Thread: Darrell scott

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I accidentally discovered Darrell Scott when I bought a copy of Real Time at a bluegrass festival where Tim O'Brien played. I'm a huge fan now.

A great player and songwriter, with a touch and flavor that's different from the mainstream.

Any other fans?

A clip.

Another great clip. I saw him in a one man show in the old train station of Livingston, Montana (my home town). Epic.

Yeah, i'm a huge fan of Darrell Scott. IMHO, one of the best singer/songwriters out there. His simplified REAL TIME with Tim O'Brien is one of my favorites. ALOHA FROM NASHVILLE is another good CD. I interviewed him for my bluegrass show on community radio and he's just a great, humble guy.

I love the REAL TIME album too.... got it a Tim O'Brien gig in Dublin.

There some good clips of Tim and Darrell on the Bluegrass Journey DVD.
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

Real Time is a fantastic album. I only discovered it about a year ago. I've been obsessed with picking "Walk Beside Me" lately, which I was told was at least partly written for Tim O'Brien's good friend and former band mate Charles Sawtelle. "There Ain't No Easy Way" is another one that just gets you... great lyrics, vocals, and dynamics.

I noticed that Darrell produced an album called This Weary Way that featured his dad Wayne performing his original music a few years ago. I haven't heard that one, but I bet it's a gold mine.

pd

"... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (jjboone101 @ Aug. 26 2008, 06:26)
    Yeah, i'm a huge fan of Darrell Scott. IMHO, one of the best singer/songwriters out there. His simplified REAL TIME with Tim O'Brien is one of my favorites. ALOHA FROM NASHVILLE is another good CD. I interviewed him for my bluegrass show on community radio and he's just a great, humble guy.
    Darrell Scott is one of my all time favorites. I'm a fan in a huge way. The "existential humor" that is always rife in his music resonates deeply within me.

Real Time is an essential album for anyone's music collection. My favorite Darrell cut on there is probably Helen of Troy--wonderful wordsmithing there (and imagery!)

My absolute favorite is Theatre from the Unheard. That is, in my opinion, one of the best albums (along with Levon Helms' most recent album) in the last decade. Some of Darrell's best lyrics are on that album. And, myself being a Hoosier with a wife from the "Region" (northwest Indiana), the tune East of Gary holds special significance.

I like Aloha from Nashville, but that is probably my least favorite. One not mentioned is Family Tree. Probably my next favorite album. Great tunes on there like Lazarus, When No One's Around, and My Father's House.

If you were to ask me the question as to name 3 living people I'd love to have dinner with, Darrell would be on that list.

One of my absolute favorite artists. Reel Time and Family Tree are both amazing recordings. I especially like the Hummingbird Song which is about his father's Gibson guitar.

I was lucky enough to see him play solo in a small club. Just amazing. And he can play anything with strings. To see him is to be blown away.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

flyfishermandolinist

Big fan.
    Weber Bitterroot mandolin
    Harmony CBOM Conversion

flyfishermandolinist

Love his stuff on the Transatlantic Sessions on youtube. Especially this song.
    Weber Bitterroot mandolin
    Harmony CBOM Conversion

I'm a country mouse Bobbie Dier's Avatar

I love his music! I have "Aloha From Nashville" and "Real Time". I'm going to check out "Family Tree". I like Aloha from Nashville because it has (not sure this is the proper name) "Never Leave Harlan Alive". That song gives me goose bumps.

He has been in my area a few times but never got the chance to see him (always working)

He is a great singer, songwriter, musician. He even plays clawhammer banjer.

I wandered again to my home in the mountains....

I have Reel Time and The Invisible Man. Great lyricist and player. I like the story telling quality of a lot of the stuff I have heard from him.

If you have not seen it yet, go to www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp and check out show 326 of Darrell. There are a couple more shows you can listen to, but 326 has the video.
    Steve B.
    Gibson F-9
    Epiphone MM30 (the beater)
    Trinity College OM

Just downloaded Darrell's latest Modern Hymns.It is definately worth checking out.
    Steve B.
    Gibson F-9
    Epiphone MM30 (the beater)
    Trinity College OM

Yeah I love his music... Saw him at Merlefest two years ago and bought a couple of tracks from his album with O'Brien... I really liked "Long Time Gone" and of course "Helen of Troy"... Classic songwriting

Quote Originally Posted by (mandognome @ Aug. 27 2008, 06:34)
    Love his stuff on the Transatlantic Sessions on youtube. Especially this song.
    I think that's the best Youtube clip I've ever seen. Amazing.

Huge fan. I love his solo video on youtube of "Long time Gone". We saw him last year at the Four Corners Folk Fest in SW colorado. He did a wonderful set.

Oh, man. #What a talent. #I've seen him 3-4 times solo or as a duo/trio performance. #As good as his recorded albums are, seeing him solo & live is moving and jaw-dropping. #Provided you like acoustic guitar played like you've hardly ever heard it played. #I saw him play a set to a small crowd in a Tower Records here in Nashville to promote his new album, several years ago, and still remember getting chills from "Six o'clock in the Morning". #I think he's finally and very deservably getting more notice and appreciation in the last few years.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Yep. One of my favorites. GREAT singer, writer, picker. He's done some good work with Guy Clark, too playing dobro and mando and singing on it (Cold Dog Soup if I remember right).

The one on Real Time that moves me is the one started by his dad and finished by Darrell: Memory Like Mine. very moving song, I think.
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

He is the real deal.
    Bill in Tennessee
    2005 Martin OM-28V
    2013 Stonebridge G22CR-C
    1994 Flatiron A-5 Artist

You betcha. He's gotta a real gravelly but smooth voice to boot. Good stuff:D
    Ooh, he card reads good.

my favorite is live in north carolina.some of my favorite songs were written by his dad wayne scott.

Saw Darrell a few years ago at Winfield when he and Tim Obrien perfomed there. Ran into him under the grandstands at the same time one of the vendors was asking me who I liked there this year. I said this guy(Darrell) right here. Even stayed around to sunday afternoon to catch there last set. Seen him several times since then always good. Here's a video I took at the last show I saw. # # #

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkzj-1vdDn8
    martin keimig
    my youtube-kansasblues

It doesn't matter....I'm Going To Winfield...

I like him, especially the Real Time recording as I'm a big Tim O' fan too. There are some YouTube clips out there of him ripping on electric guitar as well. He's a great player.
    Passernig #42