Page 77 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2752737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2155

Thread: What's your new fiddle tune?

Default Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Thanks I've already written out a crude version in muse (Norman gets quite ornamental) - haven't stopped playing it all day - I will try to play other tunes, but then my mind just wanders into Kennedy Rag, infectious! I think he credited it to Ellis Hall ( at least the version he learned) on the liner notes ?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

When I was playing contra dance music more often, our band always found room to play the very lively set of Ross's Reel followed by Bachelder's Reel, both in F. Both Scottish.

I believe U]High Up on Tug[/U] is traditionally played in F. My banjo playing wife asked me to transpose it to G where it has lived forever after.

And let's not forget the Scott Joplin-like President Garfield's Hornpipe in Bb. This one is a challenge, jumping across octaves in an odd key, and best mastered if we include the second and even third position. I recommend it to anyone interested in expanding their reach.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    I believe U]High Up on Tug[/U] is traditionally played in F. My banjo playing wife asked me to transpose it to G where it has lived forever after.
    All the versions i have found online seem to be in G from West Virginia fiddler Edden Hammons. I have been noticing that a lot of old time players are tuning their instruments down a step and that might be what you are (possibly) hearing for that tune.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I know it's an old one for most of you all, but I just heard Chinckapin Hunting for the first time a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. I've been picking it non-stop on guitar. If you have recommendations of good tunes to pair it with, or good versions I should check out for mandolin I'd enjoy hearing them. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    ..., or good versions I should check out for mandolin I'd enjoy hearing them. Thanks
    Here is a great solo mandolin version from Greg Clarke, at the Portland Old-time Music Gathering:

6. The following members say thank you to Niavlys for this post:

Beautiful. Love the sound of his mandolin too. Am I right in thinking he's playing three parts to the tune? I've found it as a two part tune played in D. A friend of mine located a three-part version played out of A, maybe similar to this one. I didn't sit down with the mandolin and try to figure it out, but it looks like he's playing it out of D to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    Beautiful. Love the sound of his mandolin too. Am I right in thinking he's playing three parts to the tune? I've found it as a two part tune played in D. A friend of mine located a three-part version played out of A, maybe similar to this one. I didn't sit down with the mandolin and try to figure it out, but it looks like he's playing it out of D to me.
    Oh right, I should have asked you which Chinquapin Hunting it was about, they are two different tunes, unrelated as far as I know. The D tune has two parts and is more played in bluegrass circles (though I think it would work just as well as an old-time tune). The A tune is a very popular old-time tune and has three parts. That's the one he's playing here, and he does play it in A and with the three parts.

Ok so here are a few mandolin versions of the D Chinquapin Hunting that I like:

Eric Robertson & Dominick Leslie jamming:

Adam Steffey (recording):

Adam Steffey & Sierra Hull jamming:

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niavlys For This Useful Post:

Coleman's March. Such a lovely tune.

Plus two Cajun tunes in preparation for an upcoming session.

la Maraine
    Reel de Nonc Will.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Nollman for this post:

I am working on Woodchopper Breakdown and Forked Deer. They are proving to be a bit challenging. I am experiencing difficulty keeping my pick direction consistent, especially when I try to add ornamentation. I just seem to fly off the track at that point.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Woodchopper's Breakdown in key of D

Old Time: Taylor Quickstep (F/C), Kennedy Rag (F), Sweet Marie (A), Jonah in the Windstorm (D), Sailing Over England (D)
    Québécois: Reel du Semeur (D), Reel du Pecheur (Bb), Reel St Joseph (D), Louis’ First Tune (G), La Tuque Bleue (F)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Just returned from The Centralia campout. Who knew my mandolin would sound so much at home playing with a traditional Cajun Band? My head and fingers are now abuzz with so many new tunes to learn. It seems the more old time tunes I master, the more I wonder if there are any musical boundaries to this increasingly sophisticated genre.

Newcastle Texas (as unpredictably crooked as something by Thelonious Monk)
    Valley Forge (the throbbing melody reminds me more of Stravinsky than Appalachia)
    Salt Spring

Thanks for your list, above, Jim Garber. I've been listening to a Quebecois CD almost every day this month.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

+1 Kennedy Rag!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

17. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Where is music to Blake's March posted? I have been playing it by ear for some time, but not sure if I have it right. Thanks
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Quote Originally Posted by dulcillini View Post
    Where is music to Blake's March posted? I have been playing it by ear for some time, but not sure if I have it right. Thanks
    Is this the tune?

(or direct link)

If so, for written notation, I found these three options:

1. An older MandolinCafe post with music notation, posted by member Mike Black in 2013.

2. A rather detailed sheet music source, for fiddle apparently, is listed at Pete Showman's Tunes Page or direct link to the actual PDF sheetmusic file.

