Thread: Gibson history

Can someone please list or point me in the direction of the chronological history of Gibson. What I'm looking for is approximate time periods. I really am only looking for highlights such as Kalamazoo years to Montana to Nashville years and lead builders such as Weber, Carlson, Derrington and Roberts and Harvey. This is just for my use as I get confused with the Weber years vs the Carlson years etc. I am not asking which years are better or worse or anything but I wouldn't mind knowing the bolt on Vs dovetail years and any other major design change years.

From what you've said I assume you mean a history of Gibson mandolins. The history of Gibson starts with mostly mandolins, then mostly banjos, then mostly archtop guitars, then mostly electric guitars and so forth, with flat top guitars, keyboards, amplifiers and other stuff thrown in.

Blog Entries

I see what you mean TEE. Somebody here should be able to rattle off the highlights of Gibson Mandolin History. I think it would be useful to have a thumbnail sketch in one thread as well. Maybe F5LOAR? Might be better in the Vintage Instruments topic though...or maybe not?

http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Blog Entries

Have you every looked at this site?

It gives lots of information in a kind of disjointed format covering a lot of topics related to Gibson stringed insturments.

Gibson Information

Hey congrats for Alaska's new Governor! Impressive introduction.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Yes Sunburst only the mandolin history.

Tenorbanjoguy- you get what I mean- I did debate where to post this- I don't think Vintage as some are newer such as the Roberts, Harvey, Derrington eras.I guess Equipment section would work but that doesn't really include the head builders. I just would like to see it layed out in a post that I could save. It doesn't have to be very detailed with exact dates just general progression of head builders and manufacturing locations.

Had a chance to look at the site Mandolin 1944. It is informative but not quite what I'm looking for. I noticed in the F5 category they say the F5 was discontinued in 1980. Thanks for the link.

I'm looking for just the basics such as the progression of head builders and locales. I know Harvey is head now then it was Roberts and Derrington. But where Triggs and Weber and Carlson and Montana and Michigan and Nashville fit in I get confused. I know Siminoff and Macrostie are in there too. Not as interested in the ornamatation details either but the change from neck joints and the like would be nice.
    I am also not looking for any negative feedback on any model year or builder. If anyone has the time to sketch it out to me that would be great if not I understand. Thanks

Seems what you're really interested is recent Gibson history -- not going all the way back to Orville Gibson, Lloyd Loar etc. -- with an emphasis on the acquisition of Flatiron and its amalgamation into the Gibson acoustic instrument operation. Who made what style of mandolin when, stuff like that.

You probably want to talk to Joe Vest, who worked at G until starting his own shop recently, and is familiar with the information for which you're looking. He posted his phone number and e-mail address on the Cafe in May, so I guess it's OK to give it to you:

615-865-8797 bigjoev@bellsouth.net
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM