Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27527374757677
Results 1,901 to 1,908 of 1908

Thread: What's your new fiddle tune?

Default Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Old Time: Taylor Quickstep (F/C), Kennedy Rag (F), Sweet Marie (A), Jonah in the Windstorm (D), Sailing Over England (D)
    Québécois: Reel du Semeur (D), Reel du Pecheur (Bb), Reel St Joseph (D), Louis’ First Tune (G), La Tuque Bleue (F)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Just returned from The Centralia campout. Who knew my mandolin would sound so much at home playing with a traditional Cajun Band? My head and fingers are now abuzz with so many new tunes to learn. It seems the more old time tunes I master, the more I wonder if there are any musical boundaries to this increasingly sophisticated genre.

Newcastle Texas (as unpredictably crooked as something by Thelonious Monk)
    Valley Forge (the throbbing melody reminds me more of Stravinsky than Appalachia)
    Salt Spring

Thanks for your list, above, Jim Garber. I've been listening to a Quebecois CD almost every day this month.
    Explore some of my published music here

—Jim

BRW 3-point #65 (2009)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

+1 Kennedy Rag!
    "Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Where is music to Blake's March posted? I have been playing it by ear for some time, but not sure if I have it right. Thanks
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    Taran "Springwell" Mandolin 4/16
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave, and die trying to get back to." Nash

Quote Originally Posted by dulcillini View Post
    Where is music to Blake's March posted? I have been playing it by ear for some time, but not sure if I have it right. Thanks
    Is this the tune?

(or direct link)

If so, for written notation, I found these three options:

1. An older MandolinCafe post with music notation, posted by member Mike Black in 2013.

2. A rather detailed sheet music source, for fiddle apparently, is listed at Pete Showman's Tunes Page or direct link to the actual PDF sheetmusic file.

3. The MandolinCafe TablEdit library has a page for Blake's March in TablEdit tab and standard notation. On that page, if you click where it says "Blake's March", you'll be able to download a TablEdit .tef file of the melody with MIDI 'guitar' backing, TablEdited by Mike Stangeland. The .tef file will work with either the TablEdit app or the free TEFview app, where you can playback the .tef file as MIDI sound while watching the scrolling sheetmusic and/or tab (you can choose which one you want to see) onscreen in the app. Has the usual TablEdit/TEFview handy features such as tempo adjustment (can slow it down for practice), also the ability to selectively mute either the melody or the 'guitar' accompaniment, etc. NFI in TablEdit, it's just a useful app that, apparently, a lot of people still use.

I haven't yet tried to play any of the above 3 sheet music files on actual instruments, might do that later, I did give the TablEdit .tef file a quick listen though and my first impression is that it seems to be in good working order as far as I can tell.

Seems like a cool tune.

7. The following members say thank you to JL277z for this post:

I like this transcription on Tater Joe's site: scroll down to alphabetical to find Blake's March.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Still working on Wood chopper's Breakdown ! Been tough for these old fingers !
    My two favorite pastimes are drinking wine and playing the mandolin but most of my friends would rather hear me drink wine! Adapted from quote by Mark Twain------supposedly !

Still working on Woodchoppers Breakdown ! Been a tough one for me ! My 3000th post ! A few behind Jim Garber above !
    My two favorite pastimes are drinking wine and playing the mandolin but most of my friends would rather hear me drink wine! Adapted from quote by Mark Twain------supposedly !