3. The MandolinCafe TablEdit library has a page for Blake's March in TablEdit tab and standard notation. On that page, if you click where it says "Blake's March", you'll be able to download a TablEdit .tef file of the melody with MIDI 'guitar' backing, TablEdited by Mike Stangeland. The .tef file will work with either the TablEdit app or the free TEFview app, where you can playback the .tef file as MIDI sound while watching the scrolling sheetmusic and/or tab (you can choose which one you want to see) onscreen in the app. Has the usual TablEdit/TEFview handy features such as tempo adjustment (can slow it down for practice), also the ability to selectively mute either the melody or the 'guitar' accompaniment, etc. NFI in TablEdit, it's just a useful app that, apparently, a lot of people still use.

I haven't yet tried to play any of the above 3 sheet music files on actual instruments, might do that later, I did give the TablEdit .tef file a quick listen though and my first impression is that it seems to be in good working order as far as I can tell.

Seems like a cool tune.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

I like this transcription on Tater Joe's site: scroll down to alphabetical to find Blake's March.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Still working on Wood chopper's Breakdown ! Been tough for these old fingers !

Still working on Woodchoppers Breakdown ! Been a tough one for me ! My 3000th post ! A few behind Jim Garber above !

Blake's March
    Chinquapin Hunting

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

I used to play both of those songs, Jim. I need to pick them up again as they are both great tunes. Did you go to Centralia this summer and, if so, did you pick up these tunes there?

Here’s one I really wanna work on:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_I_hmwUMHzE

"O'Connell's Trip To Parliament", an Irish trad tune that fits surprisingly easily onto clawhammer banjo:

(or direct link) NOTE that for the above accompaniment faux-'mandolin' CGDAE guitar, in order to keep up with the banjo I had to resort to only playing about half the usual melody notes, best I can do right now without further practice (or at my age now, might be the best I could do regardless of how much practice). Also, it ain't bluegrass, thus no "breaks" or "solos", although I might try that in some future version. Oh, and at 0:43 above, I sort of lost the melody for a moment, but as my old piano teacher taught me "if you make a mistake, just keep on playing, keep the rhythm and jump back in when you can" so that's what I tried to do. (Yeah, I know, the high-pitched capo'd-up guitar sounds too shrill, I seldom play it that way but I don't have a mandolin right now so "it is what it is" and it suffices, sort of, for mandolin practice, or at least mandolin scale-length and fingering practice... Although as far as fifths-tuned instruments I much prefer the more mellow-sounding lower-pitched octave-mandolin scale length as in video below.)

An alternate earlier slower version below, this one actually has all the melody notes (and some impromptu variations) but it's my first try at playing this tune so it also has some boo-boos (duly noted as they occur) - melody on octave-GDAEB electric guitar, and trying out some different chords in Chordpulse backing. As to the pics below, I wasn't sure which parliament to send O'Connell to, so at 3:12 there are five different Parliaments to choose from, maybe one of them is the correct one. And it seems that this video's Mr or Ms O'Connell lives in a far-away region and has to travel numerous continents via steamboat, skiing, railroad, flying, sailboats, and... a... pirate ship? (such are the limitations of using only legal/free online clip art) Anyway, here's my earlier version of this tune on octave-GDAEB guitar and Chordpulse backing:

(or direct link)

Addendas to my post above:

• Here's the basic standard notation and printable PDF mandolin TAB for O'Connell's Trip To Parliament (you can look at that PDF in your browser, and also you can use that page's Download button to save the file for later, you do not have to log-in to anything). That notation is what I was loosely working from when I was first learning the tune - for the basic melody, anyway. I wrote out the repeats, so you don't have to decipher any repeat dots or anything, just play it straight through, but in essence there's really only 8 bars of notes to learn. As with any of this stuff, adapt/modify/embellish/improvise to suit.

• If anyone uses the TablEdit app or TefView app, here's a downloadable tef-format version (skip the "we're sorry can't preview" blurb and just click or tap the Download button). This one *does* use repeat dots because I was too lazy to re-write the other bars (I always have a tough time getting anything done in TablEdit, compared to MuseScore which is what I use for most stuff nowadays) and I can never remember how to copy/paste in TablEdit. This is also just the melody, no guitar accompaniment, because the chords I prefer are undoubtedly not what most people would prefer so I just didn't add any chords.
    Last edited by Jess L.; Oct-04-2019 at 2:22am. Reason: Trying to fix links.

One of my favourite fiddle tunes. I’d really like play it, but it would have to come out sounding like John Carty’s version. Not sure if it’s possible...
    Still sets me off with this crazy idea to try to (re)learn the fiddle

Paddy Lynn’s Delight.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LmMJZYtbFRI

"I don't love nobody" by The Skillet Lickers. Great C tune with an Am bridge.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Dawg Daze ( yeah I'd call that a fiddle tune)
    Ashland Breakdown,
    heres Dixie Hoedown on the Weber Black Ice Octave

Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

31. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post: