bits of help,i say thank you all very much indeed for your help & advice in getting this problem resolved,
    Gratefully - Ivan Kelsall (Saska)
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.