Thread: Schwab mandolins

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I just got my 5-string back from Kevin after a Lazarus-like resurrection. #(I'll skip the whole saga of its trial-by-ordeal in the Texas heat.)

Kevin put way more than expected effort into sorting out problems and returning the mandolin to maximum playability. #It plays like butter and sounds great. #He is a class act all the way around and his work is highly recommended. #I thought he needed his own MC thread, plain and simple.

I've had this mandolin for 20+ years and it has always been a little spaceship. #We are about to blast off again.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I have a fantastic Schwab 5 string too. But, I also want to mention that Kevin has worked on several of my "other" electric mandolins over the years. If you are looking for a true pro emando set up, or you want to change pickups, or make any adjustments or repairs on any electric mandolin; Kevin is the guy you should talk to. #

Default Re: Schwab mandolins

I bought Kevin's #29 (built all the way back in 1982) used from a guy in 2002. I basically traded a Fender Strat (50th anniversary reissue) for it, and I feel like I definitely did better than the other guy.

About two years ago, I contacted Kevin. The mandolin was great, but I didn't care as much for the tone of the pickups as I would have liked, and wanted him to stick those Bartolinis that he uses now into it (instead of the Seymour Duncans that were in there).

He did the pickups and a refret, fixing some fretboard cracks at the same time, and re-worked the electronics and control plate for me. I never liked the traditional Tele control plate with the pickup switch toward the neck, and he was good enough to turn it around for me. Although the work was a bit costly, it needed to be done, and it was a thorough job. It hadn't been back to him since he sent it off to David Blackmon way back when it was first made, and it definitely needed the care.

He was happy to see one of his older creations return to him - the thing's damn near "vintage" now, and it sounds like a beast. I haven't played it nearly enough lately (school keeps getting in the way), but just typing this makes me want to pull it out and crank something out.
    Schwab 5-string No.29 (1982)
    Old Wave C# No.311 (2003)
    Mann SEM-5 No. 60 (2007)